1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Group Addiction Recovery

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xxAngelOnFirexx, Oct 22, 2007.

1. xxAngelOnFirexx

Okay I know its a little late notice but i gave the notice in another thread and i've been really busy.

So here it is. The Group Addiction Recovery Thread (lets call it GAR for short). This thread will be used for all who post a little form of participation. Ok what this is about is that on October 23rd 2007 your time, the addicts will take a journey with the other addicts in this thread to make themself a better person and have more control my defeating their addiction. This is not your only support in getting better but if thats all you seriously have than we'll work with it. This is for getting better. Also non-addicts are free to post encouragement in this thread.

How this will work. For yourself (write it down, you can post if you wish) a list of people you can contact and how you contact them (like if its by phone list their number). Also any time you are free to post in this thread for support. Each day for the first week, each week for the first month, and then each month for the first 18mo you will post here with your progress.

then write down a list of safe activities that you can do instead of your addiction. these can even be places to go such as a public place like a mall or movie theater to keep you from your addiction.

and the hardest of all write down a list of negative things that your addiction creates.

tell family and friends about your journey. at least one other person you can report to outside of here.

Mark your calander if possible for each day clean. set a goal (i'd start with a week but you can do less or more) and if you have achieved that goal on that time reward yourself with something safe. it can be as simple an edible treat or something you love to do but don't get the chance. or give/get a hug. (&&&)

relapses: for it to be considered a full relaspe you need to do your addiction for two or more days straight. if you just slip up once it goes as one slip up. you can count them or not but its the days you don't do your addiction that matters not the days you miss

"Rules" (or guidelines :icon_wink )
    Try your hardest of possible not to continue your addiction
    try not to take advantage of others help.
    don't put down others for relapseing
    give support to to others
    keep civil in your addiction recovery posts (if you want to cuss use -> :***: )
    if you have a bad urge don't just give it, get help
    don't trash up this thread with unrelated info such as (i never __ or i used to __)as you whole post this is for recovering support if you are not in this.
    follow the regular EC code of conduct
    (these rules can be edited at anytime so look for big bolded letter in new posts for updates)

Want to join post with this template filled out.

addiction:
    how long you've had it:
    reason for deciding to stop:
    other(what else should we know?):

Beginning 10-23-07 Anyone can join after too! :thumbsup:

2. xxAngelOnFirexx

addiction: cutting (i'll work on all forms of self-harm after i get this down first since its my worst)
    how long you've had it:I started cutting last summer
    reason for deciding to stop: I am sick of hurting people i care about and being controled by my addiction
    other(what else should we know?): I had 8 1/2 mo down then relasped. most of my addiction has been filled with failed attempts to stop. I am ready this time to make a serious effort.

3. Bryan

I dont know if eating can count as an addiction, but when ever I get upset or depressed, i eat until I dont feel well. It is disgusting and it makes me fat, but I dont really have any other way to deal with my tough situations. I always figure that it is better than drinking, so I just let my self do it, but that is probably not so healthy.

Anyway (excuse my depressive eating rant), Angel, it sounds like your problem is alot more serious than mine. You should be very proud of your self that you are making a serious effort. It will mean alot to you and those who love you. Good Luck :slight_smile:

4. Steam Giant

addiction: Cutting

how long you've had it: About...3 months?

reason for deciding to stop: Cutting myself hurts others. It's destroying what's left of my self-esteem. Cutting attempts can lead to suicide attempts, or mistakes can cause severe injury/death.

other(what else should we know?): While I haven't been cutting for long, it's a hard habbit for me to break. I've been clean for a little while now (I haven't been counting just in case I relapsed), perhaps a few weeks, but I still get regular urges. I'm supposed to be on anti-depressants and mood stabalizers, but I haven't been on my mood stabalizers for a few weeks now, and I won't be able to get any more until the end of this week. My greatest fear now is a severe mood swing that will dip me into a cutting mood faster than I can fight it.

