1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell if someone is gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hert3583, Mar 9, 2011.

1. hert3583

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    One of my friends last night asked me how "my radar" was, and it actually got me to thinking, is there any reasonable of way of being able to have some good indication that another guy is gay??

2. Zontar

Do they like cock?

Well, there you go!

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Well there are some indicators. The flipping of the hands, strut in the walk, personal appearance, voice fluctuation, and they're defiantly gay if they ask you out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Its helps to kind of go out somewhere and people watch. Its fun too ^_^

4. Beachboi92

ultimately there is no sure fire way of knowing and being able to say why and while some of the stereotypes may be indicators they ultimately do not tell for sure. I have in fact hit on two guys based on watching them for those sorts of things and both ended up straight. One was SOOOOO embarrassing the other i am now friends with xD

As time progresses and you get to know more gay people and take time people watching you may get the jist of it. It is very reliant on being the kind of person that can read other people. I've spent many years working on it and at this point i have a pretty good one xD i can ping people so far in the closet they haven't realized it yet (evidence by a different friend which inevitably lead to trouble).

No sure fire way until you ask unless you meet them in a gay club or they hit on you or something. Of course their is also the prowling around, asking friends, checking fb stalkerish method if you so choose xD

5. GreyGirl08

I think that the best indicator, especially when other signs aren't present, is how a person watches other people. Observe who they look at and how. Are they glancing or staring? What part of the body are they looking at? Of course, as others have said, there's no sure-fire way, but I have found this to be helpful. (This is also coming from a bi/lesbian who usually reads as straight to others).

6. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I agree with GreyGirl. Those stereotypes are just something that you can base typical judgments on. When your not sure, analyse that person and try to make a deeper level of connection to the signals they give off. There is no fer sure way of know, but take it from someone who's gay-dar is wayyyy better then most, it gets really easy when you practice. :grin: I can tell when people are gay even if their not out.

7. stageone

Ummm.... Ask?

8. nate16

haha I will put this challenge to the test. Lately i've been crushing on a guy.....with a girlfriend.......who seems to be gay, but idk. Maybe he's bi. What i've usually gone by is watching how much eye contact, etc the person gives with me. It's not a sure fast way, but it helps if my gardar is low running that day.

Another way is my mom( you're thinking 'huh?' right?) but my mom has never been wrong before. (for 14 years anyway) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. WhiteFox

WhiteFox Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have heard that a walk is the easiest way to tell. There was a study where subjects were able to tell a persons orientation a little over 60% of the time only watching them walk. This number is sort of depressing because when I read this years ago I could have swore that number was higher but maybe it was a different study, who knows. Anyways, I have also asked out st8 guys before, and its been disastrous for me so I dont look to much into these "signs" anymore lol

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20762841/ns/health-mental_health/

10. ShebbsIsAwesome

Can you really get a hit as to whether or not someone is gay based on their eye contact?
    how do you do that, I wanna see if I fit into that group

11. straal1972

too bad gaydar doesn't work on yourself.......or else i would have known about myself ages ago......dang it....

12. RaRa

Just wanted to let everyone know that even though this works sometimes, in most cases it probably won't. I'm a guy that can appreciate a hot woman...so if I see one, I'll "check her out." :icon_wink

13. aidan

whistle the first half of the born this way chorus. if they whistle back the other half, they're gay.

14. gorilaman44

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Take the person out somewhere like lunch, (if your at school even better if you have lunch with that person.) Watch their eyes when a hot guy comes by he will quickly look, then look down and then look back at you. Its slight but noticable. I got this information from a video on youtube (How To Tell If Someone Is Gay - Foolproof!) but I realized when I watched it I do it myself.

15. needshelp

you're talking about this right here.

[YOUTUBE]KVMCfIfakJQ[/YOUTUBE]

well, davey wavey has a point with this right here. saw this before some months ago and it scared the shit out of me.

but with gaydar though, i believe that it's real. there's been gay guys that have hit on me, staring me down like :icon_bigg and etc and this was around the time i was deep in denial, refusing to acknowledge that i could possibly be gay. gaydar is real.

16. ukeye

ukeye Guest

hhaaha you totally can't in my opinion. This reminds me of a john waters film pink flamingos where the egg lady quotes 'If they're smart, they're gay.. if there stupid their straight'.

I find the quieter more alternative looking guys to be either a) gay or b) open to the idea or c) cool with whatever, non judgmental

Dress can have a lot to do with it, and conversationally, I find the outspoken ones to be a bit more open to it.. in a society that is predominately straight and still pretty homophobic, I guess gay people have something to say on a lot of topics.

17. browneyedboy

Love It!!!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. J Snow

Hmmm, I don't feel like I walk like that... I feel the need to start walking "gayer" now...

19. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I put on Born This Way in the car with my best friend and he belted out "No matter gay straight or bi..." I'm about 95% sure he's gay. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But in all seriousness though, the eyes. Watch the eyes.

20. Tiny Catastrophe

LMAO WIN! :roflmao: