1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not a very convincing comment...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crimsonarcher, Oct 18, 2007.

1. crimsonarcher

my cousin rode with me on the bus ride home, and i brought up the topic of the new gay marriage commercial that's been airing recently, and then he said:

"I don't get it how gay people want to get married?
    it should only be between straight couples.
    It doesn't make sense."

I felt so low and down...

He is a very supporting cousin like many others, but i don't think he'd support me if I decided to get married one day......maybe he might though, for me?

2. Grof142007

who knows people change when they found out it affect somone they love

3. Torture

Torture Guest

You never know. Someday he might change his mind about Gay Marriage. In my honest opinion, every state/country should accept Gay Marriage. It's love.

4. Louise

Don't let thoughtless comments like that get you down. If the subject ever comes up again you can remind your cousin that gays are human beings not aliens from outer space and some feel the need for marriage for exactly the same reasons as straight people... it's as simple as that, there is nothing to understand.

I think he probably spoke without thinking. If he is supportive of you now there is no reason for that to change in the future, he probably just hadn't really thought about it. :kiss:

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think its important that the GLBT community start using the words "marriage equality". When we call it "gay marriage" it makes it sound different to what straight people have. Marriage equality is just that. Equal rights for all. I would simply say to your cousin that all people deserve the rights, protections and responsibilities of marriage whether gay or straight.

6. SpikySpice

Well, he is straight, tho he supports you, but deep in him, he naturally thinks it's weird about gay marriage or marriage equality as Becky prefered

But yeah, he may chnage someday

7. nisomer

you will wont believe how fast someone's thoughts on gay issues change when the realize that someone close to them is gay. i bet if you told him, he would change. many times, people dont really think and understand issues until it hits home and affects them personally.

8. xequar

Personally, I'd love to see marriages done away with entirely, at least from a governmental standpoint. I think the government should do civil unions only, with the rights and privileges of marriage. If you want to be "married," go to a church and do it, but it wouldn't mean anything legally. To make it stick legally in my scheme, you'd have to go before a Justice of the Peace or whatever and get a civil union.

Just my wacky thoughts though.

9. ALieToDieFor

Texas City,TX but Huntington beach,california atm
    The thing people dont understand is that some of the people they love and have fun with the most are gay.
    Think about it.
    If you were straight and thought like your cousin and your cousin was gay and he told you.Would you change your mind?
    In my opinion you would because he is cool.
    Cool...and Gay.