1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on the phone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Prccgeek, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Prccgeek

Is it a wimpy move to come out to my dad over the phone? I am away at college right now and I just think that would be the easiest way for both of us. However, I rarely here people talk about coming out in a phone call...especially to their parents. I came out to my mom face to face about a year and a half ago...and while it went well it was still ridiculously stressful. At that time I also was coming out to lots of people and I was kind of hyped up about it....and as odd as it is, as I have gotten more used to living out of the closet, I find it harder to come out to people (not just random people, or college friends, but people back home that I have known for a while...or my whole life)

2. Flyers2011

It might work for some people. I wrote my mom a letter before I left the country. Same idea, except being on the phone is more personal than the written word, because you can hear that person's voice.

I think you should do it if you think it'll make it easier for you and him. That way when you go home for a weekend or a vacation you guys will already have the knowledge established. It might make it easier.

3. TheDarkerPoet

To be honest, my immediate reaction is definitely not. But after reading your post, I guess it might be easier for you. If you feel like it can't wait or something, then I suppose. And like the above poster said, it might be easier for you.

At the same time, I am almost completely against this. After coming out you would probably want to have a heart-to-heart conversation with your father, especially if he wants some clarification or has a hard time with it. Also, if he reacts badly over a phone call and you aren't there to talk to him about it, you might feel bad about it until the next time you are able to see him face-to-face. I know I would want to tell him personally.

But do whatever you feel is best for you. If you feel like it would work better over a phone call, go for it.
    Good luck (*hug*)

4. Zontar

With such a sensitive topic as this, I wouldn't prefer to do it over the phone. Just imagine how awkward it would be if it doesn't go well. Better do it face-to-face.

5. Prccgeek

See, if someone asked me this question, I would say telling them face to face would be better too. However, I am sure it will be go okay. It will be a bit awkward, but he will be cool with it. My parents are cool about gay rights, love my gay friends, and are really open to it. However, my dad and I have a really goofy relationship. There are no serious sit down talks. I feel like talking on the phone might take away the "serious talk" feel to it.

6. Flyers2011

I see what you mean. Would you want it to seem like a less serious talk? Like, "Hey I'm pansexual, so how was your day?" Instead of treating it like something extremely serious, it seems more, casual and it might help him deal with it easier because you're not amping him up with a whole "I need to talk to you, it's serious."

Or would you want it to be serious so that you can get all that you want to say out?

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I don't think there is a perfect way to come out to someone. It really just comes down to personal choice and with whatever you are comfortable with.

If distance is a problem why not try skype or any other cam program? Its more personal than via phone and the awkward silences aren't as awkward.

8. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Regardless of what other people say or think, do what makes you feel best. Because honestly coming out isn't for your parents benefit it is for your own. So consider doing what is not exactly easiest, but most beneficial.

Remember your parents love you, no matter their reaction, its out of love.

Good luck

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    no, its NOT a wimmpy move. Come out in whatever way makes you most comfortable.
    I came out to my first person over the phone, and came out to my Dad when I had two fingers pressed against his carotid artery.

Go get 'em!

10. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi prccgeek

I am usually the first person to advocate that face to face with parents is the best way to go.After reading your post i had a feeling that you have thought this through and maybe a phone call could work for you and your dad.

You didnt say why you are not out to your dad yet,but it reads like you are not as close to him as your mum.If this is the case and you dont see him so often a phone call seems fine in your case.

At the end of the day there is no right or wrong way to do this,so my advice would be to just do whatever you are comfortable with.

Good luck whatever you decide on.

11. Ianthe

No way of coming out is wimpy. The main thing is to do it, especially if you are sure he will be accepting. Coming out is scary and difficult even when you have every reason to believe it will all be fine. Therefore, doing it anyway is brave, and not wimpy.

You know yourself and your father. If you are ready to tell him, and you think over the phone is the best way, then that's what you should do.

12. Lotty

I came out to a friend on the phone. It was scary, because I couldn't see her face. But that also made it easier. So yes, it might just work for you

13. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I think a phone call would be good for you.

14. Prccgeek

Thanks everyone...I promised myself that if I was living in the lgbt service house at my college (which I will be next year and I am super excited!) that I wouldn't lie about why I wanted to live there. I don't want my dad to get the idea that I am just being an ally.