1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So...Theophobia?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Crackajack, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

***If you don't want to read the long post, a 'long story short' is at the bottom.***

So I recently found out you could 'suffer' from phobia of religion. And this could turn into a rant or something so I'll say where i stand on this now so you know where I'm coming from. I have grown up in a souley Athiest family. I have had experiances of religion but not religious experiances. Such as 3 or 4 days before new year's day in London we (the family) were walking through Hyde park, past Speaker's corner and a preacher was preaching the word of Jesus christ, handing out bibles and leaflets and the like, And we stop and listen (as sceptics we don't take heed of it) and continue walking out of the park and one of the Christians there hails us and gives me a leaflet about a course where you could 'learn' to be christian. How you would learn i don't know but you get the idea. Experiances of religion but no religious experiances. :confused:

I wouldn't say i have a phobia, but I tend to stay away from religious types over fears for their (I would hate to say corrupted so I'll go with tainted instead) opinions of the world and life and sexuality and freedom and truth and science and all those things which i hold dear. And please, If you are a christian or muslim or jew etc i do not wish to offend as your beliefs are just as precious and just as sacrosanct to you as mine are to me and believe me when i say i respect that. But it's just the things i have been exposed to over the years muslim fundamentalists and extremists when they attacked England on 7/7 and America on 9/11, Muslims killing Jews. The Catholic priest's molestation of Children and then the Catholic church's protection for the priests. The Holocaust. The list extends through centuries and decades and millenia.
    :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Now at this point you may think i am some-what of a biggot or Narrow minded hater but i have religious friends and would happily buy them a drink etc but religion itself...I can't seem to get over the killing and bloodshed it's caused. I wouldn't call it a phobia as a phobia is irrational fear. :icon_sad:
    It's also the the way religion restricts freedom. The freedom to express. As you can probably tell i am very passionate about this sort of thing. It seems to me that if you do something that say...muslims don't like, they riot like they did when the BBC broadcasted a drawing of the Prohet Mohammed which was later dicovered that this was against their religion and i find myself just watching/reading the news and thinking to myself that they shouldn't have the right to 'not be offended'. And that doesn't mean i condone or endorse being abnoxious and offencive but if someone is being offencive to you, be offencive back. In the case of the muslim riot, it's not the IBC, its the BBC. :dry: You see where im going.

Another thing that has caught my attention is Sharia Law (and for those of you who don't know what it is, look it up before continuing to read this last bit) and it's introduction into European states. Some people have dubbed it as the Islamisation of Europe but i think that's abit of an over statement. It's just scary.

Again i would like to push the fact that I am all for freedom of religion and the right to believe what you want. But i just find it all abit scary and frightening if anything.

Sorry for the long rant.

So basicaly I don't think i have an Irrational fear of religious beliefs and ideology' but the meanings and restrictions behind it...

Maybe the word 'Discuss' would be appropriate at this stage.

2. TheRoof

well i'm not so much theophobic person. i just don't believe in religion/concept of god. and overtly religious people just plain annoys me; for instance, people who just approach you and try to give a pamphlet about how god can bring salvation blah blah blah. just so rude. i don't mind if you believe in whatever, but don't tell me what to believe.

3. zeratul

zeratul Guest

I think that at this point any conclusion that is made regarding how the world and life came about is a leap of faith of some sort. Whether it is a miracle or not there isnt really evidence to support either conclusions.

Religious scientists tend to point to all the natural wonders of the laws of the universe and say that it must be the work of the creator, I say, sure what you observe is wonderful, but just as the way you write a lab report or a thesis, some interesting natural law ----> some logic ----> god exists, fill in the "some logic" part.

The other way is basically saying some natural law ----> some logic ----> there is no god.

Either way, you can't say anything. It requires faith to submit yourself to any group.

4. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

"Whether it is a miracle or not there isnt really evidence to support either conclusions." There is evidence for the big bang theory or similar theories, there is evidence for most theories else how could they have come about aside from random guess work...

5. zeratul

zeratul Guest

There is evidence that agrees with the predictions of a scientific theory, as with most universal laws. But there is no evidence that necessarily proves that the theory is a unique description of the big bang event. i.e. look at the argument between physicists and string theorists.

And I am using some key logical words here so I hope you are understanding what I am saying.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2011 at 08:22 PM ----------

Anyway what i am trying to express is do evidence provide both necessary and sufficient proofs to this age old question?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_and_only_if

6. midwestblues

The only reason people think that it requires faith to be an atheist is because of how extremely religious the world is in general. Atheists are said to have "faith" because, to a lot of people, they're presumably risking eternal torment for denying a creator. Also, very few atheists will say that they are 100% sure that there is no higher creative power in the universe. To say something like that would require faith. Atheists simply aren't going to believe that any such power exists unless evidence presents itself; so far, none has, and by simple pattern recognition, the questions that mankind currently doesn't know the answers to will be answered by science eventually.

7. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Well I completely understand this approach to atheism which is what my own position is. But, in being purely and pedantically and semantically accurate in the position the label "atheist" means different things to different people. There are multiple degrees of non-belief but I think the fundamental commonality is that we all believe that the scientific method will lead to answers, and religious suppression of scientific efforts or progress is undesirable.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The problem that many people have with religion is that they have been seen as evil because of the few extremists.

Yes, humans have done terrible things in the name of religion, but religion has also helped many people through out history. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the first mathematicians were Muslim and were inspired because their religion tells them to acquire knowledge.

I'm not saying that you should be religious or not. To each its own, but it seems that you are putting ALL religion people in tho this single box whose "opinions of the world and life and sexuality and freedom and truth and science and all those things which i hold dear." which is simply not true for EVERY religious person out there.

Don't be religious, thats fine, but try not to stereotype this large group of people into one simple definition. Also, its curious that people still try to state a difference between religion and science when we have so many scientists right now that are able to balance both things in their lives.

Just my 2 cents.

9. jrnewton2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What a fantastic word!

Yes, I'm a theophobe. I have very little respect for those who ascribe to a specific religion, because I don't think they've really thought about how arrogant one must be to assume one holds the answers to humanity's largest questions in a religious text. I just don't think a person like that can have really, objectively, thought it through. Now, I'm not gonna go out and try to de-convert anyone, but I don't really have any religious friends and I think arguing with religious people is a fantastic pastime.

I don't feel bad about being a theophobe because religion is a conscious intellectual choice, having nothing to do with a person's nature. I just don't gel with the religious. And that's okay.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

So, you would lose respect immediately if someone has a religion? Doesn't matter how smart, nice or good of a person they are? Just because they are religious they are not worthy of your consideration?

That' really sad. Considering that if you change the word "religious" for "gay" you get what homophobes think about us.

What about paganism or any other small religion out there that doesn't follow any religious text at all? Or any type of "hybrid-religion" that people might have?

You are certainly allowed to have your own opinions, but you are being extremely rude to everyone that is religious.

11. zeratul

zeratul Guest

I think there is a reason why a young person can make up his mind given the circumstances he is in, and no you can't substitute the word gay for religious in that context, because religion is a choice, being gay is not.

In terms of attitude toward finding answers, there is definitively the right way and the wrong way. The right way when you don't know the answer to a question is to go and find answers, and until you have found the answer that you can explain and prove from step 1 to step N, you will only acknowledge and/or make conclusions about what you have discovered thus far. This is why I personally believe that I will not say whether there is a creator or not.

The wrong way to approach the solution is to jump from step I to step J without any critical thought of your own. You may derive this from a feel-good perspective, and if considering you are in need of a feel-good solution to your problems in the world, this is understandable. But again, this is a choice that I think every person will make in their life time, whether to just set your mind free and go with the whims and the guilty pleasures of believing in a God, or whether to set your mind free and go with the whims and the guilty pleasures of assuredly denying the existence of God. Notice that I used the same phrase twice for both situations again.

12. Fintan

I'm confused.... who's the arrogant one? :icon_bigg

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I was actually referring to the idea that homophobes do believe that being gay is a choice and that many of them don't even want to listen to reason because why would they ever listen to someone that is gay or gay-friendly?

This is exactly what I was referring to. You don't even know me, yet you try to fit me into this stereotype thinking that I'm religious when in fact I don't follow any religion.

All I said was that he was being rude to others with his statements.

Again, I don't mind what other people believe in. That's their life and I don't think there is a right or wrong answer for it. I just can't fathom the idea of someone losing respect for another person JUST because they are religious.

14. zeratul

zeratul Guest

No I actually did not think you were religious.

And the point I was making to you is that a lot of people his age think they know all of the world and have made some final conclusions. He will probably look at his own attitude in 10 years and laugh at himself.

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

My apologies then. I misunderstood what you were saying :slight_smile:

16. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

IMO, if there was a creator, where the heck did he come from? This 'everpresent, always been there' stuff doesn't fly in my mind. If our world is complex, he must be pretty complex as well... A God is not feasible if you cannot explain where he came from. Also, no offense to any religious people. xD It is just my belief. Also, though I do not agree with religion, I have met very intelligent religious people. I just choose not to discuss belief because we are too stubborn to move in either one of our beliefs.

#16 silvousplait, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
  17. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I don't mind people being relious but I hate it when they try and force it down my throat and over the population, As far as I am concerned they can go shove it were the sun don't shine.

18. Flyers2011

I'm religious. I was baptized Luthren, but I've converted to Buddhism (though I still believe in God). Buddhism helped me accept myself more because of the teachings and beliefs of the religion.

I think if the world really wants to get along better, more theological understanding has to come through. Where I'm from, if you're anything but Christian, people will literally lose respect for you. And many don't even care to learn about these other religions. My friend (who's also Buddhist) had a copy of the Dhammapada (Buddhist scripture) with him and his friend said to him, "get that shit away from me." It's disgusting. When we have Honor's dinners (for people with high GPA's) they make us pray. Which, because I believe in God, doesn't offend me in a religious context, but it offends the part of me that believes in the separation of church and state. I go to a public school, there should be no praying. If I tried to lead a meditation instead of a prayer people would be very upset.

There are always the zealots. I encountered a group from a church at my college campus and they were very polite to me and they asked me if I wanted a little Bible. I had a very pleasant conversation with them. There was no, "if you don't take this God will smite you." A week later, there was a guy holding a 10 foot sign about God condemning [insert my college's name here] because of all of the partying and drinking. The first is a healthy way of expressing religious views. The second. No. Not at all. He was screaming at kids in the quad. It was scary. But the zealots are just a small percentage of the religion. They may get more coverage because of their antics, but they're not representative of the religion as a whole.

I think even if people don't believe in a religion they should at least respect the views of others. And if a religious person encounters an atheist or an agnostic they should respect their views as well.

19. jrnewton2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes to the losing respect part, no to the unworthy of consideration part. Everyone deserves to be heard, but I also have the right to not like what I hear. I have much more respect for someone who's willing to admit they don't have all the answers and who has the courage to look for them. Respect is, after all, earned.

I doubt any religious people are gonna mind. And if they do, they can buck up and move on. I mean, really, people offend me all the time and I'm still kickin'. If someone cares that much about my opinion and whether or not I respect them, their priorities are seriously out of order.

@Fintan
    Touché! :lol:

20. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well I dont see any thing wrong with the religious people preaching in the park and people handing out leftlets. I believe in free speach and anyone has an right to express what they want to express, unless it incites violence or physical harm to others.

I can understand why people become religious as they want inner peace and its an solution to them as they see as an cayotic world.

However what offends me about religion is that there are people out there that are forced into religion.