1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Say the "G" Word..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sachmo, Mar 4, 2011.

1. sachmo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I have still only told one person that I'm gay, but when we talk about it, neither of us wants to say 'gay'. Even when I came out to him I said that I 'wasn't into girls'. I think we both feel awkward saying it and its driving me crazy. How can I get over this?

2. mike6557

practice and time, that's what i've found anyhow. It wasn't until i came out to my like 16th or something person that I actually used the word. After that, it feels like nothing. so just give it some time :slight_smile:

3. Ichi42go

Same thing happened to me. I actually still can't come out and say it (hahaha, as in come out of the closet to somebody and say it). But, I am finding it gets easier after that little pang in your stomach passes and you are just talking about it like it is just a thing, not a THING. The point is, just let it come up in discussion in a way it's not the topic of discussion. And after you say it once, they may actually feel more comfortable too. Sometimes people are so careful not to cross a line they don't realize that they are just putting tension on it.

4. Flare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was exactly the same. It's a word that took me ages to get into my everyday conversation without always being aware I was saying it and feeling uncomfortable. I think it just takes time really. Maybe try and say it to yourself when you're alone to get used to it more?

5. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Just say it out loud, over and over again when you're alone, when you're in the shower or something. Practice coming out to your refrigerator or your pillow before you go to bed. It sounds stupid but I know hard it can be to say "I'm gay," even when no one but yourself will hear it. It gets easier every time you say it though, I promise. I know what you're talking about. It's almost like you're afraid to say it because then it makes it real. It's real regardless, and you'll feel much better when you eventually move beyond this mental block you've created, trust me. Just give it some time and patience, as you get more comfortable with yourself it will come. As you begin to feel more comfortable and confident, the people around you will as well. Good luck. (*hug*)

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Psh, when I started coming out I could barely even type the word gay!

Like everyone else said, the fear is pretty much normal and the only way to beat it is by repetition and "practicing", as weird as that sounds.

The more you think it, say it or type it the less afraid of it you will get :slight_smile:

7. TheDarkerPoet

^ this.
    It was weird, the first time I really came out to one of my friends I was like "uhm... sooo... I don't really go for guys, ya know?" but by the time I was done with her, I found that I could joke about it and stuff and now I'm pretty much open to everyone about it.

Definitely practice typing it, teasing yourself about it "omg i'm so gay" or something. It's always good when you can tease yourself - makes you more used to feeling vulnerable and exposed when you come out and therefore less likely to feel scared of saying it.

8. EM68

When I started to accept myself as being gay, I would say to myself in a whisper "I am gay" I was so terrified. Eventually I said it louder and louder to myself. Once I got comfortable with it I was able to verbalize it to others. Remember coming out is not a race. Come out at your own pace.

9. Zontar

I couldn't come out to my parents or my therapist without writing it. At least you were able to take the plunge verbally. Don't sweat it.

10. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

Well you most deffinately dont not have to say it, i still don't like to say it. I only say it with my closest friends, but i like to replace gay with other words like "I'm a real fruit!" Something creative.

11. dudethere

A friend of mine, the first person I ever came out to actually, we were awkward about it so we said I was "bunny" it made it easier and in time funny to talk about :slight_smile:

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try 'queer', maybe? I think it's a very pretty word. I love Q words.

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's easy - "gar-goy-uhl"...

Oh, not that G-word.

No, second all the advice above. Say it in the mirror every morning, and soon it'll seem less like you're admitting a horrible secret, and more like you're stating a simple fact. Which is actually what it is. :slight_smile:

Lex

14. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

As you become more comfortable saying the "G word" out loud I would strongly recommend telling more then one person. It becomes easier each time you tell someone else. Its like cleansing almost.

15. Rikudo

I'm pretty sure like al ot of the people before me have said it's an issue of getting comfortable with it through time. When I came out to my best friend I could only whisper it and it's still pretty difficult for me to say. I wouldn't over think it and I'd assume as you become more "out" that you'll get more comfortable with it.

16. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

Hello, and welcome to EC.=)
    And do you feel like it is necessary for you to be able to say the word? Do you think you wont accept yourself as gay; until, you can say such word?
    Labels... Gay is just a word, just like millions of them out there. Maybe, you are not able to say the word...cuz, of all the bad stuff that society and us attach to it?
    Make up a word, like what Lex said.
    btw, "I wasn't into girls" = Iwig

17. Ianthe

Maybe you could work up to saying "I am gay" by using the term to talk about other gay-related things first. Like, talk about the gay community where you live, gay pride, gay clubs, and so on. Maybe start by having a goal to use it at least once a day, and increase that to more often until you are comfortable.

18. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Ha, I remember making my e.c. account and having a tough time clicking on "gay".

My meathod was the bandaid meathod. All at once and minimal pain. Just start using it. Although I like the previous ideas a lot if you don't want to do it that way.

19. TheJoker

i don't see many people saying "Hi,i'm Mike the straight and i love boobies" so you don't have to say "Hi,i'm Mike and i'm gayer than a unicorn.Let's sing Gaga songs under the rainbow."

If somebody asks are you gay,say yes.

20. Adam

Took me forever to get myself to say the words I'm gay! I even practiced saying it over and over out loud and in the mirror I felt so weird saying it, and it always took me so long to get the words out to my friends when I first told them. Or saying anything with gay in it was hard.

But now its so easy, I don't even think twice about it anymore, I enjoy saying it actually.

Yup, most of us went through that phase don't worry.