1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semi Formal Confusion

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dudethere, Feb 26, 2011.

1. dudethere

Last night was my school's Semi formal, and quiet a bit of oddities went down. OK so at my school we have a fair number of out and comfortable gay people. I was at the dance which started out normal with regular socializing and casual dancing. As the night went on I noticed a guy who is also openly gay eyeing me. We sort of had a thing for a short period but it was just a little fling.

Slowly this guy started to dance near me. As things went on he started to grind on me. This lasted for nearly 3 hours of the dance. No one carried and there was 0 homophobia which is so nice. But while we were grinding he kissed me. I was talking to one of his friends and she told me he was absaloutly drunk, so I decided I wouldn't let him do too much he would regret.

Now as we were dancing another guy came over and danced with us. We had all had a thing with each other so we were more than happy to be comfortable with each other. By the end of the night I had kissed both of them and they had kissed each other too.

However this is where things get odd. I have a huge crush on this guy, like an absolutely gigantic crush. We had been talking over facebook now and then but it never got much more than friendly. He came out to me a few weeks ago, just a "I have thought about it, and do have a crush on someone" so I just played supportive and kind.

Well my crush was dancing with us all too, not as physical as the other two but he was comfortable dancing with all of us gay guys. I am pretty sure he could tell I like him, and when I was dancing somewhere else we would constantly make eye contact with one another. After a while I went back to dance with that group again, and when I came over I kept catching him looking at me. All of a sudden his best friend comes over (who is a girl) and took him to sit down and talk. While they were talking they were hugging and being very reassuring.

To me it seemed like he was coming out to them, and he did this with a number of his close girl friends. Now I obviously could be reading this all wrong and thinking he simply need to talk to his friends.

Alright so now that it is morning and the two guys from the begining have soblered up, things have been made clear and we are all just friends. I really and truly have a crush on this one guy. I hope that he is gay, but if not I am totally comfortable moving on and being alone for awhile. So my question to you is what the heck do I do?

1. Should I talk to the crush just as friends?
    2. Ask him straight up if he is gay?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait, didn't you say he came out to you on Facebook? I'd say then yeah, he's gay. :slight_smile: So what do you do now? I'd send him a message. Something along the lines of "I had a really good time with you last night. Hope we can get together again soon."

Lex

3. dudethere

Ok first I would like to say I was absolutely ecstatic to see that you responded so thank you!!

Well he didn't so much come out to me as it was, "I have been questioning things." However I definitely want to send him that message and think that I will! :slight_smile:

4. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

I hope everything goes well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I wish you the best :slight_smile:

5. dudethere

Ok, so I sent the message and just got a reply saying : I did, it was so much fun! :slight_smile:

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See how that works? :slight_smile: Go ahead and keep the conversation going. If you want to invite him out to do something this weekend, go ahead. I'd keep it fairly low-key - go shopping, go see a movie, maybe a group activity. And don't freak out if he turns you down, since you're not giving him much lead time.

"You have any free time this weekend? I was thinking of doing some shopping/going to the exhibit at the museum/going to see (movie) this weekend. If you're already booked, that's cool - we can get together some other time."

Lex

7. Ianthe

I so agree with this. Ask him to do something. I actually think alone is good, because he came out to you, and if you're alone you can talk about his questioning.

You mentioned two other gay guys. Did he mention his questioning to them, as well? Or just you? It doesn't seem like the two of you are really close friends or anything. Why do you think he picked you to tell this to? Do you know if you were the first person he told?

8. dudethere

Ok well I heard some gossip today, seems that is the best things gays can do. Word is a few people have crushes on this guy, but I'm the only one who is pressing him exclusively. Secondly, one of the gay guys told me the crush's friend said he was gay. So this makes me think he is semi-comfortable but not out and about.

I went through this myself and with my last boyfriend, so I can relate to wanting to be with someone even though being gay seems like a terrifying thought.

