1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closet becoming crowded

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mrbigshot, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mrbigshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi everyone, I am Freshman in college, but out to no one. I don't feel like I am ready to come out yet, but it feels harder by the day to live this closeted lifestyle. I don't fit any gay stereotypes, and because of that I really don't think anyone suspects. Despite being uninterested, I even hook up with girls every so often just to keep myself securely in the closet and keep suspicion away. I know how horrible it is to do this, and I am now finding myself in a little too deep. I don't mean to sound conceited when I say this, but I now have at least 5 or more girls actively pursuing repeated hook ups or a potential relationship with me, and my friends are starting to question why I don't pursue at least one of these girls. Life would be so much easier if I could just find the courage to come out, but I just can't imagine myself as gay yet, and I just worry about my future as a gay man. I'd almost rather live this lie, I'm just so lost and confused. Help please!

2. Flyers2011

Is there a reason you don't come out? Like, are you religious (or have a religious family)? Are you afraid of getting gay-bashed?

I suggest finding one friend, a good friend, it can be a non-relative, a relative, anyone that you really trust.

Since you've mentioned that you're in college, do you know if your college has any LGBT groups? Sometimes they'll offer a form of counseling so that you can talk your problems out with someone who has gone through a lot of the issues you're going through. I suggest going there, they can give you all kinds of resource materials and ideas for coming out.

Most importantly. Coming out is NOT a race. Take it at your own pace. If you want to go fast, go fast. If you want to go slow, go slow. No one is pressuring you, so don't pressure yourself. Make sure you come out when you're comfortable, not when you think people would want to hear it. If you're not comfortable yet, don't do it.

As for the girls, you don't want them. Tell them you're not interested. Tell them that you are not interested in a relationship because of school or some other reason. You may be using the girls to fill the space of physical intimacy that you're not getting from guys. You feel lonely. But it's not fair to be with these girls and not want them back. Be honest with not wanting to be with them, even if you tell a white lie about why you don't want to be with them.

Take it slow. Don't do anything that you are not comfortable with. This is your journey, no one else's. Do it the way you want to.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

As I said in another thread recently, it can be really frightening to make any moves towards coming out, as it gives a sort of "finality" to the whole gay thing. Up until then, it's all internal, and it's like you can vanquish it all by saying "OK, now I'm straight". But once you start telling people (or dating/hooking up with guys), that makes it more "real".

>>>I just can't imagine myself as gay yet, and I just worry about my future as a gay man.

Being gay means precisely one thing - you dig guys. That's it. That's all. Everything else stays precisely the same. I dress in T-shirts and jeans every day. I listen to rock music. I have season tickets to a contact sport. But me like-y the dick-y, and that means I'm gay. :slight_smile:

Your "future as a gay man" doesn't have to be any different from your "future as a straight man". Everything you had hoped to see in the distance - career, house, car, married, kids - is all still obtainable. The only difference is your wife is going to have a penis. :slight_smile:

You might benefit from spending some more time around other gay folk. Just reading and posting here might be a benefit. You might also think about the gay student union at your university. Once you meet and get to know more gay folks, your idea about "what is gay" will probably change, and you'll probably start feeling a lot better about it. And at that point, coming out won't seem like such a daunting task.

Lex

4. mrbigshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There is no reason for me to not come out, except that being gay just doesn't fit this whole romanticized, storybook vision I had for my life. Wife, kids, all that etc. I know that's not a realistic thing to aspire to anymore, but I guess I just haven't totally come to terms with that yet. Neither myself nor my family is religious AT all, and I know that at least my immediate family would be thrilled if I were to just be honest with myself and I know that they would just want me to be happy. There is one gay guy in my group of friends at school, and while I know my friends are relatively tolerant, they still poke fun at him on occasion, and act as if the word gay has a negative connotation. I have great friends at home too, who I know are super tolerant and would just treat it as nothing of great importance, which is what I would really want. Maybe I should start by telling them, but it just sucks cause we won't all be at home again until the summer.

I do feel as though my friends at school would make some sort of spectacle of it, and that is the last thing I want. All in all, I know that I am lot luckier than most in knowing that my friends and family would be supportive. But I'm just not sure I can admit it to myself yet, and I don't know how to handle these girls without making it obvious that I am gay.

5. browneyedboy

hey :slight_smile: im not really able to give advice because im pretty much in the same situation as you.

but from what you said above you sound like you have an amazing support system in place who will be there for you when you are eventually ready :slight_smile:

Welcome to EC.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>There is no reason for me to not come out, except that being gay just doesn't fit this whole romanticized, storybook vision I had for my life. Wife, kids, all that etc.

Again, there's no reason it doesn't have to. The changes (husband for wife, adopted or surrogate children for standard biologically conceived ones) are minor enough that the overall picture shouldn't change much at all. Do give it some thought.

Lex

7. mrbigshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the reponses guys, your post especially Lexington has already made me start to feel much better. I guess my next question for you guys, well it's not really a question so much as wondering if any others have felt this way. I am somewhat afraid of my coming out devaluing the last 4 or 5 so years of my life. I was an accomplished student athlete, am going to a great college although I have given up sports, and I just feel like some people are going to think I was living a lie during this great period of my life and therefore having it somehow mean less. I know this probably irrational, and I will always know how hard I worked to accomplish the things that I have, but I can't shake the feeling that people are going to try to take some of these things away from me. I'm not even sure if any of that makes sense to you guys, but I just don't want people to think less of me because I wasn't exactly who I was presenting myself as during my high school years.

8. Mr.Pushover

Then why not come out to him first? It would be good to come out to someone who can help you in your not-online persona life.

9. Flyers2011

That makes sense. It really does, the reason why you don't want to come out. You had an idea about your life, and it was shattered. Many people go through this over many different issues.

Maybe you could find a way to contact your friends while you're at college? Facebook, etc. Yes, it's not as personal, and I only suggest doing it if you feel it cannot wait. But that's your decision.

I know many colleges have counseling programs, if that is something you wouldn't mind looking into. A college I went to provided free stress management, depression, and general therapy for students. Maybe you could look into something like that?

As for the girls. Just tell them you're not interested. If you have to use the, "Its not me, its you" speech, use it. It's better than these girls thinking you have a chance with them, when they don't. Tell them you want to focus on your education more. It makes sense for a lot of college kids. You could even tell the girls, "I just want to be friends, I don't see us having a romantic future together, but I don't want to lose you as a friend."

Finally, if you haven't come to terms with it, don't come out. Try some 'coping' techniques. Like, try writing 'I'm gay' on a piece of paper a number of times. You can ditch this piece of paper in a wastebasket somewhere and no one besides you will know about it. Stuff like that will help. If you're an avid reader, you could read books. As weird as it sounds, it helped me cope because as I read the books I thought, "Oh my god, that's exactly what I'm going through right now." You can personify this fictional character with your own emotions. I suggest "Lucky" by Eddie D'Olivera. It's about a guy who realizes he's bisexual when he goes to college and how he copes with it. His family and friend situation is similar to yours.

Just take it slow and with EC, you're not alone in your journey :slight_smile:

10. mrbigshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That sounds like an awesome book Flyers2011, i'll have to check it out. You guys really are helping to assuage a lot of the fears that I have, and I can really tell that you guys have been in my shoes before. I think my course of action is to just tell these girls that I am not interested, and leave it at that as I tough out the rest of the semester. Come out to friends and family over the summer, in person where it can be more meaningful. And then finally, come out to college friends when I get back to school next year. I think I can live with that, and it gives me a little more time to come to terms with it for myself.

11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, welcome to EC! :smilewave
    I hope we'll be able to help you out, and that you'll have fun here in the meantime!

Your situation does sound very similar to where I was at the start of college. At the time, all the signs were there: I liked guys, hadn't actually thought of girls in years, though I faked interest every so often (never to the point of dating, though), and generally kept hoping it would all be a bad dream and I'd wake up straight one day.
    I actually kept that up all through college, but eventually it started to dawn on me that I couldn't change who I was, but that I could learn to become happy with it. And so far I haven't been disappointed.

What I did was pretty close to what the others recommend.
    First of all: it can take some time to get comfortable with it yourself. Like Flyers said, it helps to just immerse yourself in it a bit. Try writing down "I'm gay". Try saying it out loud in a mirror (when no one is around). Stop forcing yourself to look for a potential female date and enjoy looking at cute guys. Try to imagine how dating a guy would be. How it would be to actually have a relationship with one (bear in mind that living together with a guy, and having kids are perfectly possible these days). And when it gets to sex... well, I think you get the idea :wink:

You don't need to come out to all your friends at once. In fact, I tend to recommend taking a cautious approach and coming out to a few first. I came out to the one gay guy in my group of friends first, and asked him to keep it quiet for a bit, while I worked up the courage to tell others. Being gay himself, he was perfectly understanding and willing to help me (even though I was the biggest overt homophobe in my circle of friends before that). From there, I came out to a couple of them, one at a time. And by the time half of them knew, I was ready to come out entirely.

That's one plan, but it seems an idea is already crystallising in your mind. In any case, stick around. Talking to other gay guys, if only online, can already help a lot. And we're always here if you need more information!

12. zerogravity

This was me about 4 years ago - and honestly it is a bit painful to read. I did the exact same thing, except I made the decision to go back into the closet. I really hope you dont make the same mistake as I did, because being in the closet and keeping secrets just gets harder.

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't come out of the closet until I was 20 or 21. Less because of fear, but simply because I was simply clueless. I really didn't have any idea I was gay until my junior of college, at which point it was sort of a big "duh" moment for me. :slight_smile: Did anybody have any issue with me coming out late? Not so far as I know. I didn't even have to tell them about my cluelessness. It seems most people are aware that coming out isn't an easy path for most people, and that people become ready at different points in their life. They seem to know that even if everybody is going to be accepting (as appears to be true for you, and as was true for me) doesn't mean it's going to be an easy step to take. So don't fret much about how your friends will take it.

Your plan sounds like a good one. Keep working on yourself, and cut the girls off at the pass. I think you'll come around to a better spot sooner than later.

Lex

14. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi mrbigshot,welcome to ec.

As Lex has already pointed out,your plan on coming out sounds pretty good.

Now that you have accepted being gay,giving yourself that extra bit of time to come to terms with it and get more comfortable with yourself will make coming out both easier and a better expirience.

Good luck