1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student council >:(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Witchcraft, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Ever since grade 8 I have always wanted to be in student council when I got to highschool, and now that I am, it really has been stressing me out! it's not that I can't take all the meetings and stuff, It's just that the president and the two vice-presidents are really snobby and fake :frowning2: and they treat like I'm some idiot and always ignore me. I get along with the rest of the members just fine but it's just the three of them -.- I can't even ask them a question without them making like an annoyed look on their face. I've tried being nice to them but they really still act the same so I just usually don't talk to them at all but today they really upset me ( well only the president and 1st vice-president) we were having like this woman coming over to talk about school spirit wear, well anyways I gave them my opinion and they completley ignored me 0_0( note it was only me, them and the lady) later on the rest of the members came and one of them suggested the same thing as me and they actually listened to her -.-. And then there is one kid that never goes to the meetings and they never say anything to him and they just laugh it off, but if I even do one thing wrong they just come after me and start like telling on me and stuff so it's like not fair. To make things worse one of the teacher moderators is always making jokes about me not paying attention or something ( I usually tend to go to cloud nine :/) which just makes me look really stupid :/. I hate being there, everyone is always treating me like an 8 year old or a pet -.-. While in other extra- curricular activities I'm actaully listened to. And it just seems to be them because alot of teachers compliment me on how polite I am and how they wish how there were more members on council like me :/ I really don't know what to do know because I can't just quit. I've been thinking of maybe trying to be alot more fake nice like them so maybe they'll change their minds about me but that hasn't worked so far so I might have to talk to them about how I don't appreaciate that they are treating me like some child.

Thank youu for reading my really long post.
    Any suggestions on what I could do? :/

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need to tell you that you're going to have to get use to this. A lot of councils I've witnessed are complete snobs. My school (College) hates the students council because they're always doing stuff NOT for the students, except for this year's. But yeah, if there is a teacher advisor, which I believe there has to be for councils in high school, I would suggest talking to them and explaining your feelings. And frankly if the TA is being an idiot like you explain, then go to the Principal (if he/she's a good principal) and report that the council is being run inappropriately or just that you feel you're not being valued.

The only other suggestion I can suggest is something I'm sure you wouldn't really like, but if nothing works, this is probably the limit. QUIT it. You should not be part of a council that doesn't value your opinion.

3. maverick

I'd quit if I were you, that sounds like it sucks. Life is too short to spend in soul-sucking activities. You're gonna die someday.

4. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

I'm going to try to talk to the nicest Teacher moderator( there are like 4 of them) but I'm going to have to stay in, if I want to be able to use this on my resume or anything :/
    thanx for the replies guys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. zeratul

zeratul Guest

What is your position on the student council? Every member has a position. If you cannot perform your job function, tell the principal that you are unable to perform your job due to obstruction.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm hun, generally jobs aren't going to look at students council for a resume until like after University/College.

7. Ianthe

Well, the first thing to do is always to talk to people directly. Sometimes this even works.

Talk to the president and vice presidents privately, either as a group or singly. Tell them, as you said, that you don't appreciate being treated like a child, and you want to feel like you are included in the student council. You feel like they pick on you particularly in comparison to other members, and you would like them to stop.

If this doesn't work, write it out in an email, and send it to the three of them, and courtesy copies (cc) to all four teacher moderators. If this has no effect, follow up with an email to the teacher moderators asking for their help. This way, if you don't get the help you need, you will have the grounds and the documentation that you need to make a real complaint to the principal. But you will get the help that you need, because the teacher moderators will know better than to ignore something in writing.

Meanwhile, also talk to the teacher moderator that's been teasing you. Most likely, she (he?) does not know it bothers you. Different students react to those kinds of things differently, and some would really be okay with it. So, she won't know that it hurts your feelings unless you tell her. Tell her that you don't mean to daydream, but sometimes you can't help it, and it's really embarrassing when she points it out in front of everyone. Mention that you feel like the other council members don't take you seriously, and you think that her teasing makes it worse. Ask her explicitly to stop: "Could you please not do that anymore?" If confronting a teacher in person is too difficult, do it via email.

Anything I've suggested that you do in email can also be done in hard copy (on paper) if email is not available.

I think I should mention that the tone you use for posts, while very charming, does not really convey the necessary seriousness for the kind of communications we're talking about. Unless you tell me otherwise, I'm going to assume you know how to write more formally when that is appropriate. This is definitely the kind of thing where you should use correctly punctuated, grammatical sentences, and paragraph breaks. (I'm not criticizing your style for posting though, honestly.)

College admissions may consider it. Also, I'm not entirely sure that's true--employers look at whatever you put on your resume, and while high school student council doesn't necessarily provide any real applicable experience, it does indicate motivation, initiative, and leadership ambitions. Any extra-curricular activity is good anyway, but if he can stick with the same one for multiple years, that would also show commitment. If he follows through with college student council, that would show a potential employer a long, consistent interest in assuming leadership roles. So, while high school activities aren't of much interest to employers in themselves, they can be of interest as part of a pattern--and they can also help you get into a better college, which will certainly help to get a better job.

8. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Especially if you stay in. If they have higher positions, they may be upperclassmen (And if you aren't, it may explain them disregarding you.
    Employers DO look at clubs and stuff, but don't you think it would look better if you stayed in for four years, working even with people you do not like?

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But I say don't work at a place with you're miserable. That might be the case for actual jobs, but an extracurricular? Nfw.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they are treating you badly and actting above you then chances are they are doing it to others too.
    Use this to your advantage. Just ask the other members if they feel the same, chances they are. Even better if they haven't noticed yet now it will be on their minds.
    They'll sabotage themselves, just watch

11. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Lol when I was in high school, the school council was nice, they wouldn't be snobby either, coz they'll get bullied.

You should turn the other members against them xD