1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To come out or not to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mk139, Mar 5, 2011.

1. mk139

I am out to all my friends, and I am trying to decide if I should come completely out (-family ofc). All of my girl friends know, and I told the only guy I would class as a friend the other day. They've all been really good about it, and the guy reacted well too.

All but one of them (the first one I told) say I shouldn't come out, but I sort of want to. They don't understand why I want to, even though I've explained to them many times.

Also, the only one who thinks I should tell people I'm not really friends with anymore, and that's mainly because she's friends with the only openly homophobic girl in our year (who incidently is one of the 'popular' ones). My best friend has suggested that she only wants me to come out because she thinks it will be entertaining, or for some other agenda, and although I don't think that's the reason it did make me doubt her advice a little.

I think I still want to come out, and that's mainly why I told my guy friend because I wanted him to spread it, but (typically of him) he promised he wouldn't tell anyone!

There are two other girls that are openly sort of bi in my year, but it's more just because they'll sleep with anyone... They don't really get much stick for it, but there were only rumours about them a few years ago and they were never friends with the homophobic girl. I was in her tutor group so we were sort of in the same group of friends for the first years of secondary school, so I'm worried that she might be worse on me.

Also, the girl I told who is her friend promised to tell me how she reacts and if she's really bitchy about me behind my back (she does have a reputation for being a bitch) but I think I can handle it.

Another thing, the main thing, that I'm worried about is that it will get back to my parents somehow (through teachers, friends' parents etc.). I know that they'd be ok with it, although my dad would be a little awkward (he's an awkward sort of person, and can be old fashioned) and my mum might say "it's only a phase" or something, it's just that then my siblings would find out and I know they would take the piss - they already do enough and if they knew they were right they would be all "I told you so".

This may make it sound like they're horrible to me but they're really not, I don't mind and I know it's just a laugh, only I don't want them to be right. And I just don't want my family to know right now. It would be weird.

So, basically I need advice on whether I should, or shouldn't. I guess people on here will know more than my all-straight friends...

(God - this was a long post, but it is my first :icon_bigg)

2. roborama

well being a newbie just a heads up this should probably be in the thread below about coming out
    but anyways asking other people if you should come out is kind of counter productive. you need to come out when YOURE ready and asking so many people is probably going to make knowing when even harder. either way you decided right now has to be whats best for you
    but coming out can be very all or nothing, once you start telling people news spreads like wildfire especially being in high school so your parents could potentially find out
    just know whenever youre having a hard time you can come on here, we're pretty understanding people :slight_smile:
    best of luck!

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How old are your siblings?

[edit] the point being, you COULD consider telling your parents, but asking them to keep it from your siblings for now, if you think that would help you.

#3 Pseudojim, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. mk139

Yeah I guess that's partly the problem, I can't tell if I feel ready or not because when I start feeling ready my friends will say something that makes me doubt that I'm ready. And I'm not sure I'll ever feel completely ready because there will always be cons to coming out (I have made numerous lists of pros and cons!)

My siblings are all in their twenties and I don't think I could trust my parents not to tell them, news spreads quite quickly in our family too

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: