1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What To Do..?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tiredofsleep, Feb 16, 2011.

1. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I recently came out to a couple friends who were really cool about it. I was going to move forward and tell my mom today but got cold feet about the whole issue. I've started thinking about life after coming out, what it would be like, and I am just scared, like maybe I'm not as ok with it as I thought... or idk... the last friend I came out to was amazed and like denied it thinking I was trying to mess with them, it took a while to convince them lol... sometimes I think I'm too "straight" in every other sense to be gay, but then I remember that I've always liked guys and rarely girls.....but ya... sometimes I get worried I'm going to tell people I'm gay and find out I don't like it as much as I thought I did or something,, even though I have slept with one guy a couple times before and liked it lol... so I'm pretty sure about it really... I'm just on the brink between not wanting to hide and not wanting to rock the boat, I need to take action tho cuz it's driving me crazy... My mom actually asked me if I was gay about a year ago while I was still in denial. She knows something is going on with me right now but doesn't know what. She said whatever is going on she would try to help and that she just wanted me to be happy. My only worry with her is she is a hardcore bible thumper, but then she asked me straight up "are you gay?" so idk if that was a trap or a helping hand really... I just want to live a happy, open, peaceful life.. One where I can be myself. I'm not sure if it's possible with the situation I'm in though...

So should I tell her? What happened to you all when you came out... is it worth it really? I'm having a hard time picturing things after coming out to everyone, lots of people will probably quit talking to me, my dad would probably not talk to me for a while... not sure about my mom, friends, everyone really...

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I think I'm too "straight" in every other sense to be gay, but then I remember that I've always liked guys and rarely girls...

Then you need to get over that. Because being gay (if you're a guy) means you dig guys. Full stop. That's it. Everything else is optional.

A lot of people are scared of that last step. It gives it a sense of finality, going past the point of no return. But do know that although a few people aren't happy about some of the fallout they might get immediately afterwards, and some people may have wished the circumstances were different, I don't know anybody who, in the long run, wishes they had stayed in.

Lex

3. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I'm just going to tell her today, whatever, time to restart my life. I realize 'everything else is optional' but I feel like I'm going to have to sit down and convince everyone know that I'm seriously gay for the rest of my life because I'm just really "normal" in all other ways. But whatever, the time for talk is over, it's time for me to move on I've almost let this stupid issue kill me literally. I know there are plenty of people who are accepting, or like me, I just have to find them, because I just don't want to be lonely anymore...

4. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Well If you are scared shes going to freak out because she like religious then start off by saying that you are confused about your sexuality but if she freaks out as soon as you tell her that then don't tell her your certain your gay just yet 0_0

5. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

I say be free and out. If someone asks you answer yes, you dont have to tell people, if they're curious to know then they will ask. And you dont have to convince ANYONE! Seriously it is took exhausting.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Welcome to our society! Where women had to prove that they can have a career and a family, and where blacks had to prove they were also human. It sucks, but oh it is so worth it.

Once you can introduce your boyfriend to your family and they can be happy for you, then you'll be glad that you came out. Its tough, but its not as scary as we think its going to be.

Good luck :slight_smile:

7. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I just had a long conversation with my mom... most awkward conversation ever for sure... she says she's ok with it, something along the lines of "I hate the sin, not the sinner" and she's ok with not telling my dad... I can kind of tell she's dissapointed but whatever I guess I can kind of understand, I am her only child and I didn't turn out how she wanted I guess... my phone died while talking to her and I tried to call her back but it's busy now so I'm sure she's telling everyone but whatever fuck it it's too late to go back now I guess...

Still think I need to transfer out of here, I don't know if I'm ever going to be comfortable wearing this on my sleeve to people that I've known for a while now... I'm sure some would understand and some would get ugly faced, but I just don't want to deal with it right now... god I wish I were done with school and on my own, this would be a lot smaller issue if that were the case... well, betster go study then I guess huh... goodnight all and thanks...

8. Ianthe

Well, congratulations on coming out to your mom, first of all. I really doubt she's "telling everyone," although I wouldn't be surprised if she'd called a friend for support.

Keep in mind, many people, maybe most people, define their own identities in large part by the roles they play in relation to immediate family members. So, in order to accept this about you, she doesn't just have to say, "tiredofsleep is gay," or even "my son is gay." She has to say: "I am the mother of a gay man." A lot of the reason it can be so hard for immediate family members is that, in redefining us, they have to redefine themselves. It may be hard for her to accept, just as it was hard for you.

9. maverick

I second this. Unless your entire extended family and friends have known you are obviously gay for a long time (like, people have bets on your sexuality behind your back) I doubt she's calling everyone to tell them.

And since her reaction was a distressed one, she probably doesn't want everyone to know how upset she is. I think she's probably called one of her siblings (if she has any), or a friend, or a coworker, and if you're lucky, one of these people is a reasonable, rational human being, and when she vents to this person and is like, "OMG, I can't handle this! WTF?!" this reasonable person will talk her down. Even if an outsider disapproves of homosexuality, very few people will encourage a mother to reject her child.

Third parties tend to be able to hold a fair bit of impartiality/idealism about someone else's kid.

10. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yea I think she is kind of depressed... she didn't sound like she wanted to talk to me when I called her back later last night, she said she slept all day and missed her weekly bible study crap after I came out to her, I can tell she's really uncomfortable about "it" as she refers to my homosexuality. She def has a problem though, she suggested I "see someone" about it... So at least I don't think she's just going to abandon me, I think her plan is to try to "fix" me maybe idk yet for sure though... I tried telling her that I've tried changing from an early age and that it just can't be done, that I'm tired of fighting it and this is who I am. But she's a typical brainwashed catholic who can't think for herself, is void of any actual intellectual reasoning, and has the perception of an ant... so I'm sure she's already prepared bible verses for me to read and everything... Ughh I hate religions, but they are slowly dieing out these days (at least through my demographic) which is good I think because overall they are negative institutions, in my opinion. And it's because of this that I don't think I'll ever be able to say, bring a boyfriend home or anything like that, for sure not around my dad, and surprisingly, I guess, not my own mom either. I think I'll be ok as long as I can get the hell out of this general area, I just need to restart my life, say to hell with all the people here who are not ok with me being myself, and find new people who are because I know they're out there... the rest is cake... The hardest part is over, I'm going to be ok now it's about time I moved on from this unnecessary problem.

11. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

I truly wish you the best of luck! It will get better from here on out, your mom will understand in time.

12. maverick

Do it. Go to see a psychiatrist who supports the American Psychiatric Association. This is their position on homosexuality V

- American Psychiatric Association

- Sigmund Freud

- Berube, on gay soldiers in WWII

- American Psychological Association
    American Psychological Association - Sexual Orientation

13. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on coming out to your mom!

Maverick gave some good advice and it can be helpful if your mom keeps insisting that you go "get help." Just make sure that you go to someone who supports APA.

Now, give your mom some credit. Yes, her first reaction has been bad, but she hasn't abandoned you or kicked you out of your house, like many parents have in the past.

She will need support and time to come around, give it to her. How many years did it take you to accept it or even realize that you were gay?

And just because your parents are religious doesn't mean that they won't accept you. My mom is pretty religious and, even though it took her some time, she is now very supportive of me. Some of her comments and concerns are still a little bit loopy, but she still loves me and is there for me.

Its hard, but give your mom a chance :slight_smile:

Best of luck

14. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think she quickly realized there is no "cure". I don't care anymore, I told her if she doesn't want to talk to me she that there is no pressure and that I have a couple options of places to go and live away from everyone and she hasn't called since. I hung out with some "friends" and I"m so tired of the homophobic slurs I can't deal wiht it I think this may be the end..

15. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

What do you mean bythe end? I hope you dont mean what im thinking...

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure what that last bit means. Why friends in quotes? Were these friends who you came out to? And they kept up with the homophobia? If so, did you call them out on it? Tell them how their comments were injuring you? Because a lot of the time, people feel like "joking about it" - even in a cruel way - is their misguided way of trying to make everything seem "back to normal." When those comments start hurting, though, that's when you need to call them out.

Your mother (and friends, even) might simply need more time. You've had years to come to grips with your sexuality - your mother has had a couple days. You probably went through a phase of whatever length where you felt that if only you did this or tried that, that you'd suddenly be straight again and everything would be OK. But eventually, you came to the conclusion that this is just the way you are. I have a feeling your mother will get there eventually. Try not to obsess about her reaction too much.

