1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transexual or Lesbian...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by peaceandlies, Feb 11, 2011.

1. peaceandlies

Up until a couple of months ago, I've been pretty sure of my feelings towards my gender. I'm female, but I have higher than normal testosterone and really low levels of female hormones. And I was okay with that. But it just doesn't seem right anymore, and I'm seriously considering HRT for the first time since I was ten.

So my questions are: how the hell do I make that decision? How do I get the drugs? (can I get them at a chemist or do I have to get them through a doctor?)

I'll have to discuss it with my parents at one point, especially to get the drugs if I have to go to a doctor, and I don't know how they'll react. They weren't too bad about me being gay, but I have a feeling this will take things too far. My sexuality isn't exactly a banned subject, but its not one that goes well with us.

2. Mogget

This one's easy. See a therapist. Because seeing someone who understands gender identity is very important (and not all therapists, even trans-friendly ones will have enough understanding to help you) I recommend getting in touch with a local gay outreach group to see if they have lists.

3. peaceandlies

The words local and gay doesn't fit into the same sentence around here. It might get easier once I move back to England, but right now, there is nothing I can do. My parents won't let me see a normal therapist until they know why and I can't tell them.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Just pointing this out. Being transsexual is about gender and being a lesbian is about sexual orientation. Both are very different things and don't necessarily go hand in hand.

That being said, you do have to go and talk to your therapist about it. Your post is a little bit confusing and I don't really know what you want. Either way, if you have gender identity issues you might really consider talking to a therapist.

You can give your parents any type of excuse that you want. Whatever you think will get you an appointment then tell your therapist what you really want and ask her/him for help in telling your parents.

5. Eleanor Rigby

Well, first, I you can't buy T-shots like you're buying paracetamol. Not only do you have to get them through a doctor, but you also have to start with talking to a therapist about your gender identity issues. Considering HRT is not the same thing as considering dying your hair, it implies LOTS of change you have to be aware off before starting it, and you have to be quite sure about the reasons why you want to do that.
    Sure, it's not as definitive as sex reassignment surgery, but still, I doubt many people start HRT without being sure of the gender they identify to (and that is not their biological gender).
    It seems to me that it is far from being you case. I'm not saying you don't have serious questions about your gender identity and that it's not worth exploring this and try to find answers to them, but it is far too early for you to consider taking HRT.
    The best thing for you to do is probably to find a therapist to discuss the issues you're having with. If you don't want to tell your parents why you want to see a therapist, maybe you can just tell them you haven't been feeling so well in your own skin lately and that you need someone to discuss your issues with.
    If you feel like you may feel better identifying as male, you can also start trying wearing more manly clothes and see if this is feeling right for you.

I hope this can help a little.
    Take care, Cécile

6. peaceandlies

I understand about the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity - I know I like girls for sure now, and my problem now is figuring out whether I identify as female or male.

Sorry about the confusing post. What I want is help deciding. I've just managed to tell my parents I want to see a therapist, and it seemed to go alright.

Ok, thanks for the info.

As I said above, I've managed to get my parents to pay for an appointment, so I'll discuss everything with the therapist. As for dressing more manly, I highly doubt that would be possible. I've been wearing male clothes for about three years.

Thanks so much for the help, all. Sorry about the late reply, I've had some internet problems for a couple of weeks and I've finally got it back.

7. TraceElement

That's me as well. If you haven't already get checked for PolyCystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). I have PCOS, and one of the blood tests done was hormone test and my male hormones were elevated and female hormones were on the low side. Also, if you have irregular periods, which is a sign of PCOS, going on the Pill will help regulate the hormones.

With that being said, I sometimes feel like being female is odd or not right, and I identify more with males, but that does not mean I want to be a male. I don't know if this is because of the hormone imbalence due to PCOS (for me anyways) or just my way of thinking.

Sorry for the rambling, but I kind of felt like I had to respond... hope this helps!

8. peaceandlies

I have PCOS. Or at least, my mother and her mother do, and it would be a very big stretch for me not to. And I don't have periods, irregular or no, and I'm not looking to start any time soon.

Anyway, on the subject of transitioning, I've had a talk to a therapist. He told me to wait, which is irritating, but I don't really have a choice at the moment, so I need some alternatives. Does anyone know of a site where I can get binders and the like? I've been looking around shops, and I googled for online shops but I couldn't find anything. It has to be in Europe, since I'll never get my dad to order anything from the US, especially without knowing what it is.