1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My bf and I

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by yeahyeah, Mar 8, 2011.

1. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

So I love my boyfriend. We are so happy but there is one "problem", distance. We want to live together but we don't know ehat to do. I could go and live where he lives and study over there, the same I'm studying in here. The thing is that I doubt about the school in that state. Other plan is both of us go and study somewhere else, in good schools. We don't know what to do. I want to be with him. But at the same time I think these are impulsive tougths. Anyway we said that we need to do this in the best of the ways and with calm. One thing is sure, we are going to be together, the question is: when?

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some questions first, perhaps:
    - How long have you been together yet?
    - How often do you meet now?
    Because terminology about what constitutes a long-distance boyfriend can vary a lot between who I'm talking to, I've found.

In any case, I think that I would advise going to the best school you can get, and go for what you really want to study (and the same for him). Making your relationship work by moving closer together is a lofty goal, but you'll be spending 8 hours a day (and often more) doing your job, and it's important that you enjoy that too.

If you end up picking second choice, it risks becoming a source of resentment even if you're together. If you'd end up frustrated about not pursuing your own goals, you might even start to blame him from standing in the way of that (and vice versa).

So I guess the best option is to see if your top schools and his top schools match (which would probably mean both moving away from your own location). If so, then that's an option. If not, you can call me cold and heartless but I'd suggest prioritising your personal development, and just try to be together in the holidays as often as you can. If it's meant to be, there'll be time enough to catch up later.

3. xequar

Having done the long-distance relationship thing for two years before Mr. X finally moved to Michigan for me, I agree with pretty much everything you've written here. In our case, he was in Chicago, and I'm in Detroit, so it was 4-5 hours one way by car. One of us drove to see the other pretty much every weekend, as well, so after two years of doing that, we pretty much knew we would be fine when we moved in together (which we did in June). We also texted each other throughout the day and talked pretty regularly.

But, if you're only seeing each other once every month or two and/or you've only been together a short time, you might want to see if the relationship has a bit more staying power before you jump into moving schools.

4. Just Adam

Im in uk my bf is in Canada. We've been together nearly a year now and weve not even been together but he has completed my life.

With him I feel happy and have reason. He puts me t ease bs comforts me when I'm depressed. Henloves and accepts me.
    Distance can work. It takes time and commitment to it.

So ... I say take time and talk lots to each other look at all your options there and him with you and look maybe halfway or nearer to your homes to study.

You will find away aslong as you concentrate on being together.