5. Jim1454

I hope this thread helps not only those that recognize they have an addiction, but also those that don't yet recognize it, but may see themselves in some of the things that are written here.

What's an addiction? Well, are you doing something destructive that is making your life unmanageable? Have you decided on more than one occassion to stop, and been unable to stop? You may have an addiction.

Why do people develop addictions? An addiction is a response or a coping mechanism for some people. They 'use' or 'medicate themselves' with their drug of choice (alcohol, drugs, sex, cutting, food, gambling, etc.) to avoid dealing with difficult problems or emotions. It isn't their fault, and they aren't 'weak'. For what ever reason, they just haven't been given the tools necessary to cope with some of the challenges they face in life.

How do people deal with addictions? One of the most proven approaches is the "12 Step" approach pioneered by AA. Why? Well, meeting with others that have the same problem automatically gives you a sense of belonging where you probably have felt very lost and alone in your addiction. Plus it brings the addiction out into the light, and without the secrecy, it starts to lose it's power over you. Having support, sharing with others, working with a therapist - these are all ways to deal with addiction.

addiction: sex and lust.

how long you've had it: I'm not sure. Perhaps my entire adult life. But as with many addictions, they evolve over time. You develop a tolerance to the 'high' that you receive from a given activity, which pushes you to do more extreme activities to acheive the high. My life started to become unmanageable about 4 years ago, and I finally acknowledged that I had a problem and started to deal with it about a year ago.

reason for deciding to stop: Life had simply become unmanageable. I'd become extremely depressed trying to deal with the shame and guilt that I was carrying around with me. Not only was I being unfaithful to my wife, I was having sex with other men - and I hadn't accepted that I was gay. She didn't know what was wrong, but my wife gave me an ultimatum - get help or I'm leaving. I'm SO thankful that she forced me to get help. She may have saved my life.

other(what else should we know?): I've been in 'recovery' for a year now. But it took 9 months for it to really 'click' with me. I've now been sober for 90 days (90 days today, actually - which I find VERY IRONIC! :icon_bigg ). They say that 90 days is a significant milestone because it is enough time for the brain to 'reprogram' itself to better deal with emotions without automatically resorting to the addiction. What does sobriety mean for a sex addict? It means "no sex wth self or others unless it's with the spouse".

I hope this wasn't TMI! :icon_redf But I think it's important that people understand that addiction can come in many forms. I may not have gotten to the point that I did had I recognized my problem earlier. Had I been drinking or snorting coke, perhaps I'd have come to the conclusion that I was an addict faster. For me, the lack of clarity I had around my sexual orientation caused a lot of confusion for me when I was acting out - and that could be something that others on this site have or will experience.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you want to discuss this in private. Thanks. And good luck to the others here dealing with addiction.

6. xxAngelOnFirexx

Day 1

how did all of your days go?

what did you do if anything?

did you are least say and oath? you can write down the stuff later if you haven't yet.
    For me i had a whole ritual.
    I started off by making 8 1/2 red marked up kleenex's, got a token (little red stone carved cat) and a dragons claw holding a red marble necklace, and an NA 'Just for Today' white little keytag and blessed them with Dragon's Blood Oil (i'm sorta Wiccan) and lit rose insense and lit a red votive and a red stick candle. i took my two most used sharps and wrapped them in the kleenex counting off each month i had had cutting free that i started last year on this date. then i burned the kleenex sharps in the garage. i kept the red stick candle and the token, necklace and keytag with me. i meditated and dropped some wax on the cat token and all over the keytag. then i empowered them to give me strengh. i meditated my Angel On Fire over the embers of the sacrifice. Then i meditated until most of teh red stick candle is burned and i come inside, clean up, store the ashes and put my red stick candle on my alter. now i feel in a spiritual mood. I really think we can do this! Strength in numbers!

i REALLY HOPE more people join this. I am very happy to see at least a few others who realized it was time for them to gain power over their addiction.
    Keep going guys! (&&&)

7. Jim1454

Holy cow! Um - that's quite a ritual!

I stayed sober yesterday, and I'm sober so far today as well. 91 days in a row.

