1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting mixed messages :/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

I'm extremely confused right now and I wanted to know what other people's take on the situation is. My gf broke up with me saturday night and completely broke my heart. We were together for almost a year. She has severe depression and it came back and when she gets that she isolates herself from everyone so that's the reason I was given for our break up. She then continued to tell me she still loves me and does wanna be with me but she needs to be single now and then tells me its only a possibility we'll get back together and not to get my hopes up. Now i dont know if its just me but to me that seems like shes contradicting herself. Today she decided to text me and have another conversation about why we broke up and then she posted some I love you and always will thing on my facebook and liked every status i posted today and then posts something on MY best friends facebook wall. I have no idea what to think of this. One of my friends thinks she's just doing this to get to me and make me feel bad and other ones think maybe she just cant let me go but i really dont know what to think at this point. Anyone have any ideas as an outsider?:bang:

2. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

If she didn't want to be with you, I don't understand why she would go through the trouble of liking all of your posts on facebook, maybe she really doesn't want you out of her life completley :/

3. Tiny Catastrophe

my friend thinks that shes just doing this to rub it in my face and make me suffer

4. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

And why would she want to make you suffer if the two of you were dating?, If it really bothers you because you think shes actually doing that, tell her(ur now ex) that if she wants to be alone why does she keep talking to you? :/

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

First of all (*hug*) I hate brake ups.

I would say that its time for you to make your own decision about the situation and go with it.

Right now, your ex is making the calls. She decides whether you are together or not. She is also deciding the when you are together. While that might work for your ex, it will cause you great anxiety, like right now. So, you need to decide. Do you want to be with a person that might leave you whenever she feels like it? If you do, then go for it and wait for her to take you back.

If not then you are going to have to talk to her. Set your boundaries and make her respect them. Keep your distance from her until you can get a grip on your own emotions. Keep in mind that when you start walking away from her I can almost guarantee you that she will try to put all of the blame on you. Stay strong and just tell her that YOU are the one that needs time alone now.

You deserve better than to wait around for someone else to make up their mind (*hug*)

6. Ianthe

I don't think your (ex)girlfriend is doing anything because she wants to rub it in your face. Depression is a mental illness--sometimes a serious one. She's acting crazy because she is kind of crazy right now.

She doesn't really want to break up with you, but she knows that she doesn't have anything to give in a relationship right now: it would be all you taking care of her. My mother had depression when I was growing up. It's no picnic.

She will mope around all the time, and she won't be the least bit interested in anything, even things that she used to get really excited about. She will cry for no reason. She will be miserable for no reason except her brain chemistry, but she will look for some reason to ascribe it to, and sometimes the reason she comes up with will be you; suddenly, all her unhappiness will be your fault, even though it makes no sense. She will want to be alone most of the time, and she will not want to get out of bed. She will not want you to touch her, at all. While she is depressed, she will feel unworthy of love, and also she will not be able to feel that you really love her, no matter how much you try to tell her and show her otherwise. She will rarely smile at you, and will not be able to really do anything for you, even the little things. Right now, she genuinely feels that you are better off without her. (As cruel as it is, she might be right about that.)

There is no way to know how long this will last. Even if she recovers, it is likely to happen again.

If you think you can handle it, if you love her enough to put up with all that, even though you get nothing out of it, even though it may be forever, you can go to her and explain that, in your opinion, in the midst of a major depression, she is in no fit state to be making big important decisions like breaking up with you, and you aren't going to let her do it. She can break up with you when she is well, if that's really what she wants.

If your relationship is strong enough to survive major depression, you should marry her. That is a big kind of love.

7. Tiny Catastrophe

ianthe i know about depression. i have it but certain things she does is just plain odd