1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talent?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kimi, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Kimi

I know I'm not the most serious type on this site but I have been thinking about it for a while now and couldn't come up with the answer so I would like everyone who read this to give it a thought and post it because I really wanna know how everyone think about it.

Anyways, I don't know if I'll be making any sense but here it goes.

You know some say people has its talents. Whether you can sing, draw, dance, act, cook or playing sport. And I sorta believe that. Because some can actually sing, draw, dance, act, cook or playing sport without really trying or practicing.

But there are also people who are very very very good at those things by practicing, or studying. And I think those people has talents called "endeavor", work very hard to be good at something they love doing. Because not everyone can put incredible amount of effort for something even they love it.

That being said, what about those who are not very good at anything?
    I know people will say "Oh, everyone has its talent. They just haven't discovered it." but really?

I mean, really?

If so, what is the difference between those who found their talents and those who haven't?

Luck?

And I know I sound like depressing, moaning, complains about everything bitch but I can't help it. I even started to think that being depressed, moaning and complains about everything bitch is my talent because I can't seems to find my talent.

So, does everyone has its talent? Or some just don't?
    And if they do, what those who haven't found it should do?
    If they don't, what those should do? Accept that fact that they are not good at anything and give up?
    What I should do?

I really don't know.
    I don't have many friends, I can't work hard, I don't even enjoy something I used to because of that and I hate it.
    I don't even know what I want.

#1 Kimi, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  2. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

(*hug*) I honestly don't think people are just born with talent, I think one has to work on it with years of practise becuase a talentis something your good at, right? Just think about one the thing you can do best and try to develop that and you will find what your talent is :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Jackm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talent, its a very odd word in my opinion.. Effectively all it means you're good at something.

Interest + Practice = Talent.

I think if you're interested in doing something, and you want it so much, then you can do it.

You may not have found your "talent" yet but you have interests and they are sure to expand with my formula above :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Jack

4. nate16

I think that the term "talent" is something that people just love so much that they like to take part in it. I also think that it takes a lot of work-everyone needs to work for it.
    I guess that some DNA may play in somewhere, but idk. xD So my suggestion is to get out their and experience new things that you haven't done before......you may stumble upon something that you like and love to do. who knows maybe you'll be fantastic at it!

5. Alex

No one has talent, people have interests and you're bound to be good at your interests eventually, depending on how much you work on it.

You sound depressed more than lacking "talent" do you have anyone you can speak to?

6. Zontar

I think "talent" may just be a short way of saying "learns it faster." Unless you have serious developmental disabilities, you can generally get very good at anything you want if you dedicate all your time to just that one thing.

7. maverick

I do believe that people are born with creative/artistic talents, I've been winning awards in art and writing since I was a little kid, and I know musicians who could play piano or learn music by ear before they were housebroken. Same for artists, actors, etc...some people are just born with a knack for calming animals, or baking souffles, or whatever.

But the flipside of this is, a lot of people with innate talent squander it or lessen it by succumbing to procrastination, laziness, and other forms of self-sabotage.

As I heard it put in writing school, the persistent writer who gets rejected over and over again for their mediocre work will eventually go on to get their mediocre work published, while a talented egotistical writer will never have the will to break through those initial rejections - they're heartbroken by it because they're so emotionally involved in their art and can't stand to have it criticized. As a result, a lot of them give it up.

In the end, talented people and persistent people end up in the same camp of success, because while talented people might get there by occasional strokes of luck or recognition for their talent, tons of talented people go unrecognized and persistent people can be successful just as easily (or more so) by sheer tenacity, and they're not as prone to self-destructive habits as "artistic" types are.

In the words of the King (Stephen King, that is):

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

If you haven't found your talent Kimi, maybe you need to branch out and start trying some different things that you're interested in? And why exactly can't you work hard? Everyone is capable of tenacity, it's just a skill to be cultivated like anything else.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had to guess I would say talent has something to do with someone's biology but a lot to do with the effort and practice they put in it. I would think the brain for certain people might learn certain things better (for example, why are people interested in different things? same idea as why are people better at certain things...) I think people's brains might vary in how they do in specific things like maths and arts. And even more specifically on smaller things like singing, memorization, playing a sport... but that's my guess. :grin: I'm sure you're talented at something, it might just not be what you're hoping. Otherwise, I believe enough practice and dedication and anyone can learn how to do almost anything that is physically possible.

9. Jonathan24

In my opinion( ! ) talent comes in different levels. I mean you could be born with less talent than some other person, but practice all the time and surpass that person. Also, talent isn't always something like singing or dancing. It could be something you wouldn't notice because there aren't competitions for it or anything, like being a good organizer or being very social. Anyway, you shouldn't waste your time thinking "Oh I need to find my talent" that is not helpful and you don't need a certain talent to get by in the world. Nor do you need a certain talent to be happy.

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Kimiiiiii!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Your back

Hmmm

Well some people are born naturally good, some aren't thats why we have to try, practise makes perfect right? Whats your interests?? if your good at your interests your talented right?? or maybe not lol

11. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Hard work can substitute talent. I sucked at drawing, but it was my interest for a long time. Then I started just focusing 6 hours at a time on drawing something, and people end up saying it looks amazing and that I have "talent".

12. simon94

I agree 100%. Lots of people moan about having no talent etc. (One girl in particular comes to mind. Moans about this a lot. Gets straight A’s in every test she takes. Also has a massive talent for getting everyone to pay attention to her by moaning about how she has no talents... Is that ironic or just pathetic?)
    Anyway I try very hard at things. I've been learning piano for half a year now and I'm still a beginner. Two people who I know who started at he same time as me are miles ahead. It’s not that I don’t put time in or I don’t have the passion etc. It just really isn’t happening for me. I used to love art, and hoped that even though I wasn’t that great taking the subject for two years might at least improve my skill. Got an F at the end of the course. Again not that I don’t try, just when i tried to make something it came out wrong.

What I lack in ability though I make up for in perseverance. I’m going to stick with my piano lessons, and I still occasionally doodle to keep my non-exist ant artistic talent flowing. I’m going to keep trying with both- even if it’ll take me until the age of 60 to be half as good as the people round me.

13. TheJoker

My talent is "i'm always right." :lol: Maybe you didn't have in such situation to realize your talent.