9. Ianthe

So, are you going to invite him to do something?

10. dudethere

I invited him to do something at lunch, he said he could find time and on the day he was busy, I could still see him if I wanted. So I think he is interested but I'm still getting some mixed signals.

This is our conversation:
    I know I'm not free on Thursday because I have Chemistry Club, I think it's right before your class too in the same room, so If you get to class early, then maybe I'll see you there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but yea, i'll try to get back to you to let you know. I should have a lunch or two free to hangout :slight_smile:

11. Mr.Pushover

^In my opinion, he's totally into you

12. Ianthe

Well, if he ends up not pursuing anything with you, you shouldn't take it personally. It sounds like he might be feeling kind of conflicted about it--like, he both wants to and doesn't want to, you know? And the wanting to is about you, but the not wanting to isn't.

But I definitely don't think you should give up yet. And if other people are expressing interest in him, it's a good idea to be bold. You'd hate to miss out just because you were too hesitant in pursuing him, and somebody else got there first.

Remember, this is all new for him, so don't expect him to know what to do, or what you're thinking before you tell him. People can be a little stupid about other people liking them.

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2011 at 08:15 PM ----------

I think so too, I just think he might be wigging out a little.

13. dudethere

Well I sure hope he is too! I think we will be able to hangout and see where it goes! :slight_smile:

14. Mr.Pushover

^ Good for you, man. Best of luck with him! Keep us updated

15. dudethere

Wow, things just became so good!

Alright, so someone asked a hole bunch of people on formspring "Top 10 Favourite Gay Guys" Well my crush answered all famous people and than said but these aren't the ones I know personally :wink:

Well I took this as an opportunity to flirt a bit. I sent him a question without making it anonymous saying, "Im a little disappointed I didn't make your list however I do suppourt your choices thoroughly haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: "

His response: ":stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I know, but I didn't pick people I know because I didn't want to upset someone else by picking favourites :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but yes you would be in my top ten of course :wink:"

I'm feeling really happy with this combined with the fact that we plan to do lunch this week :slight_smile:

16. Mr.Pushover

I'm about to explode with the adorableness

17. zeratul

zeratul Guest

I see the glory of heavenly lights piercing through myriad clouds as joy and excitement imbues the globe tonight.

18. dudethere

Awe thanks you guys, so I guess you all think he is interested! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Well I hope so, because the thing that is most scary right now is that I have it all wrong and am getting worked up over nothing.

Well I will play things by ear and hope that it all turns out right, but however it turns out it will be what is best.

19. Mr.Pushover

From all we can hear it sounds like it should end well

Keep us posted

20. Ianthe

I do think he's interested. However, I usually recommend finding out if the other person is at all interested as quickly as possible, anyway, precisely because people have a tendency to do exactly what you're talking about. They let their own feelings get bigger and bigger without any real feedback from the other person. Then, it ends up hurting a lot more if it doesn't work out.

I know that your first instinct is to be cautious, and avoid rejection and embarrassment, but the risk is that, instead of just feeling mildly hurt, embarrassed, and disappointed, you will end up feeling really heartbroken.

For one thing, you could tell him that he's on your top ten list of people with frustratingly ambiguous sexual orientations. When flirting, it's a good idea to give compliments, as well as fishing for them.

This also might prompt him to clarify a little on the sexual orientation thing. If he says he's gay or bisexual, you can say, "Oh, good! In that case, you're up near the top of my list of favorite [gay guys/bisexuals]." (Since his friend thinks he's gay, he's likely to tell you he's gay at this point, I think.)

You can also demand to know who's beating you out on his list, and express your determination to attain the top spot. (If he asks who's above him on your list, you can either be coy and refuse to tell him, or say "Well, nobody, really, but I didn't want to be obvious.")

You kind of do want to be obvious, though. I mean, if one of you doesn't make a clear move, it isn't going to go anywhere--and it's not a good idea to wait for him to do it.

Good luck!