I simply went to my SA meeting last night. The usual moderator / facilitator was away, so I lead the meeting last night. Doing that kind of 'service work' is helpful - gives you a sense of purpose. After the meeting one of the newer guys was saying that he was having a really tough time right now and he thought he would benefit from seeing a therapist of some kind. I recommended mine - because I think he's great - and he said he would give him a call. Again, just being there, and being 'present' for another person that is suffering, is quite rewarding.

I'll be seeing my therapist today - which I actually look forward to!

Good luck everyone!

8. Steam Giant

Wow! That's some powerful stuff! I feel kinda bad that I didn't do anything near that, hehe! My ritual wasn't much, but it meant a lot to me. I simply ate my dinner with a steak knife, the type of blade I use to cut. I haven't eaten with a steak knife since I started cutting, because it's usually triggering for me. But this time it was different, and it felt really good to just eat with the damn thing like nothing was wrong.

As far as urges go, this morning as I was walking to work I had a pretty bad one, but at work I kind of forgot about it, so that's good ^^ I'm just tired now -.-

So far so good, right? ^^ we can do this!

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Although I have no addictions to add to this thread, I am following the discussions with great interest. I am really impressed with the efforts you are all making to beat your addictions, and your honesty and openness in your posts here.

(&&&)

10. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    addiction: Eating

how long you've had it: Several years.

reason for deciding to stop: I've gained a lot of weight the past couple of months and it's gotten to the point where I've been making myself sick. I need to kick this habit soon before I end up causing myself serious problems.

other(what else should we know?): I've had a problem with eating for years but even though my eating has been excessive it's never been completely out of my control. Lately though, it's gotten really bad. I find myself eating all the time. It's almost automatic.

11. Louise

I think they only way you can overcome this is with help of a therapist. You can stop difinitively to smoke, to drink, to cut yourselves, etc. you won't die. You can't stop definitively to eat... you will die.

I know this is silly to say but it is true, my brother suffers from constant eating, he just can't stop himself because even if he manages to resist for several hours sooner or later he has to give in and eat again just to stay alive (well you see what I mean):icon_sad:

Please get help, you can't do it on your own it is a particularly perverse and cruel addiction because you CAN'T just stop the best you can hope for is to control it to a reasonable level! Good luck.(*hug*)

12. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately, I can't afford a therapist.

I'm usually okay as long as I can keep busy. The problem is that there hasn't been too much to keep me busy lately. See, I live at home. My mother's practically bedridden and she needs almost constant help to take care of the house and my sister. I spend my days at home cooking, cleaning, etc. It's when those chores run out that I have the problem. It's a small condo so the kitchen is always about 5 feet away. It's hard to resist food when it's always that close and I've got nothing to get my mind off of it.

13. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Leon481. Jim1454 talks about the 12-step plan pioneered by AA. There's an organisation called OA - Overeaters' Anonymous. It's exactly the same as AA but focusses on overeating. Best of all, it's free apart from a voluntary donation at the end of each meeting. It may not be for you, but you've got nothing to lose by going along. You can look them up in your phone directory. So far as I know, they're widespread in the US.

Just some advice, but you owe it to yourself to try everything. Good luck.

14. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I looked up overeaters anonymus and it seems interesting, but I'm not ready to resort to support groups just yet. I'm going to start by trying to take responsibility for my own eating and see where it goes from there. I'll definitely keep that group in mind if I have trouble though.

15. Jim1454

OA! That's exactly what I was going to recommend as well - but you beat me to it!

Recognizing that you have a problem is an important first step, so having an awareness will help. Louise is right as well - eating is something that you can't simply stop doing. You need to eat. Working with a therapist, as well as a support group, will help you develop a healthy (healthier) attitude towards food.

Food addiction is very closely linked to sex addiction - the pleasure centers triggered in the brain are supposed to be quite similar. And as with food, sex is not something that you should be expected to do without for the rest of your life. So developing a healthy attitude towards it is the goal. Good luck! It can be done. Let me know if you want to chat.

16. Jim1454

Day 2

I maintained my sobriety yesterday with regard to my primary addiction. However, I know that I also have a problem with food. I ate a whole container of mini cinamon rolls! Why? I don't really know. I was kind of bored, lonely, tired... All things that set you up for relapse.

Has everyone heard of HALT / BSS?

Hungry
    Angry
    Lonely
    Tired

Bored
    Scared
    Stressed

These are common emotions / physical states in which we are suceptible to our addictions. Become aware of your emotions and try to deal with these emotions in a healthy way, or avoid them if possible (i.e. don't let your self get tired by getting enough sleep, don't go hungry - have a (healthy) snack, don't allow yourself to be bored - have an alternative activity to turn to, etc.)

Otherwise, I had a good day yesterday. I went for my run, saw my therapist, and watched the kids for my wife so she could go out on a 'date'!

17. xxAngelOnFirexx

DAY (i can't remember)

as my meds make me feel better i have no urges. and i'm more social and less anxiety. but my short term memory is basically gone. i can't remember anything and its getting worse. i'm surprised i even remember how to walk (but thinking about it i make a conscious effort to put one foot in front of the other) but there is good things to not remembering: forgetting that you are cold- aren't bothered by it. forgetting that you are in pain- not bothered by it, forgetting your in school in a class-like i'm at home coloring or sleeping but soon as i snap out of it, its sorta scary.
    or my favorite- forget i'm hungry. no eating! yay! (i need to loose like 20lbs but i'll start with 10lbs)
    so i forgot about urges too! its been 20 days since my last cutting, which happened to be my suicide attempt....

o crap! i forgot i was just in my room to change my clothes and head out the door not go online! gotta go!

18. panda

Re: group Addiction

Hello Fellow Addicts,It's been over a year since I drank my last whiskey.At that time I was drinking about 26oz's a day.I was very sick .Also over a year ago I stopped smoking.I was smoking about 50 cigarettes a day.
    For the drinking I went to detox and then various groups and constant therapy.
    For the smoking I had what I called a smoking "Geru" who guided me through time and my
    desire and the patch I finally stopped.
    12 Step Groups are very good.Lots of support from fellow addicts.
    Hitting bottom is a good start for stopping but it's not completely necessary to go that far.
    Recently I've become convinced,for me,that a lot of answers lie with Mindful Meditation.
    I'm reading a book right now called "Eating Mindfully" by Susan Albers.It's about how we look at eating.I've put on about 25 pounds in the past 8 months and want to deal with that.
    The power of a group can overcome anything.

#18 panda, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  19. Steam Giant

DAY 3

I missed my post for day 2 because we lost power to our apartment for 24 hours. Our phone service went out too, but we won't be getting that back for another two weeks at least.

As for how I'm doing, I could be better. I've caught myself about to do bad things, like lighting a match and holding it close to my skin, or playing with a knife, but so far I've been able to stop myself before things got out of hand.

I'm down to two anti-depressant pills, and it's been about a month since I've had a mood stabilizer. I absolutely need to get new meds tomorrow, or I could be in deep trouble. If I run out of anti-depressants too...it won't be a question of if I go back to cutting, it'll be a question of whether or not I can fight off the suicide urges that are sure to follow being completely off of my meds. As it is, I've had two suicide urges this week, one yesterday morning and one this morning, on my way to work. Once at work, I was able to forget about them.

I'm kind of down at the moment. In a couple of hours I'll be at a friend's house at a minor get-together. I'm going to have to try very hard not to cut. I feel an urge coming on.

20. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Days 1&2

I've been able to cut down on my eating to a managable level. I'm managing not to completely pig out and I've gotten myself to choose healthier foods. I know that I'm still eating a higher than normal amount of food, but right now I'm more concerned with controlling the binge eating and letting my body adjust to getting so much less food. Right now is about getting myself stabilized and I'm managing so far but I have a strong feeling that it's going to become harder before it gets easier. The next few days will tell I guess.