1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little sister's reaction

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zorn, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Zorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What I said:

Hey, what's going on? Is school going okay? Well, down to business I guess. Make sure mom isn't anywhere around. Ready? Guess what? I'm gay! Seriously. I've known forever, but have just recently been comfortable with the idea of telling people. Are you okay with it? It really doesn't make much difference, except now we can talk about hotties, which is fun, right? I've emailed Leisha and brother knows, too. I plan on emailing mom when I'm ready, so don't say anything to her. I'm out to a few friends at school, too. I love you so much! You're okay with it, right? I mean, you watched Will and Grace (though I'm not quite as flamboyant, as I hate super gay acting people) forever! I think it's a good thing, and I don't think I'm going to hell because of it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I will not consider anything as "going too far." I don't know when I'll tell dad or grandma, baby steps, you know.

Love you
    Love you
    Love you.

Love Jayden

What She said:

Um....... I've got to go 'cause I'm at leisha's with some of her friends but we'll talk about this later. Love you.

----------
    I don't know what to think of this. Any advice. I'm worried now.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Don't worry about it. She said she'd talk to you later and she loves you. It'll be fine.

3. SpikySpice

Hmmm, she sure is suprised, but J, how old is she?:slight_smile:

Well, I think she is suprised(of course), but she'll be ok, and dont worry, she said she'll talk bout this later, and thing's gonna be alright, now just relax, ok

4. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don' think you have anything to be concerned about. It sounds like she's done the right thing in respecting the delicate nature of the conversation and stopped you before it got too deep while she was in the company of someone else. She probably would have continued talking to you if her friend wasn't there.

I'm also wondering how old she is? Just to find out if she has an understanding of homosexuality & that you are able to discuss it with her in a mature manner. In some of the threads here I've seen that younger siblings don't quite grasp that this is a very personal issue that nees to be handled with care around others.

But from what I've interpreted just above, she definately understands the need for a correct time and place for this discussion.

Best of luck and congrats on telling her :thumbsup:

5. Zorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    She is 14 almost 15. Still no reply, but I'm hoping she's just busy.

6. SpikySpice

Well, that was really brave of you J, and yeah, like we said, dont worry, she maybe lazy and we know she love syou, so just relax, and yeah good luck with your senior papers, it's hard for you now with all those pressure but things'll be ok

7. Louise

If you still haven't heard from her why don't you give your brother a ring and ask him if she has talked to him. If not ask him if he could phone her and find out how she is doing. She might not have realised what a huge issue this is for you and how much you are waiting for her reaction.

Otherwise ring her again and just say that you would really like to talk. Waiting is a nerve wracking business so don't wait too long. She's going to be fine with it I am sure.(*hug*)

8. Zec24

She did say she loved you. I'm sure she has a good explanation why she hasn't called back yet.

My brother is 14 and I know he has views on homosexuality that are largely shaped by his friends (thus I havent told him yet). He lives in the deep south with my parents and so the attitude is quite bad towards gays. He made a comment this summer in my presence that was homophobic and offensive. Luckily my sister (19) who does know about me, jumped all over him about it. I even made comments to him about being more open minded.

It's great that you feel your sister is mature enough to handle this news. I on the other hand will be waiting to tell my brother when he is a little older. My parent's said he will take it hard as he has always looked up to me as a role model. I told them he still can, it doesn't make me a bad person to be gay, but I understand that he is not mature enough yet.

Good luck with your sister though and I'm sure, like everyone else has said, that she is fine with it. Since she is so young she may not have a good grasp on how important this is to you or how significant it is. So that may also be why she hasn't responded yet.