1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out discussion ideas?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ADTR fan, Mar 6, 2011.

1. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

So my school’s GSA is running a LGBT/Anti-Bullying forum, and my job is to run a small group discussion on coming out. So far my idea’s are to

1. What is coming out? Why is coming out important?
    2. What are the societal attitudes to the LGBTQ community? What are the individual’s attitudes?
    3. How can we change our attitudes towards name-calling (before or after someone comes out?)
    4. Video with T. R. Knight on being an ally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgOuqazaHf0&feature=player_embedded
    5.Response to the video: how can you assist people in coming out?
    Does anyone have any ideas of other things I could incorporate into the discussion?

2. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Assuming there are straight people in your GSA, you can discuss what they can do to help stop the bullying. And you could help them realize that they can make a large or even larger difference.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Just thinking out loud here so bare with me.

You could ask why is it hard to come out and what makes it easier for people to come out.

I'm guessing the discussion has to be around name calling and the like, right?

If not, then you can also talk about the different stages of coming out and different resources (including websites, LGBT centers, pflag etc) around your area for people to come out.

You could talk about the point of view of the parent and why its hard for them to cope with it and how the LGBT person can help the process go smoother.

Maybe general fears about coming out?