1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay, Old & Happy?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TroubledRyan, Feb 28, 2011.

1. TroubledRyan

I never really saw other topics about this(though I haven't been on much), so I figured I would ask.
    Are there gay old couples? I really don't hear about to much of them. I love who I'am, but is there love in older gay couples, or does the spark go away as your body does? I don't beleive it goes away...I don't, but I never hear of older couples and its some what of a let-down.
    My mom's friends brother is gay, and he has been with the guy for 30 years...I would really love to talk to him about it, but besides him I have never heard of gay couples like that.
    So this question was more for the older members I guess.

2. s5m1

Yes. I know quite a few older gay couples who have been together for a long time.

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Yeah, my friend has two mothers, and another friend of mine has two fathers. It happens allot.

4. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

My dad is almost 50 and I'm actually not sure how old his partner is but I'm pretty sure he's younger then 40. They've been together now for at least 7 years, and probably more actually because I have a terrible memory :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. They still seem really happy. Although I guess they aren't really that old.

5. Aya McCabre

I usually use Elton John as an example of that. All those younger people who say we shouldn't get married because it will never last.... You get some epic facials when you can point out a couple who have been together longer than the complainer's been alive. ^_^

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My uncle and his "partner" have been together for probably 15 or close to it years and he is around 54 probably.

7. TriBi

I am sure there are a lot - but bear in mind that gay people who are 'old' now generally belong to a generation where, for the most part, it was not OK to be 'out and proud' - hence many who did form a long lasting partnership would have been used to 'flying under the radar', so to speak.

Just to give you one example of one of Australia's long standing gay relationships, check this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Kirby_(judge) and also this:
    http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/judging-michael-kirby-20100623-yypu.html
    I have mentioned Justice Michael Kirby here before. He is a universally admired and respected former High Court Judge in Australia - has been with his partner since 1969. I think the thing I like best about his story (as mentioned in the Wiki link) is the fact that he 'came out' (while still a High Court Judge) by listing his partner in "Who's Who", LOL. How many people could lay claim to that?!

Oh - and the TV bio highlighted in the 2nd link was excellent too BTW. He's a pretty amazing man - and clearly they have had a long and happy relationship.

8. Ianthe

Define "old," perhaps. You are 17, so your definition might be different from other people's, such as mine. How old does the couple have to be to qualify (how old does the younger partner have to be)?

9. Sanssouci

I know a gay couple who are in the late fifties, I think.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know several. The one I'm closest to may not be all that "happy" right now, but it has nothing to do with their orientation and relationship (they've been facing some major health and financial issues as of late).

Lex

11. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are two guys (they're about 60-70) who share the house across the street from me. They share a car, house (obviously) and have 2 poodles. This may be presumptuous, but I'm pretty sure they're Gay, and they seem pretty happy.

12. TroubledRyan

ahh thanks guys, thats really cool :grin:. I enjoyed reading all your coments.
    and when I think of old I generally think of 50+.

13. Possibly Maybe

Last friday i met a lesbian couple at a store. I was there to get informations on a domestic appliance and they were browsing through the store. They over heard my conversation with the salesperson and were super nice to me giving me tips about the best brand to get. The nicest thing was they were past they 50's for sure and were so tender to each other. My heart just melted :slight_smile:

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry, but that just sounded wrong....epic facials...just...yea...

15. British Lad

British Lad Guest

my great uncle has been with his parter for 30+ years and there in the 60's