1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physical Attraction?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Josh21, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Josh21

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the main reason I have been confused about my orientation for many years is that I find women extremely physically attractive. I often catch myself checking out women and thinking about how beautiful they are. I also find women very attractive on a personal/emotional level and enjoy spending time with them. I love flirting with women. I guess the only part that was never really there was that sexual 'pull'.

I have read that some gay guys find the image of a naked woman disgusting, or even the thought of it disgusting, or that they just don't like the idea of it. I would say that I find women at least as physically attractive as males, it's just that I don't find them sexually attractive. Is this unusual?

It sounds silly now, but the conclusion I came to when I was younger was that my penis was attracted to males and my head was attracted to females!! My current theory is that maybe because i am a very visual/artistic person I appreciate all beauty on some sort of artistic level without being necessarily attracted to the person? And I guess I am very social and love interacting with people so this is why I love to flirt with females?

Any insight on this would be much appreciated!

Josh

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe part of it has to do with being raised in a heterosexual world where we hear guys talking about how hot women are and we learn what physical features are desirable. That's all I ever heard and all I ever knew. I think some women are good looking and appreciate their beauty. I'm not sure how much of my opinion of beauty is learned or is my own instinct.

3. Flyers2011

There are theories that everyone has slight attractions to both genders. Like, you can tell when a woman is beautiful, right? Even straight guys are slightly homosexual, because they can tell when a guy is handsome, right? And they also have an emotional desire to be around guys, even if it's just as friends.

Yet you don't see yourself as being sexually attracted to women. No big deal. You can tell when they're beautiful, and you can connect to them on an emotional level, but you don't want to have sex with them.

It's not unusual. Have you ever heard of the Kinsey scale? It can help measure your attraction to men and women. No one is one hundred percent gay or one hundred percent straight.

Some gay men find the idea of sleeping with a woman or seeing a woman naked disgusting. That's their view on it. Being a gay female myself, I don't want to see a guy naked. It doesn't interest me. It doesn't gross me out, but I don't see myself having sex with a guy. Yet, I am able to connect on emotional levels with them.

I know a gay guy who loves to flirt with girls. Actually, he flirts with girls and when they ask him out he says, "Oh honey, I'm gay," and laughs about it while the girl walks away feeling hurt. I think he just likes attention. Oh and he'll post about it on Facebook.

But there's nothing wrong with playful flirting as long as both sides of the interation know that nothing will come from it. If the girl you're flirting with knows that you have no ambition to sleep with her, no harm no foul. Try not to lead anyone on, you don't want to hurt anyone.

4. TheJoker

Josh, i find women more beatiful. I had crushes only to women so far. I knew i was attracted to girls long time. I had 2 girlfriends and probably had as much as (if not more) straight guy can have sex with them.

At the end of the day, i think i'm gay.Sexual attraction,thrill? i don't know.Maybe it might be something with when you realized or accepted you are gay.

Also beautiful people catch our eyes no matter what our orientation.Most of straight girls&boys look at beautiful people in their gender too.

By the way flirting is fun and flattering,anyway.

#4 TheJoker, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  5. BloodyRose3000

I felt the same exact way for a long time. After finally accepting that I was gay (not long ago) I found my attraction to men strengthen, however. I still think girls are beautiful/pretty etc, but I have almost no sexual attraction to them.

6. TheDarkerPoet

Check out the Kinsey Scale. As Flyers said, nobody is 100% gay or straight.
    I know a straight male friend who has crushes on a lot of guys simply because he thinks men are beautiful. He would never want to do anything sexual with them, but he (and I quote), "just loves men!"

Your post sounds similar on some level to my experience with men. I find men attractive I find a man's body can be quite beautiful. However, I would not desire to have a sexual relationship with them. I could see getting along with a guy and flirting with him very easily - because, on a certain level, I find them attractive.
    With women, I love everything about them, so I know I'm pretty gay.

I think it's perfectly normal to find women attractive on an emotional/physical level. You like to spend time with them. You think they're beautiful. You just don't want a sexual relationship.

I would suggest spending more of your time around guys to get in touch with your "gay side", per say. See if any of your male friends strike your fancy.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

7. bari94

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I felt the same way as you. And I still think that women are beautiful.

As for what you read, everyone is different. There are no rules to being gay. Everyone feels differently. Just be you.

8. zoeee

hey, I can totally relate to you, it's just the opposite way round with me. I find loads of guys pretty and attractive, I just couldn't imagine having sex with them really. Whereas when I see a pretty girl, I can totally do that :grin: So don't worry, I think it doesn't matter as long as you're cool with it. I have had troubles coming to terms with what I really felt cos all that "fluid sexuality" stuff didn't helpt me at all, I wanted to know what it's all about. Finally I think I have realised that it's mostly girls, but maybe I'll meet a guy who I wanna get physical with, then that's cool, too. (Don't think that'll happen, though)