1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bottle It Up

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Saikou7, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Saikou7

I have quite a hard time expressing my feelings to people. It doesn't matter if I'm sad, angry, or anything else. I'm the guy that is "always happy," but I'm not always happy. I just don't know how to express my feelings. :bang:

I haven't always been like this; It seems to have developed within the past 3 years or so. Regrettably, it has made me more of a pushover than I would like :dry:

I have people to talk to, I just can't.... I don't know why... (Some of) my friends do seem fake, though, so I wouldn't want to open up to them.

When I told my parents how I felt, my mother said I was just making it all up for attention :bang: I was more angry than I had ever been when she said that, but like always, I'd kept it to myself.

Keeping all this in can't be good for me. I cry to myself because I feel so overwhelmed with feelings that I can't tell anyone about. Sometimes, I'll stub my toe or something and burst into tears because it all hits me at once.

Stress from being in the closet probably isn't helping me either.:bang:

I don't trust people easily, and tend to put other's feelings before my own. I feel like I give, but I never get anything back from people.

:help:
    Sorry this post is such a mess.

2. zerogravity

Your friends are probably going through a lot of their own stuff right now and thats why they seem fake. They probably aren't fake though and their own stress is keeping them from being super supportive.

Is there a trusted adult you can talk to? Maybe a guidance councillor or someone who is trained to help people with their problems? Parents aren't always the best people to talk to as you have found out. Personally, I started going to a therapist and it really helped.

3. kristine9992

I know EXACTLY how you feel. It makes it seem like you're feelings aren't as important or you're not worthy enough to be cared about :frowning2: but you are cared about here! And I agree with talking to a councelor or therapist....it really works!!!

4. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I want to ask you something. If you feel empty inside, how are you giving to people?
    I think the best thing you can do right now is talk to your parents about seeking a therapist, or councelor, because you are not going to be able to deal with all of this bottled up emotions alone, and you wont want to. You could risk being exposed to feelings that you dont understand, and reacting on them.... Needless to say, self harm

All we want is your safety. So it would be most advisable that you should too.
    Seek someone to talk to about how you feel. They will be able to provide tools for you so that you can learn to express how you truly feel in society.

Please be smart, safe, and good luck

5. Saikou7

Thank you. I never thought of it that way. (*hug*)

I feel like I'm trying to seek help, but it isn't coming. I always try to help others with their problems, but I don't feel it being reciprocated.

I would never self-harm. I've had many of my friends go down that path before, and it isn't pretty. I'll try talking to my parents. Thank you (*hug*)

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! (*hug*) I echo the suggestion of trying to talk to a counselor. A counselor is actually a really good person to talk to. A counselor can also help you in overcoming your 'fear' of talking or opening up to others and helping you to start moving forward.

Try to talk about your bottled up feelings and emotions. If you have a friend that you can trust, maybe try opening up a little bit to that friend. You know, it is okay to ask someone, 'could you please listen, I need to talk.' Even if it is just for ten minutes, but it could help you a little bit.

Besides your parents, another person you could talk to is a teacher. If there is a teacher that you like and trust, maybe try talking to him/her in his/her office after class or school.

If you can, and even though it might be hard at times, try to create a support network around you on which you can rely on for support and comfort. (*hug*)

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the same problem. I'm seeing a shrink next week that a very good friend recommended me. If i get any useful insights i'll come back and let you know