1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homeless

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MyDecember, Feb 16, 2011.

1. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    One of my buds might be forced to live in his car and I fear if he does he is going to be caught in a horrible catch 22.

He is currently living with 3 roomates but due to life they all need to leave the house by the end of February. He doesn't want to move back in with his family because that is the reason he moved out (domestic violence) and he can't afford to pay $300 worth of rent on a minimum wage-part-time job and full-time student status. Anyone know any resources I can use to help him out. I don't think I can go to sleep knowing he's out in his car by himself in who knows where. He's at the point where he is giving everything he has away telling us "it doesn't fit in my car and I won't be needing it." Every time I think about it, I'm almost brought to tears. I just want to help him out but I don't know how. :icon_sad:

2. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

:/ maybe you could as ur parents if he could stay with you for a whille, until he finds somewhere, or maybe you and your friend could rent soemwhere together :/ I'm sorry I can't be of much help in this situation :/

3. maverick

Why doesn't he just stay in a homeless shelter?

4. Soharo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What about getting new roomates?

5. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The house is not in his name, Living with me is out of the question. I can offer him to stay over a couple nights but nothing permanent because I live with my family. The nearest homeless shelter is in downtown but our city isn't nice to the homeless. To give you an idea it is illegal to serve the homeless openly in the city unless its inside a building where no one can see them. I'm trying to talk to my mom to let him stay for a while at least. Other than that I got nothing.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would contact your local United Way and the social services department in whatever city or county you are in. There are often resources, sometimes funded by local churches, where people can get temporary housing and/or financial assistance to help them pay for housing.

He should also be eligible for Section 8 funding from the federal government, which helps low-income people pay for housing. It provides a stipend (usually 80% of rent or something). Only catch is, the housing eligible for Section 8 usually isn't the greatest, but it beats living on the streets.

7. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Had no idea about section 8. I'm looking into it now, he is eligible for it. Thank you for the directional point.

8. Ianthe

^^ In regards to this, I just wanted to mention, I know that in Portland, which is the biggest city near me, there are definitely more homeless people than the shelters can take, and young, single adult men are pretty much last priority. There are a lot of people that sleep in sleeping bags on the sidewalk, often in the little nook at the entrance to a business. :icon_sad:

9. Alex

He could sell his car to pay for rent until he can find a new place / roommates?

10. EM68

Since he is going to school have him check with the student center to see if there are any flyers or even check online to see if anyone is looking for roomates. Also he could talk to the housing office at his school tell them that he is about to get kicked out of his place and he needs a room to stay in. Maybe they can put him on a list for housing.