1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should it continue?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by collegeforfun, Feb 24, 2011.

1. collegeforfun

So I have been on here asking for a good bit of advice about my home situation so I thought I would try something a little different.

I have been in my relationship for a few months now and I really like the guy but the bad part of the situation is that he is leaving for another city about 4 hrs away. Idk what to do for the fact that Idk if I can have a distant relationship. My question (this will not decide what I do just seeing what others have to say) is how do you think it would work and would it be worth it trying to make it work when I really kind of don't like the idea of having someone so far away?

All advise is extremely appreciated.:help:

2. Crypt

My bf lives 9 hours away and in another state. We talk several times throughout the day. I would say if you do the distance keep constant communication between you guys whether its texting, calling, emailing. W/e works. Trust me I hate the distance, but the texting/calling makes it a lot easier for me.

3. TheJoker

I think it won't work so well because you are already questioning it.If you really had deep feelings for him you wouldn't even think it as option.But you don't need rush it, when you feel its not fun anymore, you can break up.
    Long distance relationship has more drama,less fun.

4. collegeforfun

I know but the difficult part is that I constantly love seeing him and it is hard because I would prob go insane from the fact that I would not be able to handle it or that even with the constant communication we will end of splitting up. :frowning2:

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2011 at 09:07 AM ----------

Well I do care for him I just don't think that the distance will not be good and I or him will just meet other people.

5. Idonteven

I was in a long term relationship, I still am in a way, but thats way too complicated to get into. I can honestly say I really doubt I would ever get into another. Ever.

When my boyfriend had to move away we said it didn't have to end. We were both madly in love and felt it unfair that circumstance was tearing us apart so we refused to let it. We discussed what we needed to do to be together again and promised to see each other whenever we could manage it until we could be together again full time. We IM'd, called each other, text each other almost every spare minute we had. He was the last person I spoke to before I slept and usually the first I did in one way or another when I woke up for a good few months after he'd moved.

We had ups and downs, good days and bad but I treasured the time we spent talking online or on the phone just as much as I did the time I spent when I was with him. Talking to him made me forget the distance and I'm one of those people who has so much love to give that they don't like being apart from those they love for hours or days let alone weeks or months.

I wont tell you why it ended because distance really wasn't the main issue although of course I suspect if there had been no distance we'd still be together. Or who knows, it might have ended months earlier for whatever reason.

What I would say to you is this, it will only work if both of you are committed and love the other. Another thing that helps is a feasible way of eventually being together because otherwise if its a permanent distance its really not going to work out. Not everyone can handle long distance. It has a lot of pressures that you just wouldn't think of. Not every couple make it. In fact from what I've seen and heard, most don't, sometimes even the most loving of couples.

As is the case with any relationship. Trust is key. Communication is key. Love helps too.

6. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

This should seem fairly simple in my opinion. Since its not however there lies a problem. You need to ask yourself questions such as if you love him, and what is love? Because if this person is good, and you two work then it would seem foolish to throw that away because of suspicions of it "not working out"

Long distance works, you just REALLY have to try

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is what I was going to say. If you're already questioning it working, it won't. I mean I know my bf is at some point going to possibly move to Vancouver while I'll be staying where I am in Ontario. But I know that we're going to keep it working because as we both say, if fate wants this to work, it'll work. We're big believers in fate, it's what brought us together. But it's up to you, if you have faith in the relationship, then it's up to you what to do, not us.