1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That's so gay!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by konfused612, Mar 6, 2011.

1. konfused612

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of the guys I do homework with uses the phrase "that's so gay" like it's punctuation. I'm not quite sure how to respond. On one level it doesn't bother me (it's just nonsense to refer to all of these things as gay) and I don't feel he's using it with malice. It's probably just become a habit (I used to say "that's retarded" in the same way) so I don't take it personally.

On another level it does bother me. They're are so many negative messages in society today which can make coming out to one's self hard that we don't need any more with "that's so gay." If someone who is struggling with their sexual identity over hears this is could make things worse. In addition I also do feel it bothers me personally (since I'm gay), but I can't put my finger one why (as I said above it's a nonsensical phrase).

When I say something I don't want it to come off as being politically correct (I feel society today is way too concerned about being PC). Ideally I'd like him to understand why he shouldn't say "that's gay", but I'm not exactly sure what to say.

Thinking back to when I used to say "that's retarded", I did it until someone called me out on it. She didn't say much, just something like "it might be stupid, but it's not retarded." I got the message, and put some conscious effort into breaking that habit of saying it, and it's now been out of my vocabulary for quite awhile. So perhaps I don't need to explain anything. Perhaps just saying something like that will be sufficient.

Anyway, if anyone has thought's or would care to share how they've handeld similar situations I'd appreciate hearing them.

It should note that I'm a first year grad and he's a senior undergrad, in terms of the age ...

2. RedState

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0[/YOUTUBE]

3. Foxywolf

You should say "That's so straight," about something that's stupid. Haha just kidding. Although it might work.
    You could just ask him questioningly why he uses gay as a synonym for stupid and then say that he shouldn't say that because it could hurt some people.
    Does he know you're gay? If he doesn't then he might become suspicious when you say this to him, but then you could just say, 'I know some people who are gay, and they are not stupid.'
    Or you could say something along the lines of, "Really? I don't see any rainbows..." when he says that's so gay.
    I don't know I am just throwing ideas out there.
    I only know one guy who uses that and luckily I don't know him that well.

4. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Does he know you are gay?
    If not, that might explain why he uses it in front of you.
    Regardless though, perhaps just say something similar to what that person told you about using "retarded". It worked, and it shouldn't make you sound like you are trying to be totally PC, especially if your hw friend knows about you.

5. TheJoker

Saying thats gay as retarded is insult.saying gay as lame,weak is still insult.sometimes tolerating means being too chicken to stand up for yourself.he may not homophobic but if he knows you are gay,he is basicly insulting you.

6. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Him: "X is so gay."
    You: "Yeah, I can see how X would remind you of two guys having sex."

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Considerate people will get the message, as you did, and your assiciate might as well. Most people who I've tried to educate on this topic just don't or won't get it. Gay = stupid and worthless to a lot of people so it's a logical synonym for them. Maybe this guy is one of the considerate ones.

8. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I like that you are considering explaining things to him. I feel like he would benefit from that. However depending on how close this friend is to you then the might react differently. If you are openly gay with this person and they are saying "thats so gay around you" then they should be reminded that you are gay, and you are slightly offended.

Alternative scenario:
    You are not out to this person and lack the confidence to tell them at this time...
    Explain how inconsiderate it is to insult a group of specific people. Saying thats so gay is like any other derogatory term or racial slur. You wouldn't say thats so black, would you?

9. No One

When people say that or things like that (IE: Fagot, homo, etc.) I just always say "That's not a good term. You shouldnt use it" and move on. People generally react better when you just say it nonchalantly.

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    one of my favourite ever song titles

"the word 'homophobia' is gay"

i piss myself every time

11. Haberdasher

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSD7jb-7x4[/YOUTUBE]

12. GreyGirl08

If I were you I would approach the situation as an opportunity to educate a younger student. I realize that you're close in age, but you could put your correction forth as a matter of what's professional and appropriate (this is mostly if you don't necessarily want to come out to him. If you're out, than I see no reason why you can't say "that's offensive. I know you don't mean anything by it, but many people do, and when you say it, it gives those other people a license to use the term.") I'm a graduate student in psychology, so it isn't really a stretch to to talk about the inappropriate nature of using "gay" in such a pejorative way. If you're in a non-humanities field, it could feel different. In any case, it's not cool, and I think you should let him know, one way or the other.

Good luck!

13. I agree with the above posters. Even if he doesn't hate gay people, "that's so gay" started as hate speech and is used that way by many people. I don't understand why people don't get that that's where this is coming from. I've had people who I've said "hey, don't say that" to them call ME out on correcting them. They said "it's not like I'm calling someone a fag" and I was like...yeah, yeah it is. hate speech, all of it.

14. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Some of my teachers say "that's so gay"...if I don't hear it all the time, I don't really give a shit. I can understand how hearing too much could be aggravating, though.

15. GreyGirl08

Are you kidding? Your teachers?! That's infuriating! They should know better. What class A morons they must be. That makes me so mad! You should call them out on it, and tell them they're language is ignorant and inappropriate. Better yet, take it to the principal!

16. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I strongly agree with GreyGirl!

That is unacceptable.
    Something similar happened at my old high school where one of the teacher was calling me out inappropriately for being gay in a public setting, and I almost had her fired. She was on suspension for a long time, and I bet you she thinks twice now before she speaks.

Bring things to their perspective, let them know how "not ok" that is.

17. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats like the teacher that dropped the N bomb then wondered why people freaked out.
    UGH

---------- Post added 8th Mar 2011 at 01:10 PM ----------

I like this and i love Wanda she cracks me up

18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Record it on video, anonymously submit it to whatever governing body is appropriate, and get them fired.

19. TyPod

To be honest I say stuff like 'Argh, my phones being gay' quite a lot.

20. Rikudo

I could see it being uncomfortable being said by a teacher.

However what if something is indeed being gay. Like some man on man action. <.<
    I'm totally gonna call that out "YOU FAGS NEED TO GET A ROOM". XD