1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showing interest after a year of friendship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Owen, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

There's this guy I've been friends with for about a year now. Our friendship got started when I worked up the guts to ask him if he liked guys (he said, "I don't care either way,") and if we could hang out and get to know one another better, because I thought he was cute (I told him all of this). So we got to know each other over the course of a year, and I've grown quite fond of him. I've lost countless hours talking with him about nothing in particular because I just enjoy his company that much, and he's said in no uncertain terms that he enjoys our long talks, too.

Considering how long it's been, I feel like it's been long enough that I can start to show interest and see if he returns it. This, however, is complicated by two things. One, I have Asperger's, so I'm not sure how one goes about showing someone that they are interested in taking things further than just friendship. Two, he also has Asperger's (which I found out just recently), so I'm worried that any subtle things I do or have done will go or have gone right over his head. As such, I figure I can just ask how regular people show their interest in other regular people in situations like this, and just adopt it to fit my specific predicament. (I also plan to ask him "how good he is at the things we aren't supposed to be good at", just so I can know how overt I need to be.)

Which brings me to my question: if you were friends with someone for a year, someone who knew of your intentions going in [but then again, maybe he didn't because he didn't equate "you're cute" with "I'm interested in more than just friendship"], how would you show that you were interested in taking things further with them? And if they didn't know your intentions going in, how would you show them?

2. adam88

I'm in a similar situation only it's with a friend of 3 years, who's out of the country for a year and doesn't know I find him cute in the first place. So let me know if you find a way. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Maybe just ask if he's interested too. That's straightforward enough that it would be very difficult to mistake the intent. Just say that you really enjoy his company and you feel like maybe you could be more than friends and ask if he also feels that way. It's hard to not dance around it, especially when you really like someone, but the only way to really know is to ask.