1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real or fake emotions.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Crackajack, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

Ok so the story behind this post is as follows;

On friday night a 'black tie' valentines ball (Piss up) was to take place which i went to. Needless to say i had no valentine as there are very few gay guys around where i live so i go alone. I get past the security ("security for a load of 15 year olds?" i thought - I hadn't been to an event like this before) and all but 2 people were drunk to some extent. This became evident by the dancing, expressions, limpness and Hugs & kisses i was given as i walked towards a group of friends. -Now at this point i should explain i am completely out to everyone. All my friends are very, almost too, comfortable with my sexuality and offen joke and hug me, pure messing around stuff when at school.- And Alot if not all my guy friends greated me with varying degrees of sexual...display? From kissing and hugging to grinding my leg:icon_redf. Not that i minded i have to say.:lol:
    The night ended in me getting back home at 11:30 after tending to a friend after his drink was spiked. But anyway on the way back my mum told me that alcohol can make people feel more like they can express themselfs without having to 'act' or be who there not and make themselfs more open, to lower their guard as well as all the negative things alcohol does.

So I'm wondering what I should think. Were my friends being themselfs when they greated me and all that stuff, or was it purely the alcohol. Part of me wants it to be them (because they are excrusiatingly hot...:dry:slight_smile: and part of me wants it to be the alcohol because they are really good friends.

And suggestions on where to go? Maybe i should just forget about the night...:icon_redf

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drunk straight guys are both a blessing and a curse.
    Sometimes, they use being drunk as an excuse for letting themselves go. Maybe some of them aren't as straight as they say and hide it.
    Then again, they might be just as straight as they say and enjoy messing with you.
    For now, I would assume they're straight and wait for another study opportunity... ya know, just in case. :wink:

3. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

WOW! 0_0 I wouldn't think on it 2 much since they really didn't say anything maybe they just wanted to have fun :/ (not that I've ever been drunk) And yea it is true people can express themselves more when they're drunk but there might only be a slight chance thant they actually like you that way and might not probably act on it normally since they might not want to live that kinda life style :/

4. Aya McCabre

It could well be curiosity coming through but if they wouldn't do it sober then it's best to ignore it. If one of your friends got drunk and did something they later regretted.... with you..... you probably wouldn't see them again.

5. midwestblues

Depends on how drunk they were. Tipsy: there could be something there. Shitfaced: forget about it; they were displays of friendship gone overboard.

6. olides84

I totally agree with that, having also experienced the hugs and kisses from touchy-feely but quite shitfaced friends. Probably the only thing to take from this is to be happy that you've got some good mates.

7. Beachboi92

dude i had this same exact problem like last night. A straight army friend invites me to go to the hookah bar we meet up and i meet some friends of his and make friends (one is a lesbian girl in the navy and we are like soul mates with the wrong equipment xD) and afterwards we go back to the barracks and get drunk. Well oddly the guys in the room where just as comfortable with watching my ass move to the music as they where hers (to the point of it sometimes made me uncomfortable) then we get outside and i don't have a jacket and my friend decides to "warm" me up and succeeds in giving me a boner with his rubbing and warming embrace xD

Then later he asks me if i think i could "turn someone gay" which was odd question but we where all so hammered no one but me seemed to think anything of it. Now i must say this is also the friend that offered to make out with me once if i would let him also make out with my other friend who is a girl (he was really drunk and i didn't want my friend getting hurt so i kept him at bay) and admitted to me that he thought androgynous guys where hot and he almost did stuff with one but he couldn't get himself to do it because how his family is and he didn't want it to get found out and have them "disappointed" in him.

Then when the night is rapping up i ask "so am i sleeping in your room or what" as he is the only one there who i had known longer than that night. At that moment he gets all awkward and seems spooked and is like "no no no" and i'm like "ok then i'll sleep with S" (the lesbian girl and both her and him had spare beds in their room).

I don't mean to take away from the thread with my story but my advice to you and myself is don't read into it. If you do, no matter wether the feelings or emotions or actions are legit or not, if they are not willing to admit they are then all you get from treating them as such or pursuing is the loss of a friendship and all sorts of other complications and problems.

8. TraceElement

Since you said that your friends are naturally "comfortable" with your sexuality and do that all the time, I am inclined to say that it was them being them, but I don't know your friends, I can't say for sure. I believe that drunken actions are sober thoughts, but also alcohol does lower your inhabitions (totally butchered that word, sorry) and you do more stupid stuff with more gusto.
    My best advice to you is to keep that memory in the back of your mind, but leave it as that, a memory.

9. Ianthe

Drunk people do exactly what they want to in the moment, in an uninhibited way. Inhibitions are the the things that prevent us ("inhibit" us) from acting on our impulses and desires, because of what the ramifications or consequences would be. The reason people like to drink it is that, for example, it allows us to dance without worrying if we look silly.

(Unfortunately, it also impairs important inhibitions, such as "I should not have unprotected sex with this total stranger, because I could get an STD, and anyway, they might be a bad person and want to hurt me." Also, it is addictive.)

If a drunk friend is grinding on your leg, it means... right then, he wanted to grind on your leg. (Arguably, this moves him out of the perfect "0" position on the Kinsey scale, but you aren't going to get very far with a "1" anyway, most likely.)

It does not mean he wanted to anything more than grind on your leg. He was doing what he wanted right then, without worrying about whether anyone would think he might be gay, or whether you might think he wanted anything more than that, and without worrying about how it would make you feel. While he's drunk, he is much less likely to even think about how you might feel. While drunk, people are not even very good at thinking of how they, themselves, will feel about what they are doing later on.

But drinking doesn't make us want to do things we don't want to do already. It impairs our ability to see the (sometimes important) reasons that we shouldn't do some of the things that we want to do.

So, your friends were not expressing "fake emotions." Everything they did was an expression of real desire and affection. But it just wasn't pursuant to anything--it didn't mean anything more. They touched you because they wanted to touch you. But it doesn't mean they would be interested in dating you, or even in, you know, more extensive touching. Drunk people aren't thinking about what comes next.

10. maverick

^ Yeah, this. I've had a couple of drunk gay friends come on to me or try to make out with me before (and I was still presenting as a female). I never interpreted it to mean that they were any less gay, just that their lowered inhibitions had pushed them out of their sexual comfort zones and that they were simply in the mood to make kissy-face, regardless of who was in direct proximity.

Alcohol makes everyone a little crooked. :lol: