1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STD testing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Austin, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I posted about this before I know, but I have some questions.... I think I'd feel way more comfortable going to the doctor's instead of clinic and getting this done. How can I tell my parents I want this done...?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In most of the US, and particularly in california, there's free testing that's anonymous that is pretty widely available. I know here in sacramento, they even do it in high schools, and I think the minimum age is 13 or 14.

The rapid test is usually a mouth swab and takes about 10 minutes so nothing to be scared about... but if you'd rather do it in your doctor's office, of course that makes sense as well.

It's a delicate thing to tell parents because, obviously, it tends to bring up questions about your sexual activity. If you're comfortable doing that with your parents then just tell them that, for peace of mind, you'd like to get tested. Other than that, I can't think of much else to say.

Hope that helps!

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could tell your parents you don't feel well, see the doctor, then tell him you want an STD test, i guess. They are bound to confidentiality, so long as nothing you tell him convinces him that you are liable to harm yourself or others.

4. ccooper0602

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For most STD testing, parent's are not a required factor as Chip says, for most US cities.

5. Dave

I can't help you with the US, but over here they have a free self testing kit they mail to you and you mail back, then call a number to get the results... maybe there's something similar run around your area?