1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

told my sister... Now what?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dexter17, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Dexter17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Came out to my sister tonight. I have been wanting to tell someone for a while cause im tired of feeling i cant be honest. I've always know but didnt accept it till bout a year ago. Im really proud of myself and who i am so it feels like im missing out in life by not being honest. i told her cause were close enough for me to trust her. and she doesnt live with me so i'd be distant incase of rejection. i texted her, this is how it went....

me: if i tell you something will u promise not to tell anyone
    her: ya tell
    me: im pregnant
    her: ur dumb
    me: just kidding im gay
    her: i knew it
    me: how long?
    her: ur whole life hahahahahaha
    me: u know im serious right
    her: no ur not
    me: yes i am. U mad?
    her: i dont believe u

I asked her why i would try so hard to convince her if i denied it before. I think she believes me now and aint mad. I expected to feel relieved like im finally honest with someone. But i just fell wierd. I cant describe it, its like finally getting water after being lost in the desert but being to weak to open the bottle. Is this normal? And i know its a difficult process but i thought it would fell better.what happens now?

2. Aya McCabre

It might be a good idea to give her a couple of days to get used to the idea and then talk to her again. You'll get a better idea of how she feels when she's had some time to process it, and hopefully you'll start getting some support from her and start feeling better about it.

3. Bryan44

Well first off, congrats on telling your sister. That takes a lot of courage in itself. I think that just giving her some time to let it sink in would be a good idea. Coming out for some people can be a difficult thing to do, but I think it just depends on the situation that your in. If your surrounded by really supportive people it makes it a lot easier. Being honest with people definitely takes some weight off of you though. Once again, congrats! Keep us updated with how it goes with your sister.

4. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Congrats! At least it didn't go horribly wrong. It sounds like your sister just needs some time to adjust to it.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

Reactions to finally coming out can be mixed. Feelings of relief and excitement are the most common ones, but it's not uncommon to feel anything from nervous to spent afterwards. I know one person who felt utterly lost after coming out because (as he put it) "I spent years obsessing about that moment, but forgot to think about what came afterwards". Give it some time, let your relationship with your sister "renormalize", and you should start feeling better.

Lex

6. EM68

Congrats on coming out to your first person. The first is the hardest. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Just like you having a process of coming out to yourself, she has a 'coming out' process in regards to you. She might have 'known' for years but its a new reality for her. Give her some time to let her get used to it. She will come around. As far as feeling weird, its perfectly normal. Telling others that you are gay is a something that you held onto for a long time and at some point probably tried to hide. But now the bottle is open, sort of speak. You will get used to it. It sounds like you are fine with being gay and want to be honest now you can be. Just remember coming out is not a race. Come out at your own pace and you will be fine. :slight_smile:

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome! Good job on coming out to her. I'm not sure what to think about how you're feeling now. Given some time you'll get back to your regular self again.

What do you want to happen now? How do you want to move forward? Have you ever dated a guy or is that the next step? :slight_smile: