1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight guy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jonathan24, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Jonathan24

So I met this guy yesterday who I really liked but later I found out he had a girlfriend. :frowning2:
    I keep telling myself "Maybe he's bi" or "maybe he just hasn't accepted that he's gay yet". Obviously I realize the chances are slim. :icon_sad:
    How do you deal with it when this happens to you? (if it has).

2. sexyalex

Is he gay? IS HE STRAIGHT?
    I guess you may never know...

tum tum tummmm* dramatic background music*

Find out, on the next exciting post, when Jonathon tells his new acquaintance he likes him! On TOTAL, EMPTY, CLOSETS!

3. Jonathan24

That post was full of win.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You move on. He has a girlfriend, ie. off-limits.

5. Ianthe

Yeah, I don't think it matters if he likes guys or not. He's in a relationship, so... yeah.

6. Jonathan24

Alright, alright I'll try to forget about him :frowning2:

7. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

(*hug*)Yea try not think about him or you will probably develop a really big crush on him. I once had a four year crush on this straight guy and he had a gf but I was hoping maybe he was bi but he wasn't and I ended up really upset -.-

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't try to "forget him". Reassign him. He might be a good friend, but that's it. So treat him as a potential-friend-but-nothing-more, and go find yourself somebody you CAN date. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. RaRa

Been there, done that, got that t-shirt.

10. Jonathan24

But it's not easy just acting as a friend to him when I like him a lot... :/

11. simon94

Same thing happened to me. This may not be constructive advice, but the way i got over it was by picking faults in everything about him- alot of my admiration for him came from attributes I gave him in my mind, rather than ones he had in reality, so finding faults with him crumbled the image of flawless perfection I had of him.
    Although if you can find a way to remain friends with this guy, do that, not what I just said.

12. Vinny

UGH this happened to me 3 times in a row -.-
    What I did is I just started trying to convince myself that I could do better and they're not even interested in me, I know it's kinda heartbreaking to do but if the person is straight then there's not much you can do other than move on :frowning2:

13. TheDarkerPoet

Hey mate, we're all bound to fall for the straight guy/gal someday. I say move on, and if you can handle being friends without too much pain over his preferences, go for it. But don't interfere in his relationship, if he's got a girl then he's definitely hands-off for now.

14. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I think that a lot of us have been there at some point. Its really hard not to like someone sometimes, but he's not gay, or if he is he is not close to ready to admit he is.

15. Flyers2011

Yeah, just learn to look at him as a friend. Block out any romantic/sexual/etc. thoughts you have toward him. It's tough, I had a 2 year crush on a straight girl and it just ended badly. But I recovered and we're close friends now. It's always better to have friends :slight_smile:.

16. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's not a miracle cure, but time does heal all wounds. It just hurts a bit while the healing is progressing. When my first highschool crush started dating girls, it felt like a minor stab through my heart. But I kept talking to him as a friend, and I tried not to let my fantasies drift towards him too much (even though I failed plenty at that at first :wink:). and over time, it did die down.

What helped even more (for me) in dealing with straight crushes is to talk about them to other people. I only really got over one or two of them after mentioning them to a couple of friends (the ones of which I knew they could be discreet). When I pent up my feelings, they fed on themselves and became obsessions. By venting to friends, it became less of a big deal and felt more like it was something that would pass. Which inevitably, it did.