1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching Schools

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xxAngelOnFirexx, Oct 22, 2007.

1. xxAngelOnFirexx

I've been in private catholic school since 1st grade. Now in 10th i can't stand it. I used to like the uniformness of the uniforms. Now i'm screaming for induvidality. I was pulled aside in front of the class today by some :***: nun and told to take out all but one part of my earrings. i want to be free, whatever crazy hair and peircings i want. and last but one of the most important parts: i hate religion. i have gospels class. and school masses. what a complete waste of time! and in public school i'd have 6 not 8 classes.
    i want to transfer to public school. i asked my bestfriend/sister (she feels like it) who goes to our local public school and the way she described it, it wasn't to bad. i never switched schools before but i'm a bit nervous. i am going to an all-girls school and it will be odd to have guys. we have block scheduling and at public we'd have regular. slightly different classes. but i could wear my pjs to school if i so felt like it instead of some uncomfortable baggy sweater and ironed skirt! and forget stupid nuns and rules i could do almost anything i want and get away with it (thats how MI public schools are. i heard horror stories from a post-public school teacher at my my school). my friends said that she sits next to a lesbian in her math class. I can be out to the school instead of hiding! (!) and i can meet girls easier! and my friends said no one seems to make fun of anyone. yeah there will be more ethnic diversity from my old catholic school but thats not bad. i was sick of seeing those clones. i just need an escape from the stress and just chill back for school. any advice? i'm still worried and skeptic as much as i love the idea. i'm anti-social and its heard the people are very nice and friendly at this public school as opposed to the cold, judging, girls at my school.

2. IHeartDisney

IHeartDisney Guest

I hate to break it to you, but there are just as much A-holes at public school as there are at a religious school. Take it from someone who attended both kinds....

3. Bryan

It may seem like this public school is heaven and the school you are attending now is a dungeon in hell, but remember that the grass is always greener on the other side. think very carefully, and talk it over with your friends and family before you make the switch, also switching schools mid year can be a pain in the ass.

4. Psych!

Psych! Guest

I've switched schools recently, so I could tell you how it went for me.

I attended a private school with very strict dress code, ahem uniform.
    You couldn't even take your shirt out for Pete's sake, we were all clones.
    Pretty much like you are now.

In public school it's kinda different.
    You see way more people than in other schools, classes are bigger and blah blah blah.
    Anyways, you can just give small comments about the class or something to someone else and slowly start talking with them.
    I'm antisocial too and this works, a little, but it does.
    There's still gonna be a bunch of aholes in public school, but you'll have the luxury of not having to see them so much. ;]

And like someone posted above, the grass will always be greener on the other side.
    There's the good stuff and the bad stuff, so try and make a wise choice before you take a "dive."

5. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Um, I'd say wait until AT LEAST the semester was over to get four classes finished. Trust me, I'm on block (in public school) and switching schools midyear would be a terrible thing to do.

6. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

private and public schools both suck

7. SpikySpice

Public highschool is a chaos, there are mamny types of people, it's fun but sometimes it's not, well, it depends on your opinion and the school you go too. And of course it's cool taht you feel more independent and be who you are and nobody cares

But because of those independences and teh schools are easier than private schools, more troubles happen. But you can find lots of friend who fit your types an hang out and have fun

We have "party" everyday at my school:lol:

8. Louise

I don't want to burst your bubble but I think you are seeing public schools with rose tinted glasses. I don't know how schools are in America but I would be suprised if there was so much laxism.

Do you have the possibility to visit some public schools in your area? talk to some of the kids your age who attend? something like that so that you can get a better idea of what its like.

I think it would also be wise, if you can, to wait until the end of the term. Changing schools is always a difficult time in your life. You need to be feeling very stable and fine within yourself before making such drastic changes in your life.

Good luck :kiss: