1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well this kind of lowers my self esteem...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Foxywolf, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Foxywolf

Well today my friend (one who is very supportive of gays and stuff) was upset over multiple things (long story) and one of the things she got upset about was the fact that the poll at our school revealed that only about 50% of people in our school support gay marriage. She also learned in her state of distress that one of my close friends is against gay marriage :frowning2: This makes me really sad that one of the people I was potentially thinking of coming out to might not be as supportive as I had hoped.
    I don't know it's kind of just a blow to my self esteem. I thought I was learning to accept myself so well, but then this happens. It just makes me so hurt and sad. I don't know what I'm asking for in this thread. I guess I'm just expressing my sadness and looking for support or something.
    I just feel so lost right now. Does anyone else find it hard to accept themselves at times? Do you go through like stages of happiness and sadness? I just feel this ache inside of me.
    It's hard.

2. TheDarkerPoet

The fact that your friend does not support gay marriage is not your problem, and I'd just like to make that clear.

However, I see how it's hard to hear that, especially when you were gathering up the courage to come out to him/her. I can't say I'd relate to this; I'm the kind of person who would gladly tell somebody off for not accepting my sexuality.

Don't let this news bring you down about yourself, chica. One day, I guarantee you will find that there should be nothing but pride for who you are and who you choose to love.
    (*hug*)

3. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Omg :frowning2: , that really sucks :/ reminds me when I came out to my bestii but she wasn't supportive of gays at all and I got really mad at her and didn't talk to her for the longest time but she eventually accepted me. I think it's just that people are afraid of things that they are unfamiliar with :/ they don't know any better, becuase they're ignorant. I wish you all the best! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Foxywolf

Yeah thanks guys, I actually thought that she would be more accepting because a lesbian couple owns the lake house next to her lake house. They were really nice people. I wonder why she is against gay marriage. Just makes me so sad. Hopefully if/when I come out to her she will be more open minded about it.

5. TheJoker

i don't think it would be 5% support for gay marriage where i am.You and your friend consider yourselves as lucky. About your other friend, if she is not support,you doesn't need her as friend. Friendship is more than jokes,having good time.

I can't accept myself. (actually i don't know or don't wanna know) Sadness here if i think about it.Other times just emotionless.I forgot what is the stage of happiness.But it's me.Hope she'll be ok with your coming out.

6. Ianthe

Well, you could ask her why she feels that way. Many people are opposed to gay marriage but in favor of civil unions, because they see it as some sort of compromise. While I don't like that particular stance, it usually doesn't mean that the person hates gay people. They just don't understand that implying that our love is less sacred than other people's is profoundly offensive.

The US is currently about evenly divided on the issue as well, in terms of being in favor of gay marriage, but the support for either gay marriage or civil unions, when combined, is more like 70% or something. Around half of the people opposed to gay marriage are in favor of civil unions. (I'm basing that on polls cited in this article of the Huffington Post.)

Also in that article, you can see that the current 45%/46% split is up from 27%/65% in 1996, which was back when I was in high school. So, things are looking up. :thumbsup:

Anyway, talk to your friend and find out what her exact position is and why. Tell her that you were surprised because of the nice neighbor couple you mentioned, since you aren't sure you want to come out to her.

7. Foxywolf

Yeah, I actually thought it was a pretty good percentage, but she hates seeing people discriminated against so it really upset her that it was only a slim majority on the girls side and a slim minority on the boys side that supported gay marriage.
    But one thing I am very glad for, I am glad to have such a wonderful supportive friend like her. She really is wonderful to me, I don't know what I'd do with out her. She is just one of those people that 'gets' life, you know?
    Yeah maybe I will ask her... eventually. My friend said she kind of thought that marriage was defined as between a man and a woman... :frowning2:

#7 Foxywolf, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  8. TheJoker

Sweetheart, as long as you don't plan to get marry with her, i see no problem.:lol:

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go with this, I'll even throw in a hug. (*hug*)

10. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Not supporting gay marriage doesn't mean one has anything against gay people.

I personally am a full supporter of gay marriage, but my second cousin is gay and has a long term partner. They are both against gay marriage. Don't bother asking why, I really don't understand how. But I think that it might be unfair to assume that your friend wouldn't be accepting because of her stance on gay marriage.