1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toast

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thedreamwatch, Mar 20, 2011.

1. I am the maid of honor in my friend's wedding and I need to give a toast. I am generally pretty articulate in these situations, but this time it's my BEST friend and I love them both so much I'm afraid to completely f*ck it all up. The wedding is not for a while so I have a lot of time to think about it, but that seems to be compounding the problem by allowing me to overthink the whole deal.

Anybody ever have to do one of those? Any rules for wedding toasts? Any suggestions in what always works well?

Advice appreciated guys. Thanks :slight_smile:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few suggestions.

1. KISS. Keep it simple, sis. :slight_smile: Don't feel the need to ramble on.
    2. You say you love them both so much. Presumably you knew her before he came around. So you might frame your toast in those terms - the idea that you assumed that because you thought she was so good that you knew you wouldn't accept just ANY guy for her. Which is why you were so tickled when you met him, because he was such a cool guy, and they meshed so well, they made each other even better.

Lex

3. Okay yeah, that's good stuff. And it's true, I did know her first and met him after she did. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH I just love them and I'm nervous because I suddenly have this important role in their day of union!

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

They picked you for a reason so don't worry too much about it! :slight_smile:

Lex gave some good suggestions. All I can say is good luck because I suck at emotional speeches myself xD

5. zerogravity

I have been to a few weddings recently and heard these speeches. Don't stress too much - maid of honor speeches are usually unmemorable. Talk about how you were inseperable as kids, how her and soandso are perfect for each other, and how you two always dreamed about this day and how beautiful it is. Just keep it short, not too cheezy or catty.

Just be thankful that you don't have to give a "best man" speech, as those are supposed to be more like roasts and walk a fine line between being funny and being offensive. A bad best man's speech can ruin a wedding, but a maid of honor speech is kindof meh and is more for the bride than anything.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I just love them and I'm nervous because I suddenly have this important role in their day of union!

Keep one huge fact in mind - this is not your day. This is their day. I've seen all sorts of things go wrong at weddings and receptions - lousy preachers, people forgetting how and when to proceed in and out of the church, musicians and singers out of tune, things falling over, rubbery chicken, crappy DJs, power outages, and yes, less-than-stellar speeches. (I probably gave a couple.) You know what? Nobody remembers that stuff. No one looks back at their wedding day and says "Your best man ruined the wedding reception with his lousy speech." (OK, someone might, but that best man had to WORK on writing a speech that awful.) When they look back, they remember getting married, having all their loved ones there, and that's about it. So don't worry about "ruining" anything. Keep it simple, let the love flow from your heart through your words, and sit back down so you can get back to the doing the electric slide. ("It's electric! Boogie woogie woogie...")

Lex

7. Hahaha thanks Lex :slight_smile:

And yeah, I guess that's true. Nobody is going to remember what I said unless I make it REALLY awful. And plus, she's my closest friend and he's my best lesbro and I love them and I'm positive that together they will have a wonderful life together. I guess that's all I gotta say. (Maybe not the part about him being my best lesbro hahahaha)