1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going on my FIRST DATE tomorrow - HELP!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by titaniumCloset, Feb 10, 2011.

1. titaniumCloset

I'm getting lunch with a guy tomorrow as our first date. We met online (lame, right? oh well) and I've never met him before. Just chatted online a bit. He's pretty cute so that's a plus but I don't know much about him. I'm nervous. :frowning2: Been trying to think of things to talk about so I think that will be okay as long as I don't freeze up. I don't really like eating in front of others but he recommended lunch so I guess it's gotta happen.

Meeting him tomorrow at his dorm then we're going. Any tips? Who pays? I was thinking just split it...? Any do's/dont's?

I'm nervous that a) I won't like him b) He won't like me c) It will be awkward.

It's my first "gay date" ever, really my first date ever. HELP IF YOU CAN!

2. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Omg 0_0 (My bestfriend met her boyfriend online XD) btw just be careful! Remember that people you meet online aren't always who you think they are :/ and just be yourself I guess since he liked you for you...no?

3. Idonteven

I've met a guy from online before, its more and more common so no, its not lame at all. :slight_smile:

My advice is to just relax. Don't go in to this thinking of what might come out of it. Be yourself as much as you can :slight_smile: When it comes to paying, well that can be quite awkward. My first instinct is to pay the whole thing but some people don't like that and they prefer to pay. You could try the wait and see approach. They might come to pay or offer to split.

As for the talking, I too get nervous about this. I'm terrible at conversation because my mind goes blank but trust in the other person. Worst comes to the worst, if you do like him, smile at him, look into his eyes and he'll get the message. Chances are he'll be nervous too. Unless he's really confident. If he's a nice guy he'll understand.

I don't really like eating in front of other people either so I'm with you there but lunch is a good first date idea in my opinion :slight_smile:

4. EM68

Congrats on your first date!! Make sure you meet in a public place at first...Its always safer. As far as conversation, since you guys have been communicating before, maybe choose a topic that you guys have the most in common. As far as eating out pick out something without a lot of sauces or too spicy. That way its less likely that you will stain your shirt. Good luck! Let us know what happens. :slight_smile:

5. titaniumCloset

Thanks for the help so far guys. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Still nervous, but hopefully he calms me down if we get along. I'll definitely let you know how it goes. And I know he's not a psych-murderer because he's an RA in one of the dorms and I saw his picture listed once, heh.

6. titaniumCloset

Ahhh well it went better than expected.

I wasn't nervous at all until 5 minutes before. Then I was more like "Oh God I don't want to go! But I have to...told him I'd be there." So we met at his room and then headed out (walked) to this restaurant nearby. Surprisingly there were only a few silences, most of the time we had stuff to talk about, and it wasn't just like one person quizzing the other on their life, but more of a conversation. I'm proud of myself. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: He's had a boyfriend before and he knew it was my first time, so I think he took the lead. He suggested we do it again sometime so I guess he might have liked me. I'll see if he contacts me, as before the date he was the one who was really trying to get a date.

7. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

ROFL!
    I'm glad everything worked out for you! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. EM68

Good for you! See it wasn't too bad. :slight_smile:

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good job, man! I'm glad it went well. How did the who pays thing go?

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in this situation a few weeks ago. Remember you're just trying to get to know each other, and meeting onlineis not lame. Until we gays start wearing signs that say gay on them, we never know who is gay and blah, blah, blah

11. Ianthe

If he doesn't call you in a few days, go ahead and call him. Don't assume that he doesn't really want to see you again. He might think it's your turn. It's not like in straight relationships, where everybody knows who's supposed to call and who's supposed to wait for the call. He might think that, since he has done all the asking so far, he should wait for you to make the next move, so he won't come off as too pushy or needy or something. He might even worry that you aren't really interested.

Since you had good dinner conversation, you probably have some ideas now about what he's interested in. If he doesn't call you in two or three days, call him and ask him to do something you think he would like, based on what you talked about at dinner.

He asked you out, so presumably he was already interested in you, and if you think the date went well, then he probably had a good time too, and he will still be interested.

Anyway, he could also like you enough to accept your advances, without it necessarily being enough that he will make any himself, especially if he isn't sure you're interested.

12. titaniumCloset

Well the whole paying thing was kinda funny. He was like "Oh I'll pay" at first and I was like no it's cool lets just split it. Then he was like I only have a $20 (the bill was ~$16) so I was like oh ok I'll just pay, since I had a card. That was that. Then the waiter came and said CASH ONLY(It's 2011 woman, get your crap together! Lol) So then he ended up paying hah. I said I'd get the next time. :wink:

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The paying game is always fun to play >.> haha

Glad you had fun :slight_smile:

14. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, funny how that turned out :icon_wink Good job saying you'll pay next time, indicating that you want to go out again. I hope this is the start of something good for you :thumbsup: