1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seriously wondering why people think I can change.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by collegeforfun, Feb 20, 2011.

1. collegeforfun

So the past few days things seem to be looking up on life, planning to move out soon, got a great friends, but the thing that keeps tearing me down more than anything is my parents. I know I have posted on here about them before but they seem to be my biggest problem... :confused: My parents seem to want to go from acting like they hate me to just wanting me to change and back to anger. There seems to be no middle ground. It is quite discerning for the fact that I am the one all this is directed at. When trying to just get out what I want to say though the only response I ever get from my parents is "Why cant you just be normal, and change and love girls?" This really ticks me off to no fathoming and I really have no clue how to respond... And the silent treatment doesn't work with my family.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's that easy, ask them to give it a go. Tell them to be gay for the next six months, and see how it goes. Not "pretend to be gay". Not "act gay when there's somebody else in the room". But actually be gay. Actually be turned on by the same sex, and not by the opposite sex. Because if changing is that easy, they can do it, too, right?

Lex

3. flymetothemoon

Lex, I was going to suggest the same thing!

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then it's unanimous. At least after two votes. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. maverick

That's fucking brilliant. Thirded.

6. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

Your parents seem too thickheaded for the above idea, it seems you just need to move out and let them come to terms with you. If they give you grief for being gay, guve them grief for being straight, tell them you don't like the fact there gay.

7. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Agree. :thumbsup:

8. collegeforfun

So I guess I should def pull both ideas!

9. Truth, that suggestion is genius.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. Absolutely genius. Of course, they probably won't be sharp enough to grasp what you're saying but it's worth a try.

It may be one of those things where they are just in the "anger" phase of the stages of loss, and nothing but time will solve it, but you can always try your best. Otherwise you may just have to give them some time and space. I'm confident they will eventually come around.

11. collegeforfun

... tried that approach and that got me slapped :frowning2: .... this just isn't right!

12. V128

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest you quit treating their opinions on this with importance. It's clear that they don't care what you say or do, they will not budge. Quit talking about it with them, avoid the conversations and live your life to the fullest until you can move out.

I assure you that they still love you and their treatment of you surrounding this whole thing is coming from fear, whether that be that you live an unhappy life as a target, or that you burn in Hell. Neither is valid, but very real for them. I suggest you move on and keep it positive with your parents until further notice. (*hug*)

13. maverick

Yeah, if they're at the point right now, it's sort of a lost cause for the moment. Just let them be and get on with your kickass life. You're eighteen, you can move out soon. If they haven't gotten over it by then, you can put a little distance between yourself and them that will give you the freedom to be yourself, but will also give them the space to deal with your homosexuality without having to be physically confronted with it all the time.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they slapped you for it, that tells you what you're dealing with. They're not to be reasoned with. Don't bother.

Lex