1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wig help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by malachite, Mar 19, 2011.

1. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I'm going as Danny Phantom to Mega-Con this year, I got my wig today, problem is it's too long about shouder length, I need to trim it but I've never cut any hair before.

Can you cut wig hair like normal hair?

Any help anyone can give would be awsome, thanks

2. Flyers2011

Yeah you can cut wigs like normal hair. My mom's a hair dresser and at her old job this lady who had to wear wigs because of a disease used to come in and get her wigs trimmed every once in awhile. That way she could have a new style without having to buy a new wig and it boosted her self-esteem a little too.

Most wigs are made out of human hair. So they can be washed, dried, and cut like human hair.

When you get it done and if you go to a stylist, do tell the stylist you're wearing a wig, and how you want it cut. They might need you to wear it. It all depends on the stylist.

If you do it yourself, put it on a mannequin or something. That way it can be in the shape of a head and you can maneuver a lot easier. You can probably even watch videos on the internet for hair-cutting techniques.

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks I was thinking about going to a salon to get it cut

4. Flyers2011

I do suggest calling around to some, just to see who can give you a good cut for cheap. Prices and ability vary greatly from one salon to another. Explain that it's for a wig and they might be able to recommend someone to you.

Some salons even have people who specialize in building wigs. They would definitely be worth checking out.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    don't heat it up, It probably isn't human hair, and heat will have .... unintentional consequences, think, wicked witch of the west meets water. that aside, yes it can be cut, but i would just pay the couple bucks for the great clips haircut, much much easier, NOT THAT I RECOMMEND LETTING THEM CUT HUMAN HAIR >just saying<