1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

workplace harassment

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by anthonyroleak, Mar 20, 2011.

1. anthonyroleak

I am a Journeman in the trades and Years ago I transitioned (ftm) on the job. and it did not go very well, I work for the union and although i went to a different job and stated that job off as the person i am now eventualy people who knew me from the last job came to my job site and then my secret came out. There was alot of passing remarks made, vandalizing my toolbox and locker.... It got so bad I asked for a layoff and went to work outside of my trade. ( I did ask the union for help but they claimed they could do nothing,) I tried to get the problem fixed but the stress got to me and i gave up fighting, it seemed to be a losing battle anyway.
    Now I am returning to the oilfield through my union again so there is a very good chance that it will happen again, of couse i am hopeing for the best but planning for the worst.

So I am trying to figure out what course of action i am going to take if it comes up again

- I could deny it and hope that denial works better then last time
    - I could not lie and be very upfront the first time i am questioned

I am leaning towards the 2nd, I am much stronger now then i was then and I feel i could handle the stress that might comealong with insisting i get treated fairly and keep working.

I live in redneck alberta ( i love it here but even my family is full of rednecks) and i have alot of investigating to do about laws reguarding harasment in the workplace, and the legal roads needed. But I plan to keep track of everything from the moment i get on the job of all unapropreat4e comments and behaviours so i have a recorded history if it is needed.

anyone else delt with this already and maybe know a bit about the legalities of harassment ect. and opinions on my best coarse of action.

(There is some reason to worry, as I will be in camp, and there is definately a higher risk out there of physical altercations, but this part I just chose not to think about and try not to factor it into my decision making)
    thanks

2. Ianthe

You actually have a third option as well--you could be completely open, and not wait for anyone to ask.

I don't think denying it is really any kind of option if people are asking you. If they are asking you, they already know, and denying it will just make you seem ashamed, and weak. Bullies prey on the weak.

Telling when asked is better, but it still means that you are coming out on their terms, instead of your own. It may seem as if you have confessed only because you were cornered, and again, you would seem ashamed and weak.

If you think it's probable that your coworkers are going to find out, I think your best option is to engage in some proactive self-advocacy, so that they all know about you on your own terms. You don't want it to seem like something they have caught you at. So, your best bet is to just openly refer to your experience as a trans person from the beginning. It gives you both the position of strength, and the perceived moral high ground of having been "honest" from the beginning.

You're much better off if you come out than if you are found out. I'm not a trans person, but that is my general life experience.

3. Josh21

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi!

As laws vary depending on location, I found some information specifically for Alberta. The Alberta Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination because of gender and specifically mentions transgender.

When you experienced discrimination last time, did you try contacting the Alberta Human Rights Commission? They would be able to do more to help you than your union.

Please have a look at this website:

http://www.albertahumanrights.ab.ca/employment/employee_info/what_to_do/what_to_do.asp

There's a lot of info there on what to do if you are discriminated against. You were right that it is a good idea to keep notes. You can also call a confidential inquiry line to get more information on your options. See here:

http://www.albertahumanrights.ab.ca/education/confidential_inquiries.asp

All the best! :slight_smile:

4. anthonyroleak

my employer didnt discriminate against me, it was harrasment by my coworkers, but i will definately do some more research.
    I dont think "coming out" as trans is for me, I feel like just a regular guy and from experience know people treat me different when the find out about my past. Being trans and "out" i find is totaly different then being out about sexual orientation. Its strange but i will explain myself best i can, and this is my opinion of my experiences not saying other people think like me. I am trans because I was born with the wrong parts ( or brain) and now that i am living my life the way i needed to I dont feel trans anymore, I feel like just a guy, nothing will ever change my past but living out is supposed to be a freeing experience but for me now I find it strange to talk about my genitals and their past.
    I do understand the Power play involved with saying it first, i just dont want everyone to know. but i dont think i will get that wish. maybe a middle of the road would be to say nothing but when asked dont over react and kinda play the ya so, i kind of thought the gossip had already gone around about me( which is the truth i think)

thank you both for your imput it is greatly appreciated!!

5. Jay

Jay

Your employer is responsible for having a safe place for you to work. Because he isn't discriminating against you doesn't mean that your coworkers have the right to do it either.

6. Ianthe

Well, I think you know how you want to proceed, then. Make sure you're ready for them to ask, and that when they do, you come out strong, and it doesn't seem like they've caught you. Making out like you're surprised, and you thought that everybody knew that, isn't a bad idea.

I think that some things are different about being out as trans rather than gay--particularly in the circumstance where you are post-transition, as in your case. (The main difference is, you may well feel that being out prevents people from seeing who you really are, rather than causing them to see who you really are for the first time.)

But some things are the same: the fear of being found out, maybe most of all, and the feeling that people will reject you once they know the truth.

And not being out makes you invisible, including to other trans people and their families. If people don't know that you are trans, then knowing you does not alter their ideas about trans people.

The transwoman who's still coming out to herself, struggling with her identity, will not look at you and think, "Well, maybe this can be all right." When your coworker's niece comes out as a transman, his uncle will not be able to tell him and his parents about "this guy he knew at work." The way people vote on trans issues will not change. But these things are about other people, and society, rather than about you personally. You aren't obligated to make the personal sacrifice, and naturally will want to do what is right for yourself.

Good luck, and I hope you let us know how it goes at work.