1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haunting mistake...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Mar 18, 2011.

1. I don't know what to do... Okay so in the summer I made a mistake and slept with a guy I work with and now it is haunting me... I slept with him and then found out he had a boyfriend after and felt like a complete tool and asshole and didn't know what to do... I just ignored it, told him it wouldn't happen ever again and it was a mistake... Well now... He won't stop texting m about it... Idk what to do... Ive told him to stop and he won't.... And idk today he said something that is really scary and bad to me... He said " well at least I will always be able to reminisce :wink:" :frowning2: my friends have told me to report him... And to try and switch to a different crew but I am afraid it will get worse then... He will know why I switched or he might get fired... Or idk... I just don't know what to do... I don't want to make things worse.//

2. EM68

I would just tell him to stop texting you. Tell him you are not interested. After that I would block his number on your phone. If he continues or you feel theatened then go to the authorities.

3. Beertruck

Okay, first off - this guy is an ass. He had a boyfriend and slept with you anyway, and now is trying to hit you up again? Cut him off, tell him he's harassing you (and he is, this is sexual harassment if all of this is unwanted) and that if he doesn't you'll report him to your mutual supervisor. Maybe just the threat of a sexual harassment charge will get him to stop.

That being said, I don't think that reminiscing about something is necessarily a threat. To me - and again, I'm basing this entirely out of context and don't know you or the situation in which he said it - he's more or less given up on trying to get with you and will be remembering it. Creepy? Yes. Threatening? Maybe not.

4. Well now I don't know if I did the right thing :\ I texted one of my supervisors and asked her what she thought, I didn't use any names or anything and she told me that I should report it to a higher up... at the very least try to switch crews if I don't feel comfortable/safe working on that crew... So I did... and then I came on here and read what everyone said and now I'm all worried because I feel like I may have over reacted or something idk... :frowning2: I don't want to work with the guy anymore... and I have told him to stop texting me before... I don't know how to block a number tho and didn't do that... I don't know I feel like now I did the wrong thing and that someone may lose their job because of me... I just don't know what to do :frowning2: When I emailed the higher up, I didn't use names again so there is nothing really identifying about it... so Idk... should I just be like never mind about it... I just don't know...

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You did the right thing. He wasn't honoring your requests to leave him alone, and as others have said, he clearly is willing to cheat on his bf to be with you, so this is not someone you want to be with.

Don't overanalyze and don't stress. You looked out for yourself, you didn't "out" him, so there shouldn't be any problems.

6. olides84

Yeah, while reminiscing is more creepy then threatening, I think the main point is that you can't trust this guy to leave you alone and you say that you don't want to work with him anymore. Just see what happens with the higher ups and if they offer you a different crew, go for it and don't look back.

7. Ianthe

Someone who is harassing you has no right to expect your protection. Whether he is out at work or not, he lost the right to your protection of him when he persisted in texting you and making sexual advances after you had repeatedly refused and asked him to stop.

This is sexual harassment, you realize, and your employer is obligated to take it seriously. They may question you about who has been bothering you--they need to do something to prevent it from happening to anyone else. They have a responsibility to make sure that their employees are not subjected to a hostile work environment. They will almost definitely at least transfer you, as per your request. If they fail to do anything after you have reported this to them, you could potentially sue, and would probably win.

The fact is, you are talking about something for which you could take very serious legal action, so I don't think you are overreacting at all. If he has persisted in bothering you after you have repeatedly asked him to stop, I think you could probably take out a restraining order against him. I mean, if someone is bothering you and won't leave you alone, that is something you can report to the police, so reporting it to your employer can hardly be considered excessive.

I think you've done the right thing. If he continues bothering you, be clear with him that you aren't going to put up with it and that harassing you further will have serious consequences. If he continues after that, you can take whatever action you need to in order to get him to stop, starting with the least harsh and working upward.

8. flymetothemoon

I don't think you overreacted. I think you did the right thing. At this point, you haven't mentioned names, so he isn't going to get fired over it because they won't know it is him unless they question you (and if they do, you didn't provide the name until they determined that it was something where they needed to take action and asked you for more information, you didn't do it because you wanted anything bad to happen to him). You are just looking out for yourself, your safety, and your comfort, which are things you should have.

9. Flyers2011

You did the right thing. He was harassing you and making you very uncomfortable. Switching shifts was probably the best thing you could've done.

You need to block him on Facebook and your phone though. He could still continue to harrass you.

To block a phone number, you can call your service provider and when you talk to a customer service agent, tell them you need a number blocked, then you give them the number and they will block it. No questions asked.

However, most blocks only stay up for about three months. But you can always go back and put it back on if need be.