1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help in Putting Myself Out There

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by perfectscorpio, Feb 8, 2011.

1. perfectscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I've been out of the closet for a little over a year now and I really feel like I'm finally in a good place to SERIOUSLY put myself out there more in terms of dating and finding a possible relationship. But I'm not entirely sure how to take that next step.

I put SERIOUSLY in capital letters because I've been stressing and putting so much pressure on myself for not having a boyfriend, trying to find one, and wondering if there is something wrong with me in that I'm not dating or anything. I've been dealing with those issues for quite a while.

But now, I'm all good. I'm in a good place in my life right now, and I just wanna have fun (not really in the way that that sounded) and put myself out there in a good way.

Any advice on this would really be great! Thanks! :icon_bigg

2. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Hmm... maybe you should ask like a bestfriend or something if they know anyone( Iv'e thought about doing this myself but I'm not too fond of my bestfriend's taste in guys XD) that they could introduce you to or that you could introduce yourself to them( but try to befriend them first before asking them out Xd)... I'm not sure if that would work but you could try :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. GreyGirl08

perfectscorpio,

It's funny that you say this because I "put myself out there" for the first time this past weekend. I'm sort of seeing this girl, but she's in a poly relationship, and it didn't really count when we got together because she's a bartender, and bartenders have to talk to you! So this past weekend I went dancing at my favorite club (which also happens to be a gay club). I was dancing with my friends, and in walks the only attractive woman I have EVER seen come into the club! I had never asked a girl out, so I was panicking! I go over to get some advice from the bartender, and it turns out that he's newly single, and has no idea how to talk to people either! Eventually, after fumbling around, I did it. I went up to her and I said, "Excuse me, are you spoken for? Because I'd love to dance with you." She promptly replied that she was, and that her wife of 6 years was standing right next to her! I told her that her wife was a very lucky woman, she said that she was flattered, and I walked away. Was it a little mortifying, absolutely! But after I got over that, and the 6 years part (haha), I felt really good. I have broken the ice, I have put myself out there, and next time it won't be so hard.
    I guess what I'm saying is that putting yourself out there is like jumping into a cold pool--it's shocking at first, but then, once you're in, the water slowly gets warmer. So take some close friends, go to a gay club, dance it out, and ask a guy out!

Good luck!