1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which parent had the most problems accepting?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Paul_UK, Oct 22, 2007.

?

Which parent had the most trouble accepting?

1. I'm a guy and both parents are fine

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. I'm a guy and both parents are having equal problems

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. I'm a guy and my mother is having more problems

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I'm a guy and my father is having more problems

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. I'm a girl and both parents are fine

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. I'm a girl and both parents are having equal problems

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I'm a girl and my mother is having more problems

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. I'm a girl and my father is having more problems

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I am just curious really. For those of you who have come out to your parents, which had the most problems accepting (or hasn't accepted at all). I am wondering whether it is normally the dad or whether it is normally the same-sex parent (dad for guys, mum for girls).

I have added a poll here to help display the answers more clearly. You can obviously post comments here too.

2. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I came out to my mom...she says she doesnt love me as she used to she mentioned once i gotta get out the house she said shes not buying me nothing and that one day shes guna leave and ill never know what ever happened to her. I ruined her life and shes ashamed....hopefully she does leave and mayb ill get adopted by some loving parents inlike the bitch of a mother i have

3. Zec24

My dad actually made a joke about it at first. My mom cried and blamed herself. Then my dad started to have issues with it when he realized I was still a little unsure. Now they both seem to be in some sort of denial. We haven't talked about it in a year so I don't really know how they are doing.

4. Steam Giant

How do we vote if we only have one active parent in our life?

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    To me that is child abuse! I'm so sorry your mother is acting this way. (*hug*)

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The question is really a comparison of which parent had the most problems, so with one active parent you can't really make a comparison. If you have any contact with your other parent, and have told them, then you can still do a comparison. Also if your one parent has a partner who you have told then that will do. Or other people who have been actively involved in your care in place of your parents.

I did not intentionally want to exclude anyone but the nature of the question does somewhat. Sorry. :frowning2:

I'll do a similar thread/poll for friends, as that will make for interesting comparison (and everyone can take part). :slight_smile:

7. Steam Giant

It's okay, Paul ^^ and I look forward to that other poll!

8. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Lol, definately my mother. It's not really funny, but at this point I'm numb to it.

9. SpikySpice

I can see taht moer [peopel have problem withg mothers, they will probably have a harder time accepting us

10. Sam

Sam

when I told my mom she had a lot of questions but said she loved me no matter what but she seemed to have a lot of problems getting used to it but she has gotten a lot better and with my dad he was fine with it so at this point they are both fine with it and thats what I put on the poll

11. simon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my mother and father were really good about it. my mother is a lesbian and my father lived with her for years before he knew.
    i think that father has had a bit of a hard time getting used to the fact that i'm gay though. i haven't heard from him in almost a year.

12. xxAngelOnFirexx

dad was in denial not cause he wasn't accepting but he just thought i was confused and not sure. but he's cool now and tries to be cute and point out hot girls.

13. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I think that my father doesn't know but he's really homophobic... My mother still has trouble accepting it - in fact, she never will. With my father it's pretty much the same, but worse.

14. TeeBe

My mom still refuses to accept it. I haven't told my father- WAY to homophobic.

15. pirateninja

Luckily my mom is mostly ok with it. She even says that when I get a girlfriend that she'd like to meet her. But she still seems a bit reluctant to actually tell people who in my opinion deserve to know, which may indicate that part of her is a bit ashamed. But she doesn't give me any greif over it, which is great.

My dad however seems to be ignoring it completely and doesn't talk about it at all. I guess thats his way of coping with it. But we get along well, and I since I told him he doesn't make gay jokes anymore, so I think he may be uncomfortable with it but tolerates it.

16. InaRut

I have a mom that worrys alot :-/
    Dad is laid back...
    :confused:

17. step49x

My dad took a little while longer to accept it than my mom. They both seem to be over it, though. Although, I'm still half in the closet, and haven't started telling family members, yet. I'll be curious to see how they react if/when I get a bf. I don't think they'd have a problem with it, I'd just be curious to see initial reactions.