1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mania

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thedreamwatch, Feb 6, 2011.

1. I was diagnosed bipolar when I was about fifteen, so this is not really anything new, but I still have a lot of trouble sleeping when I'm manic. I'm on meds, but that doesn't really "cure me" it just gets me under a reasonable amount of control.

Tonight, for example, I have been laying in my bed for hours in the darkness feeling like I'm vibrating at the atomic level. My mind is completely abuzz and I cannot sleep at all. Usually this lasts for a few days until I reach complete exhaustion and sleep for a really long time.

This time, I really can't do that. I have school and I'm on probation at school so I really need to keep my shit together.

I don't really need medical advice on treatment of my bipolar disorder, I've got that on lock after all these years of trial and error, but I do want to ask is if anyone knows any really good ways to calm down and relax into sleep.

It's too late for tonight, but one night isn't something that will wreck me. I'm still hoping that maybe I can head this off before my whole week is destroyed.

So, deep breathing? counting sheep? anything?

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2011 at 12:54 AM ----------

AAAAAAAAAAAAND I just realized that I posted this in the wrong place, sorry guys :/

2. TraceElement

I dont have the bipolar diagnosis, but i have been diagnosed with ADD and anxiety, so my mind can definately go into overdrive. Its either my mind will not stop thinking about a certain problem or issue or its just "white noise" type thing where i will hear white noise from a radio and when i close my eyes all I see is something like a tv that doesn't get a signal if that makes sense.
    When my brain goes into overdrive, i usually turn on a movie or tv and fall asleep to that to focus my attention on something that isn't my current problem. I don't know how you feel about taking extra pills, but Valaran Root slows my brain down some, and if you take a sleeping pill (Unisom, Tylenol PM etc) or Melatonin may help you get some added sleep in your manic phases. And, deep breathing before getting into bed can't hurt.
    Sorry for the long winded-ness, but hope this helps.

3. x2x2x2x2y2

Warm milk or a warm shower might help.

I'm bipolar too, but I only go through hypo-mania. I know what you mean about the meds only giving you some control. I don't have trouble sleeping when I'm going through my hypo-mania, so I can't help much. Don't know if you should, but there's always sleeping pills (er, "sleeping aids").

4. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

I often have troubles with sleeping. I figure I am just an insomniac, but I am not sure as I have never been examined for anything psychological.
    There are nights when I can't sleep all night, and usually I have an instinct for whether or not I will be able to sleep that night. I can lay there for hours and not be able to fall asleep. Usually I just stay up and focus on some schoolwork because it helps me focus. I also believe that eventually after working out enough problems my mind will be exhausted enough to finally fall asleep.
    Sometimes you can lose sleep from lack of physical activity. You are supposed to have at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day. I find that sometimes I cannot sleep because I literally have too much energy.

5. KnightAssassin

well usually when i can't sleep i pop in a movie that is not action but grabs attention , like a musical works for me .... i have [ try not to take melatonin valerian root st johns wart , or just a drink called drank or sippin syrup which is pretty much alot of those mixed with stuff ] sleep aides ..... now i am supposed to be on sleeping pills ... hope this helps

6. Thanks everybody, I'll give some of that a shot tonight....math class now, but there are three hours of sleep under my belt. better than none, though.

but seriously, thanks again.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2011 at 07:08 AM ----------

This is almost exactly what happens to me. Last night it was Joan Jett's music. (I wish I were kidding....) Sometimes it's spiders. These things are what my brain focuses on and I cannot stop. The other thing is less of a "white noise" for me and more of a swirling colors and lights that my brain constantly tries to make patterns of until I go insane and have to try and focus on something else....