1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothing...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GreyGirl08, Feb 19, 2011.

1. GreyGirl08

I posted this before on my initial thread, but someone made a comment about my clothes today, so now I really want to know if I'm weird or not...

What's everyone's take on "lesbian" clothing? I realize that there's really no such thing, but I have found that since I realized I was attracted to women, I finally have the guts to play with gender roles, and wear what are usually thought of as masculine clothes. I am really into suspenders, ties, and now bow ties! (I'm super excited--I just ordered bow ties on Amazon!) I am pretty obviously a woman (I have feminine facial features), but I really enjoy making heads turn! It's confusing to a lot of people, and I kind of like it. It gets them out of their gender stereotype zone, and forces them to think differently about what defines us. I also like juxtaposing masculine and feminine things within the same outfit. I mean, I'm happy to be a woman, and like pink and all, but I never got so much attention as the night I wore a tie! Is this normal? Did other people experience a change in the way they dressed when they realized they weren't straight?

2. Zontar

If I could pull off being androgynous, I would. There's something oddly attractive about it, especially when guys do it.

3. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Omg that's so kool, It's great you want to express yourself, especially through fashion, and the "boyfriend look" is currently a popular style for girls which kinda likewearing mens clothing but it doesn't really fit, and there is alot of masculine clothing like suits and ties on girls on the runways these days, they even have their hair really short! I think itz so awesome :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Foxywolf

Haha I know it IS fun to confuse people! I personally dress pretty neutrally (a boy or a girl could pass in the clothes I wear). My wardrobe consists mainly of wolf shirts, tie dye shirts and shirts I won during cross country running. It is fun to dress as a complete boy during Halloween though (wig and all) that really does turn people's heads. One year I dressed as Ash Kechum (from Pokemon) and another year I dressed as Harry Potter!

5. Aya McCabre

Considering doing drag (though i'm not sure there's any outside interest in what I have in mind) and I just know I'd end up walking down the street all dragged up but still with me female walk and female gestures..... Just to see people's faces. Heheheh it'd be awesome.

6. Since I came out, I've noticed a distinct change in my clothes. It's so easy for me now to get dressed or shop because I'm not trying to hard to just be a stereotypical straight girl. I wear a lot of gender neutral clothing, but I love guy's button up shirts and my men's leather jacket. I finally feel like it's okay to wear what I like (and to actually identify what it is that I do like, as opposed to what I'm supposed to like).

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Did other people experience a change in the way they dressed when they realized they weren't straight?

I personally didn't. I dressed like a slob before, and I dress like a slob afterwards. :slight_smile: But it's not at all unusual for people to "hide" their sexually (either consciously or not) before they come out. I know one guy who said he hated disco music until he came out...then found out he loved it. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. Flyers2011

I used to wear ties and suspenders, but I realized that I looked stupid in them. They just didn't fit me, but that's me.

I've always worn looser clothing and shopped in the men's section because of my build. I'm short but I'm extremely thick, like, rip t-shirts when I flex rip. Women's clothing is much too constricting for me. I didn't really change when I came out.

But it's all up to you, dress how you like :slight_smile:

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems like it's more common for lesbians to feel comfortable in "guys" clothing, but I don't hear/read about gay guys wanting to wear "girls" clothing unless for drag. Maybe that's not true and it doesn't matter, but I just had that thought when reading the OP and some of the responses. Maybe the stuff guys generally wear is more comfortable? I'm not interested in getting a reaction from others for what I wear unless it's "hey, nice shirt" or other simple compliment.

I dunno, anyway, I think it's great you have the self-confidence to wear whatever you like and you know what looks good on you :thumbsup:

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A little bit, yeah. When I stopped worrying that people would know I was gay based on how I wanted to dress, I discovered a liking for button-down shirts and the like. I'm much more comfortable in a waistcoat and tie than a dress. It's not so much that what I like changed, it's more that I just became comfortable wearing what I like.

11. Ianthe

I am getting girlier since I started coming out to myself.

It's like all the things girls do to attract a partner suddenly have a point, while they had baffled me previously. As in, "Why would you wear shoes that hurt your feet?" and now, "Oh! That's why!"

12. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Well.. I do want to wear pink now :slight_smile:

I want to dress differently, but I feel I need to experience change, from when I come out.. Either that I'm quite self consious lol

13. flymetothemoon

I found this too! I hadn't heard of anyone else having a similar experience, but glad to know I'm not alone in getting girlier after coming out...lol

14. Markio

There were certain clothes that I would not wear before I came out. These clothes include:
    -the color pink
    -the color purple
    -black T-shirts
    -V-neck shirts
    -skinny jeans
    -rainbow things
    -jeans with sandals
    -jewelry
    -nail polish

The reason being that I did not want people to have any reason to suspect I was gay. Since coming out I've tried nail polish, purple T-shirts, black T-shirts, jeans with sandals, skinny jeans and rainbow things. I still don't wear V-necks because I'm embarrassed of my chest scarring from some allergy complications I had when I was a teenager. It was fun having the freedom to try all those things without caring about what people would think. The only things I've incorporated into my ensemble is wearing sandals with jeans, and I guess two purple shirts I wear sometimes. I'd still like to have pink shirt to wear.

15. Strawberry

Basically, this.

My story is... different, I suppose. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: When I was little, I was a total tomboy. As I started to approach puberty, I started to like girls, as you can see. But I also got way girlier, especially after age 13 or 14. Now, at 16, I am just as girly as (or possibly even more than) most of my main group of friends, who are a bunch of straight girls.

I would not wear a dress until I was 14, and now I have tons of them. I prefer tight-ish, bright clothing most of the time. I have a lot of purple, pink, and blue.

16. TheDarkerPoet

Hmm. I really dig androgyny and when I can get away with it I'll go out with a quite obvious dyke shirt and a leather jacket. My standard outfit is a plain man's undershirt and jeans. (Men's clothing is so comfy!)
    In the winter I tend to look more girlish, just because I don't want to freeze. I have a lot of sweaters and I don't mind wearing a cashmere scarf once in a while (although I usually just steal my crush's scarf, haha).
    But I think women who can get away with the whole collared shirt and tie look are faaaabulous :wink: It's a real head-turner for me.

17. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Well when you dress that way you should expect people to treat you differently. Its like a nun walking down the street in her full garb, people are going to notice and act differently around them. Its only natural for people to do the same for you. I dont feel like any tangible object has a gender (not may-cup, clothing, floor boards, coffee mugs) therefore i feel like you should feel free to express yourself, just understand the repercussions.

18. UnAmourFatal

If I could pull off androgyny, I would, totally. Like not 24/7, but sometimes:grin:
    So bad I'm 6'6", which MIGHT give me away if I tried...So much for androgyny.

As for being more free after accepting yourself/coming out, well I recently bought a women's Lady Gaga tee (hey, it was 70% off!:grin:) although after looking at myself properly in the mirror, I think I won't ever wear it. Ok, maybe as pyjamas.

19. TheJoker

Jesus! Since when black T-shirts and V-neck shirts are considered as gay?:eek:
    Purple and skinny jeans are okay to:confused:thers kinda considered as feminen.I hate V-neck though, especially if you have hair on your chest.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2011 at 01:09 PM ----------

[​IMG]

Just kidding.:icon_bigg

20. blankpaper

Well I've always dressed pretty gender neutral and I have been confused for a guy several times. I honestly think that androgyny is very very very very hot. I have kind of a boyish face so I can pass pretty easily If I try.