1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend seems incapable of changing for the better...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Feb 20, 2011.

1. MusicIsLife

Very, very long story short: I have this friend, let's call her S. Her and I have been friends since I was in elementary school, and all through high school and into college. She had a really rough childhood and had a lot of issues. When in high school she'd invent boyfriends and show us pictures cut from magazines and tell us that they were him. She pretended she was in a gang, and told me she was bisexual (though she really, really isnt.)

By college she began spending more time with me and less with her other friends, and began to imitate me. Listen to the bands I listen to (she listens to teen pop, and I listen to metal and punk.) --imo just to please me. In high school she was very girly and suddenly she was dressing more boyishly and watched horror movies with me, even if they terrified her. She also was dating men 7-10 years older than her, which wasnt only disturbing to me, but also to her family.

Finally last year I had enough, and I told her that I refused to hang out with her until she sorted herself out, and we didnt speak for 8 months.

We reconciled, and started to hang out again from time to time. She seemed like she was getting better...Until the day before yesterday.

I'd like to note that she was one of the first people I came out to as gender-confused/trans, and I am having a hard time figuring myself out right now and she knows that.

Friday my cat went to the vet. I was really worried about her, (but its nothing over the top serious so thats okay :slight_smile: and so by the time I got home I was exhausted. A couple hours later I got a call from S, asking if she could come over. I said okay, but it felt more like she invited herself over.

She came in and announced that she was staying for dinner, and detailed what she wanted to eat. Then we went to my room, and I tried to just have casual relaxed conversation with her, instead what I got was, "Why aren't we watchign Buffy?! I wanna watch Buffy!" She whined like a 2-year old and got annoyed with me when she found out that I had rearranged my CDs and DVDs, and now could not actually reach my buffy DVDs.

She was contented to watch the episodes on my computer, and though its one of my favourite shows, ive seen the episodes of the particular season she wanted to see a hundred times, so I was kinda bored.

When we went down for dinner, I made her spaghetti (it takes like 20 minutes to make but the fact that she all but demanded that I make it was not fun) and we ate, and then she whined until I made more pasta cause she wanted seconds -_-

After dinner we returned to my room cause she wanted to watch more Buffy, and ate her way through almost an entire bag of ringolos.

After we finished watching buffy, we were just casually talking about exercise, as in both of us want to do more of it, and she being a lifeguard started telling me that I should do to this indoor pool she works at. I told her that until I figure out the whole gender dysphoria thing i'd rather not swim, it's all too stressful and confusing for me. Then she said and I quote: "I don't understand why you need to change, you're fine the way you are!" This person used to be the most accepting person ive ever known, so I was totally flabbergasted, not to mention upset.

Then we went down to the main level to wait for her father who was supposed to pick her up soon, and she talked about how she wanted to get another dog, which is a terrifying though to me, as her family has had 3 dogs and none of them were properly taken care of. Their current dog only gets walked when they go away on vacation and I'm house sitting him.

Then she left. Thankfully.

I know I need to have a discussion with her, but I'm not sure how to get it through her head. I don't want to ditch her again without some kind of explanation. Today I'm going downtown to get some stuff from the pagan store, I was thinking of having her tag along and we could talk then. Does that sound like an okay idea?

PS thank you if you read all of this xD

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I know I need to have a discussion with her, but I'm not sure how to get it through her head. I don't want to ditch her again without some kind of explanation. Today I'm going downtown to get some stuff from the pagan store, I was thinking of having her tag along and we could talk then. Does that sound like an okay idea?

My main thought is "no".

The thing is - it sounds like you don't enjoy her. If your description of your day with her is anything like your average day with her, I can't see as how anybody enjoys her. And there's nothing wrong with telling her that, so long as you make it clear that it's not HER that you dislike - it's her ACTIONS. Demanding you cook dinner isn't cool. Asking is fine - "I really love that spaghetti dish you make. Any chance I could persuade you to do that?" Returning the favor is even better - "If you do, I'll gladly make cookies for dessert/do the dishes afterwards." Whining about what YOU want to do, when you're over at THEIR house, is downright rude. Again, you can ask, but you don't get to set the agenda.

I'd say doing this while having her tag along may send some mixed messages. It may be that it'll "soften the blow" of what you're saying, and maybe she needs that. But my thought is that she needs to be aware that you really didn't enjoy your time with her, and by inviting her out, I don't know if the point would be made as clear as it would had you simply contacted her about it cold.

>>>Then she said and I quote: "I don't understand why you need to change, you're fine the way you are!" This person used to be the most accepting person ive ever known, so I was totally flabbergasted, not to mention upset.

I can't speak for her, but my guess is she's simply talking from a place of ignorance. In fact, I'm betting she thought she was being helpful and supportive. People tend not to be very well-versed in gender issues, even if one of their friends is dealing with them. I'd go ahead and give her the benefit of the doubt on that, unless you have a bunch of other comments of the same ilk...

Lex

3. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

:/ I agree with Lexington, you should point out to her that you don't like the way she acted, so I guess the going to the store thing might be okay I guess :/