1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will being gay affect me wanting to move to US?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by QuietDude, Mar 15, 2011.

1. QuietDude

I have always wanted to move to America ever since I was little and I know how hard it is to get in especially as I do not have a degree or a relative that lives there.

I have heard that the best way is to marry an american citizen but that won't work for obvious reasons. I know gay people can get married in a few states but would that be recognised the same as marriage if you want to move to the US???

Obviously because of my age I won't be able to do it for a while anyway for financial reasons etc and I don't intend on finding a random American online to marry me either, maybe If I take a holiday I might meet someone you never know.

2. Eric

My understanding is that in the states where same-sex marriage is legal, it's equal to different-sex marriage. However, it's probably not advisable to marry someone for the simple purpose of being allowed to stay in the country.

I'm not even sure the US is worth getting married to someone you mightn't know very well. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    depends how bad you want to get in, and how committed you are to it!

4. Zontar

Marriages of convenience for that reason are illegal, I believe. The penalty for that is immediate deportation and prosecution of the complicit citizen. The USCIS lists a five-year prision term and fines of up to $250,000:

With that in mind, I would seek other avenues. Being gay should not affect your entry into the US, though...we don't discriminate against who we take in and never have. The only thing I can think of that would interfere is if you are HIV positive, which applies equally to anyone with HIV anyway and has been in effect since the late eighties.

5. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, it wouldn't. Specific states' laws allowing marriage are not recognized by the US government for immigration purposes.

6. Sanssouci

DOMA prevents same-sex marriages being recognised by immigration. The states that recognise such unions might give you benefits, but you'll have to wait until DOMA is repealed to immigrate on that basis. You might be able to get on some other merit though.

7. Zontar

Fuck, that's right.

I never want to hear another religious conservative bitch when portions of DOMA are struck down for inequality.

8. QuietDude

Thanks for the replies everyone but can I just say I do NOT intend on marrying someone just to get into the US, im not that desperate. I just know that is the easiest way to go about it.

Hopefully by the time I have the money this DOMA thing wil have been repealed! How likely is it that it will be repealed anyways??

9. Zontar

Parts of it were just struck down in a circuit court last year. It's only been around for fifteen years and it's beginning to be taken down. Give it five or ten years and some other court cases.

10. Flyers2011

Being gay won't affect you getting into America. I don't even think that they ask about sexual orientation.

I'm not too clear on the immigration laws though, I suggest looking on the U.S government's website. You might even be able to contact an immigration authority and ask them your questions.

11. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Just posting that ruined your ability to marry and get into the country through that way.

They do search for things on the internet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Any marriage, real or fake you get into with an American will be voided now.

America's immigration policy is a bitch.

12. Mr.Pushover

No, that's not true, he just disregarded the whole marrying an American just to get in if you didn't understand him

13. Fintan

I am no expert... but young Scottish guy, even without a university degree is probably better educated than a lot of US immigrants, knows the language and wouldn't have major cultural differences to contend with. :wink:

14. Aya McCabre

HIV status no longer has an impact on immigration.

15. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not quite. Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, the National Origins Formula of 1924, and the Immigration Acts of 1917, 1924, and 1952 mean anything to you?

But there is no reason that being gay would necessarily forbid you from immigrating here legally today.

16. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As others said, you can't stay in the US by marriage unless to a woman due to DOMA, which is bullshit stupid law. If you want to live in North America, I'd move to Canada where you can get married to a dude and my perception is that there are fewer bigots than in the US. You'd be close to the US so you could probably get a passport to visit the if you want. If I were you, I'd move to a European gay friendly country if you want to move, skip the US other than for a visit.