1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Life is Crashing Down

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Grof142007, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Grof142007

:bang: Ever Since my Dad got drunk and lost his license things have gone down hill. He lost his Job. but they eventually took him back and just put him in the warehouse with deducted pay like 2.50$. He has never manage to pay the bills on time. and now since im going to college he has to pay my Monthly Balance(100$ every 25th). We have no car since it broke. Now we have to take the city bus to get to work and school.

With the Money he making we are barely scraping by. I mean we so bad i something dont eat just so we can use they money for bus fare. and i cant even get a 10$ haircut. He now taken up a 2nd job at 5$ anh hour and that barely enough for bus fare. Well this morining i was plan on doing my school work as i was in a great mood and he come in here talking about me getting a job, us losing the house, and a whole buch of other crap which i dont want on my shoulders. I mean i go to school 5hrs a day 4 days a week. i dont need he worrys on top of mine.

I mean if i had a job i seriously doubt my paycheck would even help then i would have even more stress on me:bang:

I mean i cant even get a job i have tried. How are you suppose to get a job if you never had a job?

Well Thanks for Listening i had to get that off my chest otherwise i would going to do something stupid.:help:

2. Louise

You probably won't like my answer but this is my slant on things.

You are 18, you are a man, you can try to take some off the burden off your dad who is obviously not managing very well, for whatever reasons.

5 hours of school 4 days a week leaves loads of time to get a part time job 10 hours a week. There are 168 hours in the week, if you sleep for 56 and go to school for 20 that still leaves 92 of free time! A part time job would give you money for the bus and food at lunchtime. By paying for your own bus fair and some of your food you will take the first steps into financal independance and be helping your dad.

Of course you don't need extra shit in your life but life is a great bucket full of shit and wether we like it or not you get a dose dumped in your face every day. Do you think your dad wants all this crap? I doubt it bit he is still doing his best for you. You are not a kid anymore, it is time to wake up and help your dad. Why should it be only him working? Families are micro societies and everyone has to chip in and do their best at their level.

Sorry if all that seems a bit harsh, it isn't meant to be but I know what it is like to carry your entire family financially on your back with people in perfectly good health sitting back and enjoying the ride. :icon_sad:

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Just what you need two bitchy mothers........but Louise is right. It's time you get a job. All my children have worked since they were in their early teens and it has been a really good thing for them. They are responsible and care about their possessions more than the average joe. My middle daughter is married, works full-time and goes to college full-time. Now I don't expect everybody to be such a good manager of time like she is because I think she truly is an exception, but like Louise said you have time to get a part-time job. Have you checked into work study jobs at the college? This is a great place to get some part-time employment and help with tuition costs.

Your dad made a horrible mistake and he's paying for it. You can take some of the burden off by being more responsible for yourself. End of lecture. (*hug*)

4. Jim1454

With that kind of thinking, nobody would ever get a job! Everyone has to get their 'first' job some time. Now seems like a good time given your situation. I'm not sure where you live, but lots of retailers and restaurants have jobs available to students.

I know it sometimes get's a bad rap (i.e. "would you like fries with that") but I have a close friend who started working at McDonald's in his teens, and he said it was the best place to work ever! He now has his own consulting practice, but he has talked about the great training and opportunities for advancement that there were at McDonalds. And there has to be one of those near by! They're everywhere!

Good luck!

5. Grof142007

Thanks guys it good to know my dad was tell wasnt total bs I will try to keep this in mind as he dragging me from place to place to get me a job I really do appreicate the advice i know it will help me :wink: time to go tell him im ready to go job hunting *sigh* going to be a long day =)

6. Louise

If you know that you HAVE to get a job and from what you say, your dad really does need your help, start by thinking what things you enjoy, or at least don't mind, doing.

Do you think you could bus tables?
    Could you wash cars at your local car dealership?
    Could you wait tables?
    Could you stock shelves or be a trolley boy at your local supermarket?

These are just some rough ideas that popped into my mind. Which of those suggestions would sit easiest with you. Once you have decided that maybe being a trolley boy (for example) wouldn't be so bad, go and see all the managers of all the local supermarkets and see what happens. If this is a bust go for the next thing on your list.

At least this way you are taking some control over this and making the best of a situation which doesn't particularly please you but hey, I think you will feel really good about yourself if you can help your dad. There is a certain pride to be had and merit in doing something your don't really want to do but doing it anyway to the best of your ability because you know it helps someone you love.

Good luck :thumbsup:

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Now is actually a good time to get a job, as a lot of stores and restaurants will be taking on more people for the holiday season. OK, so it may not be a permanent position but it gets you a few months money and a few months experience which will help with going for the next one.

As Louise said, think about what you want to do and look at what's about. But don't just look at job adverts, also phone or go and ask at places where you would like to work. You may even get lucky and get a job that is a first step on the career you want.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

8. IHeartDisney

IHeartDisney Guest

No offense but I went to college full-time and worked a 30 hour a week part-time job, so it IS possible to do. Also there are lots of 18 y/o's who have never had a job before, so I'm sure there are plenty of jobs out there. Yeah they may not be the best jobs ever, but they exist. Good luck!

9. Sam

Sam

getting a job is not the end of the world, sure it will be more difficult managing school and work but who said life was easy? getting a part time job will help more then you think it will it can pay for your $100 balance and bus fare and some food. you are 18, an adult and your father needs your help step up and help.

10. 24601

I don't have anything to add to the advice given above, and I'd probably sound like a hypocrite anyway since I don't have a job, either. BUT, I felt like I should point out that $5/hr is less than the FEDERAL minimum wage by 85ยข and less than the North Carolina minimum wage by $1.15. While I'm not sure exactly what to tell you to do with this information, I felt like I should point it out. I know your father has little choice in the matter, but it's a shame that such conditions and such low pay exists. I'm sorry to hear that situations have driven you to this point. You have my hopes for improvement, and sympathies for your hardships.

11. GLDN

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    dude....u only have school for 4 days??
    we have 5 over in HOUSTON and i have a job as a BUSBOY and get paid 100 and thats just the weekend.....SO???