1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like I just set myself up for disaster.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BudderMC, Feb 7, 2011.

1. BudderMC

Not a whole lot to this story, my friends and I finally found a house everyone loves, only thing is that it's a 7 person and we had 6. No problem, we just found another friend to join us. Thing is, he's uber religious and had a very sheltered Mennonite life. No kissing, no sex, no swearing, hates gays/just ridiculously xenophobic in general, etc. He's fine in small doses,but living together is a lot different than seeing someone for a few hours. He also just lacks common sense in general. So yeah, we just signed the lease tonight, and I'm getting that feeling like I just signed my death wish. I'm not out yet to any of them, but was planning on it soon, since I'm confident they won't have a problem with it, besides him. One girl is apparently pansexual (told two of us the other day), and even though she's not he type to take shit from people, even she knows it's goin to cause problems if she happens to ever bring a girl home.

I just feel like we set ourselves up for trouble. And now it's legally bound, so there's no backing out even if I really wanted to/could. Ultimately, I'm not going to be in danger or anything, but I don't want to condemn myself to being closeted in my own home for the next year or three or my life. Blah.

2. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

There should be no problem. If most of them support you then one individual not supporting you is his problem, not yours. If he doesn't like it, he can go to hell. :slight_smile:

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I live down the street from a Mennonite church, and a lot of them live in my general vicinity, and they are always the nicest people. I really don't think he's going to be openly hostile or anything like that but I'm just speaking generally here.

If he's lived a really sheltered life, then why do you even care what he thinks at all? He sounds like a total idiot. If I was in your position I would come out as planned, if anything, just for my friend's sake. At least that way she wouldn't have to face him alone.

At the very worst, he condemns all of you to hell and completely isolates himself or he breaks the lease and moves out. At best, you broaden his world view and you make a new friend. You never know. People surprise me every single day. You absolutely cannot let him start to browbeat or bully you though. If you let him start it won't ever stop and it will continue to escalate. If you do come out, be firm about it.

Put on your hero face and tell him how it's going to be. It's his problem, not yours. Good luck. :thumbsup:

4. This ^ :slight_smile: