1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of coming out as trans*

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JJ21, Mar 9, 2011.

1. JJ21

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a long road ahead of me. Luckily I am older and don't live at home.
    I'm going to go from engaged for 4 years to transgender in their eye's.

I have to break off my engagement although we have talked before and he said he understands if that's what I have to do.
    My parents I just don't know what to do with. They will most likely just bluntly say no your not.

I'm going on a gap year in another country so I hope to become stronger and need some LGBT people.

I just wanted to share that. With anyone really.

#1 JJ21, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. Wolfy

If you've gone to Therapy, I'd say tell them you're Transgendered once you're diagnosed. (I don't like using that term >>)
    But, if not or w/e, don't do it until you believe you're ready. Build up the courage needed before doing so.

3. JJ21

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad to think you think so because that's exactly what I'm going to do.

4. Eleanor Rigby

Hi JJ,

keep in mind that coming out is not a race. If you don't feel ready yet to come out to your parents, then don't. Coming out is something you have to do when you feel ready for it.
    You're going to be in another country for a year, far from home, so hopefully, you're going to be able to live the way you want to and maybe start therapy as well. It might be easier for you this way.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to come out to your friends first so that you'll have people to back you up in case things aren't going well with your parents.
    Here is a link to a Pflag booklet that you may find useful when you'll come out to your parents. Hopefully this will help them understand better what you're going through.
    http://community.pflag.org/Document.Doc?id=202
    Take care, Cécile

5. anthonyroleak

have you looked into the type of health care coverage you will have when you go to the other country you mentioned? I am quite sure BC covers alot of things and will be ok with your transition but I would urge you to find out this other countries human rights laws regarding transitioning. I was very lucky to find that my family did not react as i expected and found my roman catholic grandmother to be my corner stone in "winning" my family over. I was scared to come out, strangely my biggest fear was rejection from the trans people i knew.
    There are going to be struggles and sometimes i felt i was trying to move mountains. But now I am healthy and happy, I am just your average guy. So I guess what i am trying to say is that I have found great comfort just from finaly being able to be me.

A quote from my grandmother " I saw this thing on tv, about ummm,, trans people. And it was just STUPID!!! These peoples families .. I mean.... (all flustered with her anger) well Its still the same person they loved, its still their family. I can't understand why thier family wouldnt accept them.
    this was before i came out, i think she had me pegged ling before i was ready to come out.
    Build yourself a support network, with friends or anyone who will be supportive, for me I found it very helpful to know that reguardless of how my interactions were with other people i had someone that was "safe" to talkto. your fiance seems supportive.
    For me the rough journey was definately worth it to get where i am now.