1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online dating profiles

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by zeratul, Feb 15, 2011.

1. zeratul

zeratul Guest

So, some of my friends keep saying I should try that... lol. I don't really know how to make a good profile. Do I keep it long and accurate? Or to the point and short? Or mysterious and vague, or funny and light hearted?

Can anyone with good experience share their opinions? How do you attract people without scaring them away? I am not really good looking or anything.

2. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

My opinion is this, online dating sites are stupid. Its easyer(not sure that spelt right) to be flirty and say things you wouldnt in person. Confidence should (in my opinion) be gained through meeting new people, making friends, and physical social interaction. Its more rewarding that online dating sites, but i might be wrong, good luck!

3. Ridiculous

I think that, with whatever approach you choose, make sure you are honest with what you say. If you write things about you that are only partly true, or not true at all, then anyone you do make contact with will be expecting someone completely different from who you actually are. This will not only lead to anyone you do meet with being (most likely) imcompatible, the people you are compatible with won't target you because you're not advertising yourself as such.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use something similar to what I have as my biography here, a kind of silly text-adventure-themed profile. It wouldn't make sense to a lot of people, but the kind of person who gets it is the kind of person I already have something in common with. "Be yourself" is cliche but true.

5. Dave

Stay honest and don't exaggerate, that's a good standard to stick to, and make sure to keep your options open on there and try to avoid offending anyone, because you never know how deep their connections on the site or in the community go (speaking from personal experience)

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's often helpful to have a good friend's input, or even let them write bits of it.

7. EM68

The advice you have gotten from above is good. You want to make your profile as truthful as possible. Also use pictures that are current. Don't use pictures that are outdated. I have used dating sites a few times. I met my current bf through a dating website. I would suggest that if you meet someone through a website, you correspond with them first by email or phone before you meet and when you do meet them meet in a public place. Good Luck!

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A bit of both.

Be honest about who you are. I personally like to see things that could be classified as positives, and some things that could be classified as negatives, because it makes me think the person is being objective about themselves. If they're handled matter-of-factly, it makes me think the person is at peace with themselves, and it would make me more interested.

Be honest about what you're looking for. Yes, we'd all like the tall, muscular, well-hung, attractive, rich Mensa members, but they tend not to need to advertise. :slight_smile: What IS important to you, especially personality-wise? A good sense of humor, being outdoorsy, long talks about important issues, a sense of fun? These things are usually much better to ask for than hair color.

Lex