1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend's Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by QuilsQ, Feb 23, 2011.

1. QuilsQ

This really isn't about me. It's about my best friend. He recently came out and told me that he was bi. I'm the only person he has told so far. He's really worried about telling his parents. I really haven't been around his parents but he tells me that they constantly make gay slurs. I'm really trying to help him but I don't know what to say. I just don't want to tell him the wrong thing.

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you know if they are very religious?
    They could just be the standard misinformed types that pop up frequently.
    I guess it all depends on what type of people they are and how he and his parents get along.

3. alpha

well for one, if he wants help with it, he most likely will probably be thinking about it on his own to, so dont feel like its all on you...if you do.
    also, if they dislike gays, i suggest either stay in the closet, or tell them when it wouldnt badly effect his life, when if he thinks they would, they couldnt kick him out of the house/refuse to pay for (etc). also i suggest you ask him about how they ask, if you ever disscuss it.

4. QuilsQ

He has a religious catholic family. It sounds like his parents don't like gays. Because of that he's afraid of them. He really doesn't know what to do.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Well the answer really depends on many factors like his age, how strongly his parents feel against gays, if they are capable of abandoning him, how comfortable he is with the gay thing etc.

Usually just because parents say things against gays doesn't mean that they are a lost cause. My parents were amazing at saying bad things about gay WHENEVER they could, but they eventually came around.

I think maybe all your friend needs is someone to listen to him and to have someone who shares that pain of having to come out.

Maybe talk to him about EC?

6. Ianthe

Sometimes it's nice to be able to give someone resources specific to their needs.
    Here is a website with resources for Catholic families of gay people:

http://www.fortunatefamilies.org/

(bold mine)

(&&&)