1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just stunned right now....need something, not sure what

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by secretstache09, Feb 21, 2011.

1. secretstache09

I just found out that my brother tried to kill himself. I don't really know how to handle this. I haven't talked to him yet, but when I do, I dont know what to tell him. I would have never thought he would try to do something like this. Although I don't know the reason, I have a good idea of why, he has been having a lot of problems, mostly at the root of drug problems.

The reason this is so hard for me because although I have never actually attempted suicide, I have thought about it when I was going through my coming out to myself. I am just kinda at a loss for words right now, so anybody has some support and or advice, let me have it please. Thank you.

2. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

I'm in no way an expert in this and I just wanted to point that out first because this is of course a delicate subject. I don't think this is something you should push though. Definitely let him know you're there if he wants to talk but don't force him to talk. If he does want to talk to you, listen. Try very hard to not to belittle his problems. Try not to sound condescending. Most importantly though, just make sure he knows you care, that you love him, and that he can share his problems with you.

3. TheJoker

I don't think there is anything you can do except telling no matter what you are on his side.Personally, im planning suicide too and i might give it a shot this summer.No hugs,no advice can be helpful if the one really think it is what he feels its right.

I'm sorry about this.All you can do is not leaving him alone (but be annoying) and make him feel you are at his side no matter what, i guess.:icon_sad:

4. secretstache09

I havent talked to him yet, but my mom and his dad (we have different dads) have tried to get him some help. I havent told him that I am gay yet either, which adds to the problem, ill just hold off till he gets better i guess. Sigh, this is very stressful.

5. Fishken

Fishken Guest

My brother shot himself a couple of years ago, but thankfully he survived after spending half a year at a hospital. He told me a couple of months ago that he would have tried again if it hadn't been for the family supporting him.

There really isn't any answers on how to handle these things correctly. Everyone is different and unique. But you know your own brother, so i would suggest giving yourself and your brother some time to think before trying to talk about the suicide attempt. I guess beeing supportive is the best thing you can do right now.

I also think there could be a lot of shame going through the head of your brother right now, so don't push him.

His problems is his own to deal with, so just love your brother and be there for him, and hopefully things will work out eventually