1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh the Awkwardness.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by No One, Feb 26, 2011.

1. No One

Ever since I tried to come out to my mom Freshman year (3 years ago) things have been awkward with her. I took it back, and being that my mom so wanted it to be true she believed me. Recently (as in the past few months) the awkwardness has been getting worse and worse. I cant even talk to her on chat without her making it awkward, and being alone in a silent car with her is absolutely horrible. I just dont know what to do... Advice?

2. Lotty

Just tell her again. That's my advice. I know it's hard, but it'll make her see the truth. Now she sometimes thinks about your half coming-out, and wonders if you were being serious. I think she's scared to ask you if you were, and then it's awkward.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given the past history, I think I'd still wait till you're 18 and at least have the option of moving out and being on your own. You never know if she might do something crazy like send you to ex-gay camp or something, and if you're under 18, she can basically send you somewhere and there's essentially nothing you can do about it. I'm sure it's excruciating right now but it's still probably a better alternative than taking the risk of more wrath.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the experience...except now I'm 22 and I told my Mom when I was 17...and I still haven't told her again.

5. No One

I just want things not to be awkward. I plan on coming out as soon as I move out, but thats a year away and I'm not sure what to do for this year. I'm not sure I can handle.

6. Flying Squirrel

My guess is that she wants to have a normal relationship with you again just like you want to have a normal relationship with her again. If this is the one thing keeping the two of you apart, then maybe having a good heart-to-heart conversation with her would be the best option.