1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lent is almost here

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BasketCase, Mar 6, 2011.

1. BasketCase

Well, as the title states, lent is almost here.

This year I have decided to try and kick the drink for the lent period (One exception being a night out to a couple of gay bars with a couple of friends). This will be a challenge but I am really hopeful I can achieve it.

Unlike some of my previous threads this isnt really asking for advice. I just want to put it out to as many people as possible so that I feel morally obligated not to go against my pledge.

Thanks.

2. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

You can do it! :slight_smile:

3. Fintan

Cool & Good luck!

I too am trying to decide what to give up for Lent this year, which begins this Ash Wednesday (March 9th). I want to give up something which is worthy of the reason which is the spirit of Lent... so it must be a challenge...

I do the no meat on Fridays because it helps me to remember the whole purpose of Lent, but I need something else... I am not a big drinker so I don't think that is too worthy... and there is no way I can avoid coffee for the 40 days... I did that one year in college and almost killed me!

Not sure... thanks for reminding me though!

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

5. Fintan

Lent in the Christian tradition, is the Christian Season which leads up to Easter. The traditional purpose of Lent is to prepare for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Ressurection of Jesus. This is done through prayer, penitence, giving to charities and self-denial (hence, giving something up for Lent).

During the season, Christian Churches recall the events leading up to the Passion of Christ and then culminating in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Conventionally, the season of Lent is forty days long, representing the time that, according to the Bible, Jesus spent in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, where he endured temptation by Satan, prior to his execution by crucifiction.

Perhaps more famous than "Ash Wednesday" (first day of Lent) is Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday/ Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Tuesday which is the last day before Lent where Christians are encouraged to eat richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting or self-denial which takes place during the the Lenten season.

Generally, in Western Christianity, there are 6 'Seasons' in the Christian Calendar; Advent (Late Nov-Dec 24th), Christmas (Dec 25-Jan 6), Epiphany (Jan 6-Lent), Lent (40 Days prior to Easter), Easter (40 Days), Ordinary Time/Pentecost (June-November).

Probably the most famous season in the Christian Calendar is "Christmas" as the season lasts 12 days, hence, the song "The 12 Days of Christmas".

#5 Fintan, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  6. BasketCase

I should point out that I'm not all that religious.

It just seems like a good time to do it given that others will be doing something similar. I'll also save 6-700 quid.

7. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Omg I usually don't really give up for lent but I think I know what to do for this year :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Beertruck

I'm not really Catholic anymore, but I think I'm gonna give up soda for Lent. Just to get healthier.

It's a really good time of year to force yourself to do something you've been meaning to do for a while.

9. RaRa

Ill be eating like I usually do. I always fail lent on like...the 3rd day. Max. I realized theres no point anymore. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. cardenio

Hope everybody had a lovely Ash Wednesday yesterday!

Growing up semi-Catholic (I was born in Mexico), Lent is one of those things that I really looked forward to, especially because of the food that is pretty much only made and consumed during this celebration. I absolutely love, for example, this traditional bread pudding called capirotada (makes my mouth water just thinking about it). Are there any traditional Irish foods that are only consumed during Lent?

11. Ridiculous

I'm giving up girls for lent :wink:.

12. nate16

You can do it!

13. Mr.Pushover

I gave up fast food

14. Markio

I went to my first church service in two years yesterday for Lent. It was actually really nice and the people were really friendly.
    I'm not really giving things up so much as incorporating new habits into my life. For example, I am challenging myself to initiate hanging out with people rather than waiting for people to ask me to do things with them. I also plan on telling myself that I am great, every day. It's more like a mini New Years Resolution for me. :grin:

15. BasketCase

Thanks to everyone who has posted and good luck to those giving something up.

Just a status report - first weekend has been a breeze - I didnt venture near the bar never mind have a drink. With what I didnt spend and what I earned through going into work an extra day I saved/earned approximately £150.

I did however get a nasty gash on my head when I forgot to close a cupboard door and then went to stand up (After loading the washing machine) and caught the top of my head on it. A little blood and multiple swearwords later and I am not feeling too bad. Typical of me to injure myself on first drink free weekend in ages.

16. BasketCase

Just wanted to update this thread again.

Two weeks on from my last post about abstaining from alcohol and I am still going strong. The bank balance is well up on what it is usally at coming towards the end of the month.

Going to make a donation to charity of some sort from the money I have saved.

17. MercuryLampe

Sounds awesome, and good luck!

I gave up soda (didn't work out xD), and gossiping =W= I am soo terrible when it comes to gossip that I figured it would be best to give it up, at least for 40 days~

18. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like it when people say, regarding lent, "Oh, I'm not religious," yet they're completely willing to celebrate Christmas. I've convinced some of my friends who have this attitude to see it as a "40 day challenge."

I gave up eating out/spending money on stuff besides necessities, biting my nails(This is the hardest for me), and being apathetic towards things.

19. BasketCase

Well, I can't say I celebrate Christmas. I feel obligated to buy a couple of presents though.

I'm 22 days without a drink now. I'd happily never touch it again.