Don't forget - you always have a place you can talk here. :slight_smile:

Lex

17. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope you're doing ok. Maybe your mom could benefit from watching the movie, "Prayers for Bobby" or "For the Bible Tells me So". Maybe she could go to a meeting with you or read some literature from PFLAG (http://www.pflag.org/map/index.php?state=MN)

Hopefully we can be a lot of help to you. We will always support you. Take care (*hug*)

18. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry, I almost ended my life last night, I need to quit drinking... I can't handle myself when I'm not sober anymore... I say "friends" because everyone I know almost was throwing out "fag" or similar all night it was making me angry, I know it's not directed at me personally or anything, but still... I can't just "call them out" on it, seriously, they'd think I was trying to prank them or something. I just need to get away from here and I can't I'm stuck. And no, the couple friends that know about me didn't say anything but idk, I wish I never said anything now kind of... coming out to my mom and just a couple of friends has made me feel really wierd, like I kind of wish it was still secret. idk what to do with myself anymore I feel like shit in every way possible, I'm seeing a councelor about these things and it's not helping...

19. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A bunch more to say.

>>>I say "friends" because everyone I know almost was throwing out "fag" or similar all night it was making me angry, I know it's not directed at me personally or anything, but still... I can't just "call them out" on it, seriously, they'd think I was trying to prank them or something.

Well, you may need to give this some more thought.

We're pretty quick to label homophobic people (or actions) "ignorant", but we rarely give much thought as to what that means. It means they don't know any better. But how are they GOING to know any better unless somebody takes it upon themselves to educate them? As your post indicates, you seem willing to accept that these friends (with or without quotes) are not actively trying to make you feel bad. But the fact is - they are. It's like if somebody were standing on your foot without realizing it. Since they don't realize it, they're not going to spontaneously stop stepping on your foot. They need to be made aware that they're causing you injury.

There are a couple ways to go about this. Coming out to them is definitely one of them. Or you can remove yourself one step, and call them out on it in defense of "fags" everywhere. "Look, I know a couple gay guys, and they're cool - why are you always putting them down?" (And yes, you do know a couple gay guys. You know us, and trust me - we're cool. :grin: ) My (straight) brother once confronted a homophobic friend of his by saying "You know, you're always acting all freaked out about gays. Why is that? What if I told you that I'M gay?" The friend said "But you're not", to which my brother pressed "Yeah, but what if I WAS? Would that be the end of our friendship? That's how big your issue is?"

It may be that these friends ARE unreachable. That their stances on sexuality are more important to them than their friendship with you. It's been known to happen. But if that's the case, why be friends with them? Why stick around people who cause you grief? I do know a couple closeted guys who can distance themselves - who can say "They're great guys, I have fun with them, and I won't let the fact that they're really homophobic alter our friendship." But it doesn't sound like you're one of those people.

>>>And no, the couple friends that know about me didn't say anything but idk, I wish I never said anything now kind of... coming out to my mom and just a couple of friends has made me feel really wierd, like I kind of wish it was still secret.

It sounds like you're in limbo. You've made a couple moves towards coming out, and are starting to run into some resistance. It happens. It's not always sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. But keep one thing in mind over all else. Any resistance you meet may be something you have to deal with, but it's not your problem - it's theirs. The problem isn't that you're gay. The problem is that they can't handle this simple and rather pedestrian fact. You're gay. BFD. It's really not that big of a deal.

>>>idk what to do with myself anymore I feel like shit in every way possible, I'm seeing a councelor about these things and it's not helping...

You're telling your counselor all these things? That you've come out to a couple friends, your mother is having issues with it, your other friends are being homophobic? If not, definitely do that. Your counselor will need to know these things in order to give good advice. If you have done all that, and still aren't getting any help? In that case, you might look into changing counselors. We don't always end up with somebody who works well with us right off.

>>>I'm sorry, I almost ended my life last night, I need to quit drinking... I can't handle myself when I'm not sober anymore...

This. Times a thousand. Stop drinking. Get rid of all the alcohol in your home. Get help if you need it. And know that we're open 24/7 for this sort of thing - don't ever think there's nowhere you can turn. :slight_smile:

Lex

20. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The alcohol is gone. And yes, my councelor knows everything except for the fact I've been planning and putting off killing myself repeatedly for a while, they want me to take meds but I don't really want to, I don't believe a pill is going to fix my situation. I just need a fresh start and I'm not going to get one for at least a year, I need to get away from here, I'm so bored of my life right now I want to just sleep all day everyday. I've really fucked up beyond repair I think... I don't want to have to "educate" people anymore, I've been fighting and challenging everyone since day 1 and I'm tired of it, and I don't deal well with disrespect, people get hurt when I get mad and then I get in trouble and nobody wins... I guess maybe I'm just not ready to come out completely, I used to be so confident in myself, never afraid to put myself out there but I've lost that somewhere along the way... Still haven't talked to my mom, I think she hates me now... So this is what rock bottom feels like...